Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA CLUB Where to join?

Options
  • 11-02-2009 5:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Can sombody list the MMA club that i can join and start training in Dublin?. I know Kokoro MMA costs around 60 quid and thats very expensive. I would like to join and i would want to find one thats will not cost me much. I am desperate to learn MMA and i want to learn the fundamentals of Stands up, Clinch, Ground Figthing and submission. I dont want the costs of fees stands in my way of learning MMA. I am looking to join one thats affordable

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 subvictory

Where abouts in are you based? 60 quid seems very reasonable for a months training, there are better places to train though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

MMAfanboy wrote: »
    Can sombody list the MMA club that i can join and start training in Dublin?. I know Kokoro MMA costs around 60 quid and thats very expensive. I would like to join and i would want to find one thats will not cost me much. I am desperate to learn MMA and i want to learn the fundamentals of Stands up, Clinch, Ground Figthing and submission. I dont want the costs of fees stands in my way of learning MMA. I am looking to join one thats affordable

€60 is not expensive when you divide by the number of hours you will be training a month,.

Here are the other Dublin Clubs http://kevinly.yore.ma/mmaclubs.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

MMAfanboy wrote: »
    60e is expensive to you? They train 5 days a week and 6 for the fight team, thats 20 classes a month, 3 e a class. Seems quite reasonable to me.

Just out of curiosity what is a reasonable price to you? I doubt you'll find anywhere for the low low price you want if your to learn the fundamentals of Stands up, Clinch, Ground Figthing and submission

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Derek Coleman

Yeah I don't know much about prices of other clubs but €60 for a month is probably average. just guessin! You'd spent more on a night out on ONE saturday so I always justify it to myself.

Last year in the cold months they were getting an average of 10 to 14 people a class and a few more in the summer.
    This year they had to split the class into two and they'd average 25+ people easily in the one class. So two classes a night every week night and then saturday training for the team.
    So some people think its an alright price.

Probably best to factor in travel costs aswell if you have to travel far to whatever gym you decide on. I think we are quite lucky in Dublin because there seems to be a gym within reasonable distance of all areas. And good gyms at that. So plenty to decide on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 MMAfanboy

60e is expensive to you? They train 5 days a week and 6 for the fight team, thats 20 classes a month, 3 e a class. Seems quite reasonable to me.

Just out of curiosity what is a reasonable price to you? I doubt you'll find anywhere for the low low price you want if your to learn the fundamentals of Stands up, Clinch, Ground Figthing and submission

I am looking to pay around say 30-50 euro. I do not work and getting job is very hard nowdays. All i got is 50 euro from my parents and if i ended paying 60 euro a month surely i will be bankrupt. I am so passionate to learn MMA and i willing to sacrifice my savings just to train Mixed martial Arts. I wish i could pay the rate and i only can pay 50 euro max. Its just the cost are holding me back and i dont blame the club at all. Im here just to ask people if they can give me mma club thats doesnt cost me 50 euro above. Hope thats explain everything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Maybe if you explain your personal situation to the club you decide to join they might be able to make some kind of arrangment but none of the MMA clubs I've been in in Dublin (and i've been in the vast majority) are profiteering. They're charging what they need to do keep their doors open in this very expensive climate (insurance, lighting, heating, rent, equipment all adds up very quickly).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭wayne1

Hi there ,We should be able to help u out there, There's a phone number on the site.

http://combatsportsireland.net/

hope thats helps u .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭mmaireland.com

Anyone that want's to discuss gym pricing is welcome to give me a shout. 087 792 8363.

Cheers. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Yo. Negotiate for an extra €20 to come to www.ko-martialarts.com
    Cut the grass or something I dunno. The alternative is that if you're under 16 we have a teens class for €50 per month.

I think if you break stuff down, any club in Dublin this is, to how many classes you could do versus cost I think you'd see that it's very reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Anyone that want's to discuss gym pricing is welcome to give me a shout. 087 792 8363.

Cheers. :cool:

There you go, that is a bloke from the actual gym. You never know, you could get something for 50 a month. Good luck OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Judomad

no offence but u sound like a charity case here....the prices are all laid out to you in the first place, if your oh so passionate and desperate to learn them fundamentals then coughing up an extra tenner a month shouldn't be too hard, thats 2.50 a week..in fairness this shouldn't stop you from training, i pay 10 euro a day to travel back and forth to training EVERYDAY aswell as my monthly gym fee's, i dont work either, but MMA is also my passion and any money i have is used towards this, same way you should......hope nobodies offended by this just me speaking my mind after a long long day :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Drunkmonkey79

Judomad wrote: »
    no offence but u sound like a charity case here....the prices are all laid out to you in the first place, if your oh so passionate and desperate to learn them fundamentals then coughing up an extra tenner a month shouldn't be too hard, thats 2.50 a week..in fairness this shouldn't stop you from training, i pay 10 euro a day to travel back and forth to training EVERYDAY aswell as my monthly gym fee's, i dont work either, but MMA is also my passion and any money i have is used towards this, same way you should......hope nobodies offended by this just me speaking my mind after a long long day :D

How can you start a rant like that with 'no offence', Its clearly personal abuse calling him a charity case. How would you like it if someone called you a sponger for not working?
    Not everyone has the same expendable income, this guy has €50 and thats his budget. He's only askin to be pointed in the right direction for what he can afford and Being passionate about something doesn't cost money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

I'm sure most gym owners including myself would be happy to negioate with ppl like yourself.

Maybe you could show your appreciation by decorating Shane's house. Ever see the Karate Kid??:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Just out of curosity do any of the clubs around offer a pay as you go service? the OP might feel better off controlling how much spends on training himself.

Raze, the quoted section above does seem a fairly good bargin but if the OP hasn't ever trained in MMA before he probably won't be training 5/6 times a week. In my experience beginners usually start off with 2/3 classes a week and once they start getting into it they take on more classes.

OP it can be expensive starting off in MMA but once you get your membership out of the way and start buying equipment, it gets a lot cheaper after that. As said before I'd be lucky to spend only 50 on a night out.

Personal abuse? LOL. Easy tiger. Judoman didnt slag his ma or anything. Love how high and mighty people get when they come on here. Take a chill pill. :)

Judomad wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat as Gary, I'm not working either, I go to kickboxing 3 days a week plus during the week I usually make it in to roll with some of the boys for an hour or two and occasionaly make it up to dublin for a training session. I wish training would only cost 60e a month
    Just out of curosity do any of the clubs around offer a pay as you go service? the OP might feel better off controlling how much spends on training himself.

Raze, the quoted section above does seem a fairly good bargin but if the OP hasn't ever trained in MMA before he probably won't be training 5/6 times a week. In my experience beginners usually start off with 2/3 classes a week and once they start getting into it they take on more classes.

OP it can be expensive starting off in MMA but once you get your membership out of the way and start buying equipment, it gets a lot cheaper after that. As said before I'd be lucky to spend only 50 on a night out.
    While I agree about him not wanting to start off the 5/6 days a week, thats another added incentive of paying for a month up front. You've the class paid for you may as well go, if you operate a pay as you go way you can get a bit lazy and not go training.

You rought up a good point too about buying the gear, The op has no chance to train when he has to buy the gear, hell a pair of shorts will nearly take what he's looking to spend in a month, then when you add in gloves, gum shield, groin guard, rash guard he's easily looking at 100e+

Why should I pay more for training than someone who doesn't have a job? I don't agree with people getting discounts on anything just because they're unemployed. If you can't afford it, tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

We (Rush fight academy) charge people as they go, the fight team pay a reduced monthly rate and everyone else pays a tenner a session-thats not bad for 2 hours training, considering large non fighting gyms charge 20 euro to use them pay as you go! as its not full time its better that way, plus people can train as often or little as they choose.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

subvictory wrote: »
    Why should I pay more for training than someone who doesn't have a job? I don't agree with people getting discounts on anything just because they're unemployed. If you can't afford it, tough.

reminds me of the parable of the workers in the vineyard.

Yea but at least those dudes worked for a living :D

• Advertisement

How can you start a rant like that with 'no offence', Its clearly personal abuse calling him a charity case. How would you like it if someone called you a sponger for not working?
    Not everyone has the same expendable income, this guy has €50 and thats his budget. He's only askin to be pointed in the right direction for what he can afford and Being passionate about something doesn't cost money!

hhmmm well ill be honest i started that "rant" by typing the letters n.o o.f.f.e.n.c.e. one after another then continuing on with what i was saying :D no but in all seriouslness i never said he was a charity case, i said it sounds like it.
    if you called me a sponger id probably tell my ma or something...
    OP....the gym fee's are only a start to your financial worries, you will need to think of how much it will cost you for a gear bag(if you dont have one), a gum shield(them lifestyle 3 euro just wont cut it in MMA:D, MMA gloves, sparring gloves and boxing gloves too, you will need shorts, groin guard and of course the magical bus fair too...
    i hope it works out for you as its great seeing people taking such a high interest in MMA.

Personal abuse? LOL. Easy tiger. Judoman didnt slag his ma or anything. Love how high and mighty people get when they come on here. Take a chill pill. :)

hahahahahahahahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

OP, have you tried another style of M.A?.

Reason I say this is, you might find one equally as enjoyable thats well within your budget and then when your economic finances improve and if you've still got the passion you can move onto MMA with at least a good foundation in something.

A lot of the MMA lads here have a background in another style, everything from Karate to Judo to BJJ or Muay Thai & Kickboxing so don't give up just because of a shortage of money (or some of the attitudes lovely things said here ;) ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 MMAfanboy

Mairt wrote: »
    OP, have you tried another style of M.A?.

Reason I say this is, you might find one equally as enjoyable thats well within your budget and then when your economic finances improve and if you've still got the passion you can move onto MMA with at least a good foundation in something.

A lot of the MMA lads here have a background in another style, everything from Karate to Judo to BJJ or Muay Thai & Kickboxing so don't give up just because of a shortage of money (or some of the attitudes lovely things said here ;) ).

Thats explanation are very good i would like to thank you for that and makes me feel better. Im here to ask people if i could join MMA club that doesnt cost me 40 or 50 euro above and theres very few MMA club who charge that Price. I have research lots of MMA club and i found that Kokoro are the Cheapest but i simply could not afford it because of the budget. I have nothing against Kokoro, training are good, places is not bad and the trainer are superb. I am not looking to ask for Discount prices for the membership because its just unfair to other people. Other non martial arts club they charge probably the same but i should not give up trying. The reasons is why i want to do MMA is because i found it interesting and i would like to give it a shot. I done taekwondo before and now i would like to give MMA a go. I understand now the economy are bad and MMA club are trying to keep the rate reasonable for everyone. This forum has received many replies and i would like to thank you for the people for information and support. Thats means lots to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭KevinH

What age are you?

Your local boxing club would charge you a few euro a night and it'd be a good place to start until you can afford to join an MMA club (start saving!).

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭David Jones

Next Generation

30 euro for U18s and unemployed. 3 classes per week, 12 per month, 2.50 per class. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Next Generation

30 euro for U18s and unemployed. 3 classes per week, 12 per month, 2.50 per class. :-)

Dave a quick question.

Whats to say people will not just say there unemployed to save a few quid..
    the under age thing is a good idea in my opinion.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

easy - Lie detector test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

cowzerp wrote: »
    Dave a quick question.

Whats to say people will not just say there unemployed to save a few quid..
    the under age thing is a good idea in my opinion.

If he's malnourished he's unemployed

Alternatively you could just look at his runners

• Advertisement

Killme00 wrote: »
    If he's malnourished he's unemployed

Alternatively you could just look at his runners bare feet
    FYP;)

Advertisement