Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taxi Company 20% Off

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Did you watch This Is England or something last night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

uma wrote: »
    Most will as its easier and it avoids confusion with the passengers,the drivers were told at a meeting in a d.4 hotel that the price was off the metered fare and would be advertised as such.

If you go the port tunnel or m50 dont expect it to be off that!

The social welfare are no offering 1,000 off a new taxi plate,scandalous.

No thats true, but they are offering you 100% off any social welfare entitlements you may have been entitled to after you've been taxiing for a year ( offer excludes anyone entering the trade via the Enterprise Back To Work scheme )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭Terrontress

The social welfare are no offering 1,000 off a new taxi plate,scandalous.

My grandfather worked all his life,except for that stretch inside for rape, yet unemployed people are entitled to a basic standard of dignity.

Where is the justice in that!?!

Tattoo their foreheads I say, put them in the stocks. And ensure those spongers never get work again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭uma

Taxipete29 wrote: »
    Source???

42XXX tAxi i got home from town the other night,geezer from Drimnagh ,asked him how he was surviving told me it wasnt too bad with the back to work scheme and he got a grand discount from the department of social welfare.From the horses mouth so to speak!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

42XXX tAxi i got home from town the other night,geezer from Drimnagh ,asked him how he was surviving told me it wasnt too bad with the back to work scheme and he got a grand discount from the department of social welfare.From the horses mouth so to speak!

I know a few guys on the back to work scheme and had heard about immigrants getting money to buy plates but just wondered how true it was

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 accas

I have seen few girls with yellow jacket and very very shot black skirt, the number has been written at back of the skirt.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rh cars

Big Companies like City Cabs Or ( City Scabs ) or National Radio Cabs (Scabs)
    Have used their position to manipulate an already bad situation.
    Because of recession Management decided they would give a 20% discount to passengers ringing in on a 8202020 number. But low and behold there was no 20% discount on the radio fee, so you work for less and pay the same, id say thats a win win for the City Scabs.
    Then There s The other assholes of the business National Radio Cabs Their head is far up their arse they gave a 20 % discount and introduced a no pickup fee, without even consulting with the drivers but no discount on the fee being paid to them.
    What People have to remember is that NRC own no cabs and have no control over whether a driver should do a job or not as their position is clear. A driver is a sub contractor and rents a radio from them but does not get any guarantee of X amount of work. This Fee is 78 euro per week I think mabey its gone up.
    For a Driver to recoup this outlay the pickup fee is supposed to do this, so the radio company is supposed to give that driver the offer of 39 radio jobs per week @ 2.00 euro a pickup. But in recent times Radio Companies started the policy of just renting radio s and collecting the 78 euro plus 12.5 % on all account work with the result that drivers were getting 2 or 3 jobs per day of the radio rather than the 8 they should be getting.
    So now a driver is paying twice as much to the greedy Radio Companies getting half the work and now has to forfeit the pick up fee altogether because NRC want to match their biggest rival in the market.
    Now we will look at City Cabs, they on the other hand do own some of their own Cars these are the junky yellow and blue Skoda Fabia s and Octavia s that are poorly maintained and rented mostly to foreign nationals who dont know where they are going. I think there are around 50 or so of these and they are rented to drivers for a whopping 350 per week and include radio and insurance.
    City Cabs has other policys in place to rob their drivers also like whopping fines when rent is not paid before 12am on monday or your accounts are late not in before 12am on monday when they themselves are so inefficent its jokeable. These guys make even more of the Drivers than Nrc they have a similar service charge to NRC but then take another percentage of the driver on top of the Radio fee or car Rental.
    So at the End of the day it is not the TAXI COMPANIES offering you cheaper taxi fares but the TAXI COMPANIES robbing the drivers and giving it to the public as they are still getting their full payment for radio s rented.
    SO BEAWARE TAXI RADIO COMPANIES ARE NOT THERE SO THE PUBLIC CAN GET CHEAPER TAXIS BUT TO ROB THE DRIVERS.
    In this current climate as a full time taxi driver I can tell you drivers are earning about 700 euro per week for 60 hours and now you want us to earn less. Its no wonder the old drivers are all giving up as there is no longer a living to be made in this game and if it keeps going the way it is the public will be left with nuthing but part timers and illegal drivers who are not licened to work the areas they are working and therefore are not insured to carry you home.
    But THANKS to the regulator this practice is being allowed as there is no risk for reward for these drivers because there is NO REGULATION OF THE INDUSTRY.

Really, it is of no concern to the taxi travelling public which arrangements are in place between taxis and their radio companies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I disagree and think the structure of the industry really matters. I think good taxi companies could be the key to having a great taxi service.

We don't really have taxi companies at the moment, we just have radio companies.

I disagree and think the structure of the industry really matters. I think good taxi companies could be the key to having a great taxi service.

On the one hand, it is of little relevance to me if the cost which a taxi pays a radio base goes up or down by 20% or 100%. I would think that given the considerable discussion on here, the 20% reduction has got people talking so the amount of work must have increased substantially.

Even if the base fee had gone down by 20%, it would not even come close to addressing the decrease in turnover based on this new offer.
    We don't really have taxi companies at the moment, we just have radio companies.

Well, that's true. If you have ever been to Belfast, the taxis up there are a whole other ball game. I use a company up there called Value Cabs and there are a number of differences. The drivers all wear shirts, ties and sometimes a company branded jumper. The cars are all newish and are great models. 5 series BMW, Merc E Class, Skoda Superbs.

It transpires that they impose the dress code on their drivers and insist on a minimum standard of car. If your car is too old, you can change it or else find somewhere else to work.

There is nothing similar here in terms of car suitability or dress code from the taxi companies. All they seem to do is send you out a taxi and their responsibility stops there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭baloonatic

rh cars wrote: »
    In this current climate as a full time taxi driver I can tell you drivers are earning about 700 euro per week for 60 hours and now you want us to earn less.

To be honest this seems like a very workable amount. Is this before / after expenses?

I personally know people in IT, Sales and manufacturing who have worked more than 60 hrs a week for years for about the same.

baloonatic wrote: »
    To be honest this seems like a very workable amount. Is this before / after expenses?

I personally know people in IT, Sales and manufacturing who have worked more than 60 hrs a week for years for about the same.

As I said before, a taxi driver is working as soon as he drives out his gate. I know many people doing 9-10 hours in the office per day plus an hour in each direction on a train or bus.

700 per week is 35k per year. And how much of that sees the tax man?

Surely they can't be protesting over 35 grand per year!

As I said before, a taxi driver is working as soon as he drives out his gate. I know many people doing 9-10 hours in the office per day plus an hour in each direction on a train or bus.

700 per week is 35k per year. And how much of that sees the tax man?

Surely they can't be protesting over 35 grand per year!

Its not 35K per year. This is before any working expenses are taken out

Take these as average figures most drivers would have as expenses

Car 400pm 4800
    Petrol 100pw 5000
    Insurance 1200
    Tax 75
    NCT 70
    Licence Renewal 125
    Maintenance 1000
    Radio Base Fee 4000

Total 16270

35000-16270= €18730 € 18730 / 50 = € 374.60 per week ( before tax)

Obviously these figures dont hold for every driver but would be a fair reflection of most drivers expenses who are affiliated to radio company and who drive a decent car which they change every 3 years or so.

These figures are obviously work related only just to be clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭amtaxi

Car 400pm 4800
    Petrol 100pw 5000
    Insurance 1200
    Tax 75
    NCT 70
    Licence Renewal 125
    Maintenance 1000
    Radio Base Fee 4000

Total 16270

Obviously these figures dont hold for every driver but would be a fair reflection of most drivers expenses who are affiliated to radio company and who drive a decent car which they change every 3 years or so.

My maintenance expenses are about 2000 - this includes yearly service and timing belt & that's without anything else going wrong, as for car repayments 500pm (18,000 over 3 years) change every 3 years, fully comp insurance 1400pa, don't pay radio base but have phone expenses 250pm(not personal - calling customers and arranging pick up that I can't do myself, diverting calls when off - opearate genuine 24hr service) - not earning anything like 370 per week!!

Car 400pm 4800
    Petrol 100pw 5000
    Insurance 1200
    Tax 75
    NCT 70
    Licence Renewal 125
    Maintenance 1000
    Radio Base Fee 4000

Total 16270

Well I suppose a lot of people earning €35k p.a. would pay those car payments, a lot more on road tax, similar maintenance and not much less in insurance. And theirs isn't tax deductable. You get to drive round in a nice car when you aren't working.

So the only real expense you have there is the radio base fee and extra petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭lost marbles

First off apply for jobs. Take a bit of time filling in the application forms. You'll get into Tesco or McDonalds no bother. You can also apply for jobs which might use your skillset from taxiing such as van driver, clamper, sales rep.

When you get a job, start it but keep taxiing at the busiest times. You can ease from one job into the other. You'll have a decent car whose bills are being met by the taxiing and you can get to your other job in no time going down the bus lanes.

You are not as locked in as you think.

how condescending are you in telling a taxi driver [taking that their age range are usually in the 30s to late 40s bracket ] to apply for a job in mcdonalds or tesco .
    it just goes to show your mindset on the people in the industry .
    "let them eat cake "attitude
    some people need to do a masters in the "university of life ".
    but for to do this degree they need to get one first .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Nothing wrong with working for Tesco or McDonalds. Flexible hours and you could possibly do nights in some Tesco stores if you wanted.

Plently of older people work in these places, it's not just for teenagers and students.

Wait a minute, what's this got to do with taxi driving? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

My company has in the last week renegotiated the terms with the taxi company they are using.
    We provide a steady stream of fares to them all day every day, so there is a nice earner there for them.

Basically what happened was we rang the company we use and told them that we were moving all of our business to one of the companies with the 20% off offer.

They argued for a while and said they couldnt control what the cost the driver charged was. So we said only send a driver who agrees to this when we call you or we're moving cab company.

Well now we have a 20% discount on all the cabs we call from this company. If the service level drops at all we'll just move on and this has been made clear to them.

mikemac wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with working for Tesco or McDonalds. Flexible hours and you could possibly do nights in some Tesco stores if you wanted.

Plently of older people work in these places, it's not just for teenagers and students.

Wait a minute, what's this got to do with taxi driving? :confused:
    there certainly isnt anything wrong with working in any of the above companies .
    but traditionally these jobs are done by students and in the older persons case ,mature women as either a stop gap, or pin money .
    i was pointing out the mindset of the poster who basically said that taxi drivers who cant make a living should go work in the likes of tesco or mcdonalds .
    it was they who mentioned the jobs .

bobbbb wrote: »
    My company has in the last week renegotiated the terms with the taxi company they are using.
    We provide a steady stream of fares to them all day every day, so there is a nice earner there for them.

Basically what happened was we rang the company we use and told them that we were moving all of our business to one of the companies with the 20% off offer.

They argued for a while and said they couldnt control what the cost the driver charged was. So we said only send a driver who agrees to this when we call you or we're moving cab company.

Well now we have a 20% discount on all the cabs we call from this company. If the service level drops at all we'll just move on and this has been made clear to them.
    can i ask is it account work ?[where as you dont pay the driver but its added to the company account ]
    if it is then a little thing the taxi company have is the 10% service charge
    which the company charge .
    whats the bets that this will drop to 5% if you get back on to them and tell them your taking the business away .

• Advertisement

can i ask is it account work ?[where as you dont pay the driver but its added to the company account ]
    if it is then a little thing the taxi company have is the 10% service charge
    which the company charge .
    whats the bets that this will drop to 5% if you get back on to them and tell them your taking the business away .

You're right its account work. The drivers fill in the amount on a pad and the fare signs it at the end of the trip. So its off the meter. Everyone been told to watch what extras are on the meter in case they try to sneak in extras.

The service charge has also been dropped completely on top of the 20%. We got that dropped before christmas.

TBH we are going to call around next week to get a company who will give fixed charges for trips anyway. Now we'll just make sure those fixed charges will be discounted too.

Well I suppose a lot of people earning €35k p.a. would pay those car payments, a lot more on road tax, similar maintenance and not much less in insurance. And theirs isn't tax deductable. You get to drive round in a nice car when you aren't working.

So the only real expense you have there is the radio base fee and extra petrol.

This is rubbish. All those people you speak of have a choice if they have a car or not, our cars are our business so we kinda need them. They do not have to have a car of a certain size, they most certainly would never pay as much in maintenance as they would rarely do as much mileage.

This is rubbish. All those people you speak of have a choice if they have a car or not, our cars are our business so we kinda need them. They do not have to have a car of a certain size, they most certainly would never pay as much in maintenance as they would rarely do as much mileage.

I have to have a car. I dont get to write any maintenance or anything at all off my tax bill either. I cant say that half of my petrol was used cruising for business and get that taken off tax either.

My best friend is a Taxi driver. I know exactly what he gets away with :D.
    And hes not poor either.

You're right its account work. The drivers fill in the amount on a pad and the fare signs it at the end of the trip. So its off the meter. Everyone been told to watch what extras are on the meter in case they try to sneak in extras.

The service charge has also been dropped completely on top of the 20%. We got that dropped before christmas.

TBH we are going to call around next week to get a company who will give fixed charges for trips anyway. Now we'll just make sure those fixed charges will be discounted too.
    best of irish in trying that one on .
    i know that theres a recession out there ,but theres chancing your arm and chancing your arm .
    why not go the whole hog and ask for the taxi to drive in reverse on every job . that way they would have to pay you whats on the meter :rolleyes:

I have to have a car. I dont get to write any maintenance or anything at all off my tax bill either. I cant say that half of my petrol was used cruising for business and get that taken off tax either.

And hes not poor either.

Why do you have to have a car??

And hes not poor either.
    nothing [and i mean nothing ] stopping you joining the unwashed ,uneducated ,horde of unpoor taxi drivers so .
    come on in the waters nice and warm ;)

Why do you have to have a car??

The same reasons most people have to have a car.
    To get to and from work. And general travel.

best of irish in trying that one on .
    i know that theres a recession out there ,but theres chancing your arm and chancing your arm .
    why not go the whole hog and ask for the taxi to drive in reverse on every job . that way they would have to pay you whats on the meter :rolleyes:

Well we've already got most of what we want. Competition is a great thing.
    I think were going to end up getting a fixed charge per distance too by the end of the week. It pays to shop around.

nothing [and i mean nothing ] stopping you joining the unwashed ,uneducated ,horde of unpoor taxi drivers so .
    come on in the waters nice and warm ;)

Well i already have a job, but if i get made redundant i probably will tbh. I know a couple of guys doing this with their voluntary redundancies instead of going back to the 9 to 5 grind. They're not complaining yet anyway. Good on them.

• Advertisement

I think were going to end up getting a fixed charge per distance too by the end of the week. It pays to shop around.

You already have a fixed charge per distance, it's calculated on the meter, that's why taxis have meters, perhaps you should consider relating this story to Hackneys

Well i already have a job, but if i get made redundant i probably will tbh. I know a couple of guys doing this with their voluntary redundancies instead of going back to the 9 to 5 grind. They're not complaining yet anyway. Good on them.
    so be it .
    you seem to know quite alot of taxi drivers .
    why not give them the contract ?
    sure they are happy as you say ,working for buttons why not offer them the buttons .

so let me get this right .
    your company has a service provider in transport who do a set rate on ALL transations .
    wether the sub contractor is applying the LAW of running the meter and pricing the job as it should be .your company will only pay the pre agreed fare. am i right so far ?
    plus for handling the contract the company charge you NO service charge .
    AND YOU EXCEPT PEOPLE TO BELIEVE THIS TRIPE .
    i must take a look into the liffey tonight and see how many are floating up it on doughnuts .
    care to put your money where your mouth is and name this super taxi company .
    im sure with business ettics like that they would love some publicity

why not give them the contract ?

I would if i owned the company.
    And just so you know. It is not illegal to book a taxi on a fixed charge. Are you really a taxi driver?
    Spook_ie wrote: »
    You already have a fixed charge per distance, it's calculated on the meter, that's why taxis have meters, perhaps you should consider relating this story to Hackneys

Not really. You as a taxi driver should know this.
    Drivers can go different ways to the airport for example.

What we have so far from a couple of taxi companies is a map of Dublin with concentric circles on it with a price on it for distance.
    So no matter what route taken the price remains the same from one point to another.

I suppose they'll go with whoever provides the best mix of cheap and quality service. Plenty of interest there though.

Look, at the end of the day i dont really care. The point i was making in the first place was that there is plenty of competition out there and many, many people are ready to compete and provide value for money in what is essentially an over priced service anyway.

my car is a 1.6 litre petrol and at the current price of petrol it does 1 mile for €0.15

If taxis were cheaper per mile, more people would use them and there would be much more fares for everyone. At less than €0.15 per mile for a diesel taxi, there is a lot of room to manouvre there. Keeping the taxi occupied by charging less and you would do yourselves a big favour.

If it cost say €1 a mile people would get them all the time.

And just so you know. It is not illegal to book a taxi on a fixed charge. Are you really a taxi driver?

What we have so far from a couple of taxi companies is a map of Dublin with concentric circles on it with a price on it for distance.
    So no matter what route taken the price remains the same from one point to another.

I suppose they'll go with whoever provides the best mix of cheap and quality service. Plenty of interest there though.

Look, at the end of the day i dont really care. The point i was making in the first place was that there is plenty of competition out there and many, many people are ready to compete and provide value for money in what is essentially an over priced service anyway.

my car is a 1.6 litre petrol and at the current price of petrol it does 1 mile for €0.15

If taxis were cheaper per mile, more people would use them and there would be much more fares for everyone. At less than €0.15 per mile for a diesel taxi, there is a lot of room to manouvre there. Keeping the taxi occupied by charging less and you would do yourselves a big favour.

no im just joining in here with the rest and pretending i know how how the taxi business works .

as i said before .do you wish to name these taxi companies who are giving this great fixed rate service with 20%off all fares .

why dont you put it to your employer that you will take a 50% reduction in wages in order to cut down his costs .thus leading to more work for you to do .and with the result you get loads of overtime .
    competition and all that

Taxi drivers. Always right even when they are wrong. Dont you just love them.

Tell you what. I'll ask if i can name the company/s and if im allowed i'll name them.

One bit of advice though for anyone using a particular taxi company for their business. Shop around. There are much better deals to be had.

• Advertisement

how condescending are you in telling a taxi driver [taking that their age range are usually in the 30s to late 40s bracket ] to apply for a job in mcdonalds or tesco .
    it just goes to show your mindset on the people in the industry .
    "let them eat cake "attitude
    some people need to do a masters in the "university of life ".
    but for to do this degree they need to get one first .

Every taxi driver on here has complained that they can't sign on the dole. Do you think working in those places is beneath you but waiting for a cheque to arrive while watching Neighbours isn't?

By the way, I have worked in McDonalds and stacked shelves in the past. Fair enough it was as a student but I met a lot of full time permanent people there who were salt of the earth and seem like twice the person you'll ever be, based on those comments.

By the way, I have worked in McDonalds and stacked shelves in the past. Fair enough it was as a student but I met a lot of full time permanent people there who were salt of the earth and seem like twice the person you'll ever be, based on those comments.
    there you go again
    more "let them eat cake "

"ive worked with those lower class before when only i had to .
    and god love them they are really nice people .

We're talking about a period of four years! This included full time hours during holidays. You are trying to detract attention from your condescending comments by accusing me of exactly of what you have stated.

Reasons why McDs or Tesco would be good for a taxi driver:

Always looking for people so you can get started soon.
    Flexible working hours so you can keep the taxi on part time.
    Shift work so you can keep on taxiing at the busiest time.
    Easy to leave if the taxi game picks up again.

There is job satisfaction, dignity, training, career opportunities, money and craic aplenty in those jobs and I'd go back to it tomorrow if times were tough.

You can't say the same for unemployment benefit, which you seem to have a chip on your shoulder that you can't get.

Every taxi driver on here has complained that they can't sign on the dole. Do you think working in those places is beneath you but waiting for a cheque to arrive while watching Neighbours isn't?
    ill refere you back to post 170
    i never said anything about wanting to sign on the dole .
    others [taxi drivers ] might have made reference to the fact that they would probably be better off "signing on ".
    signing on would be the very last option in my case .[apoligies to anyone out there that has had the misfortune of being put in the situtation ]
    i had to "sign on "back in the eighties and swore that i would never do it again .if i could help it .

• Advertisement

We're talking about a period of four years! This included full time hours during holidays. You are trying to detract attention from your condescending comments by accusing me of exactly of what you have stated.

There is job satisfaction, dignity, training, career opportunities, money and craic aplenty in those jobs and I'd go back to it tomorrow if times were tough.

You can't say the same for unemployment benefit, which you seem to have a chip on your shoulder that you can't get.
    ok so i give in .
    where do i sign up ?:rolleyes:
    will you ever go and take a jump into the liffey off the back of that high horse of yours .
    and while your in there have a look out for those doughnuts i mentioned earlier .
    do you seriously expect a throng of taxi drivers to start applying for jobs in tesco and mcdonalds .

have you just posted this ???

a piece of the most condesending crap ive seen in a long time and it not only offends the people your trying to offend .but its an afront to those who work in the likes of mc ds and supermarkets everywhere .
    id say sarcism was ment by your post but it only offends .

have you just posted this ???

a piece of the most condesending crap ive seen in a long time and it not only offends the people your trying to offend .but its an afront to those who work in the likes of mc ds and supermarkets everywhere .
    id say sarcism was ment by your post but it only offends .

You started by saying I was condescending to taxi drivers by suggesting they work in McDonalds or Tesco. Now you say I am being condescending to people in McDonalds and Tesco by saying that taxi drivers should work there?

So are the two incompatible? Condescending to both groups to suggest that taxi drivers should work there.

I am not trying to offend anyone.

Actualy, according to the AA the running costs for a mid range diesel are 32.22p ( approx 35c) per mile based on a 30k per year mileage, now I know that the figures they base on are for private motorists and road tax etc. in Ireland are different, but your 15c per mile does quite literaly tell only half the story, at the end of the day taxi drivers still have to pay out for the mundane things in life like food, housing, ESB, pensions, sickpay and Taxes

Just a thought , why are they always looking for people, is their staff attrition rate that bad, if so, maybe Mc D and Tescos aren't as cracked up as you say......

Actualy, according to the AA the running costs for a mid range diesel are 32.22p ( approx 35c) per mile based on a 30k per year mileage, now I know that the figures they base on are for private motorists and road tax etc. in Ireland are different, but your 15c per mile does quite literaly tell only half the story, at the end of the day taxi drivers still have to pay out for the mundane things in life like food, housing, ESB, pensions, sickpay and Taxes

You dont get it.
    The high prices keep people out of taxis.
    You probably spend more than 50% of your day with nobody in the car. 90% if we believe all the poor taxi driver sobbing on here.

If you lowered your pices so as people dont think of the taxi fare as a huge hit for going a mile or 3 then they will be more likely to take a taxi.

So then you'll be busy for 90% of your working day, making money, instead of sitting around crying to anyone who will listen.

I can tell you now. Ive kept a record and it costs me €0.15 in petrol per mile. Tax, insurance, depreciation etc are different things than petrol. You can write off your running costs, repairs, tax, insurance, even the price of the car in the first place, so you're quids in. And even at 35c per mile (that you can write down) you still have a hell of a lot of room to reduce prices there.

Tell us this. Of all the costs Taxipete outlined here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59435968&postcount=164
    How much is he really paying after he writes them off to tax.

A hell of a lot less than the average motorist pays i bet.

And why when taxi drivers mention all their costs do they forget to mention the real costs after writing them down?

Just a thought , why are they always looking for people, is their staff attrition rate that bad, if so, maybe Mc D and Tescos aren't as cracked up as you say......

I just thought that it would be something to do to bring in some extra cash while doing the taxiing thing.

I am not really all that concerned to be honest and I think that anyone who thinks a job there is beneath them should hang his or her head in shame.

The same reasons most people have to have a car.
    To get to and from work. And general travel.

Thats still a choice. There is public transport, such as it is, but its always an option. Your reasons given are not neccesities, they are for convienience.

You dont get it.
    The high prices keep people out of taxis.
    You probably spend more than 50% of your day with nobody in the car. 90% if we believe all the poor taxi driver sobbing on here.

If you lowered your pices so as people dont think of the taxi fare as a huge hit for going a mile or 3 then they will be more likely to take a taxi.

So then you'll be busy for 90% of your working day, making money, instead of sitting around crying to anyone who will listen.

I can tell you now. Ive kept a record and it costs me €0.15 in petrol per mile. Tax, insurance, depreciation etc are different things than petrol. You can write off your running costs, repairs, tax, insurance, even the price of the car in the first place, so you're quids in. And even at 35c per mile (that you can write down) you still have a hell of a lot of room to reduce prices there.

Tell us this. Of all the costs Taxipete outlined here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59435968&postcount=164
    How much is he really paying after he writes them off to tax.

A hell of a lot less than the average motorist pays i bet.

And why when taxi drivers mention all their costs do they forget to mention the real costs after writing them down?

I understand fully where you are coming from, but ( as usual ) someone who doesn't drive a taxi wouldn't understand the full story )

Fares are in stages, you get a lot of people moving from home to pub/club or where ever in the early evening, (All one direction ) you get a lull until they decide to move from pub to home or club ( again All one direction more or less ) you then get another lull followed by people leaving the clubs and going home ( again one direction, more or less ), why do you think you have so many empty cars driving out of or around the city between 7ish and 12ish followed by a reverse of it with empty cars streaming in between 1ish and 4ish. Now I know if I could drop off and pick straight back up on a return journey to somewhere I'm likely to get a fare is the way to go, but, if for example I pick up in the city and go to Donabate I'm unlikely to get one from Donabate going to the city ( at 3.00 I'm not likely to find ANY fare in Donabate! except of the radio ) so the city cars are usualy only running at 50% capacity anyway even in busy times.

Myself I work North County Dublin, and try to avoid the city if I can, so I don't have to drive empty from Donabate to the city, just to Swords, that still leaves me running at only 60-70% capacity even on realy busy nights, when we would get radio calls for cars in Donabate etc.

As for the tax deduction side of it, you still have to pay the money, which means you have to earn the money before you can deduct it against tax,

e.g if my insurance is €2000 I still have to earn the €2000 to pay it and the tax deduction only means I'm not paying income tax on the €2000 of 20% ( €400 ) still leaves me €1600 that has to come out of profits....hope that makes sense, I can't think of an easier way to explain it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Thats still a choice. There is public transport, such as it is, but its always an option. Your reasons given are not neccesities, they are for convienience.

Always an option? In the majority of towns in Ireland , your local PSV driver is the only public transport that exists.

Even though this thread has almost exclusively focused on Dublin, I'm wondering what the situation is in regional towns. You know the towns with 16 PSV's to serve 7,000 people. Are the local drivers complaining about new entrants?

It'd be interesting to know.

• Advertisement
Advertisement