Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA CLUB Where to join?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

FYP;)

He walks to training in his bare feet, what is he, a kenyan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Was hoping this thread would get on back track by itself .......:rolleyes:.......please respond to the question asked by the OP or, alternatively start a new thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Ryanzo

Spartan MMA, Tallaght, gonna join there meself soon enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭raptorman

Here's a link to a thread about DCU's MMA club on the SD&MA section. Its cheap as chips!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055465780

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 MMAfanboy

raptorman wrote: »
    Here's a link to a thread about DCU's MMA club on the SD&MA section. Its cheap as chips!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055465780

This is the club!. They only charge you 5 euro per week and if you reckon going there for a month it will be around 20 euro( Avg 4 weeks per month). If you are thinking of going once a week you only have to pay 12 euro per month(3 euro per class). For me not bad ill probably give it a go for a while and when my budget is better then maybe joining those top mma clubs like kokoro, spartan,.. etc. Great way to start. First class is free and there is no reason for people not to try it first to see what is it like. I heard there many people are training over there and hope trainer is good too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Derek Coleman

Hope it works out for ya. The more people in the sport the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

I personally find the you-can-train-nonstop-everyday-for-this-price argument to be quite poor. A lot of people have time constraints that limit how often they can train and these fixed monthly fees just negate any possibility of your payment fitting into your timetable/lifestyle. I can empathise with the OP as it was only a few years ago I had a similarly small pocket money budget with which to use so don't give the lad a hard time over that. That said, 30-60 euro is very good value imo especially if you are getting training in the different aspects of MMA. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

MMAfanboy wrote: »
    Can sombody list the MMA club that i can join and start training in Dublin?. I know Kokoro MMA costs around 60 quid and thats very expensive.

I would hate to see your reaction if you went to NY where its $210 a month for Renzo Gracie Academy and $150 a month for Phil Nurse's WAT gym. 60 euros is a bargain in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    I would hate to see your reaction if you went to NY where its $210 a month for Renzo Gracie Academy and $150 a month for Phil Nurse's WAT gym. 60 euros is a bargain in comparison.

Not to put anyone down, but Renzo Gracie is not coaching at Kokoro :pac: And Dublin is not New York

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Fozzy wrote: »
    Not to put anyone down, but Renzo Gracie is not coaching at Kokoro :pac: And Dublin is not New York

Wow great find. Nothing escapes you. :rolleyes: It was a comparison to show that 60 euros a month is nothing compared to other gyms.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Hey,

I'm a humble guy, who does humble things like coaching and trying to keep a full time gym open. If anyone wants to come look at my accountant reports from last year they're quite welcome, seriously, to come and do so. I opened KO Martial Arts as a labour of love. It makes some money for me, sure, I'd never deny that but I'd be better off in McDonalds. No joke. Some people, and I think the bulk of guys involved full time in MMA fall into this category, just want to see full time facilities available to their athletes, and want their gyms to be the best they can be regardless of the cost to them. If I charged any less (going twice per week in my gym will cost you €3.50 a night, going to all the classes will cost you €1.80 per class) the gym would not exist, and instead of people asking "why can't you get full time training for €40 a month?", people would be asking "why can't you get full time training?"

But I forgot, this is the internet, where somehow people have all the answers. So if anyone has a suggestion of how to keep a full time gym, with a full time coach employed without him living in a cardboard box, with really great facilities, I'm all ears.

Valmont wrote: »
    I personally find the you-can-train-nonstop-everyday-for-this-price argument to be quite poor. A lot of people have time constraints that limit how often they can train and these fixed monthly fees just negate any possibility of your payment fitting into your timetable/lifestyle. I can empathise with the OP as it was only a few years ago I had a similarly small pocket money budget with which to use so don't give the lad a hard time over that. That said, 30-60 euro is very good value imo especially if you are getting training in the different aspects of MMA. Good luck.

Time constraints? He doesn't work. And if he's not in school then he's just sitting at home. :p

Mondays - Well I had a hard weekend I'm just gonna rest tonight.
    Tuesday - Champions League is on tonight I'm not missing that.
    Wednesday - Same as Tuesday.
    Thursday - Yeah I'm gonna go training tonight.
    Friday - I'm wrecked from training last night.
    Saturday - Blurr
    Sunday - Never drinking again.

Sound familiar anyone? If you can only train once a week then forget about learning anything significant. MMA is a lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Sound familiar anyone? If you can only train once a week then forget about learning anything significant. MMA is a lifestyle.

I train once or twice a week and I've learned a good bit. It's not a lifestyle if you're not a fighter which is the case for the majority of casual participants like myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 859 ✭✭✭BobbyOLeary

I train once or twice a week and I've learned a good bit. It's not a lifestyle if you're not a fighter which is the case for the majority of casual participants like myself.

True, its not a lifestyle if you're not a fighter, but personally I found it very hard to progress until I got dedicated to 2-3 classes a week with supplemental conditioning work on the side. As soon as I did that it was golden. Certainly for BJJ, and especially in the beginning, you'll have nearly forgotten what you learnt the week before by the time you get to your next class.

I can't speak for everyone of course, I can only give my own opinion. I did not start improving SIGNIFICANTLY until I dedicated my time to training. I had broke up with the girlfriend and finished all exams in my life and had my nights free so it worked for me. And now I can't get out of it!!!

I'd go to an MMA anonymous meeting but I never get the chance cause I'm training all the time. :( Help me.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Wow great find. Nothing escapes you. :rolleyes: It was a comparison to show that 60 euros a month is nothing compared to other gyms.

And my point was that you're not comparing like with like. There's cheaper gyms in New York than Renzo ****in Gracie's!

Advertisement