Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taxi Company 20% Off

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

Taxipete29 wrote: »
    Thats still a choice. There is public transport, such as it is, but its always an option. Your reasons given are not neccesities, they are for convienience.

There is public transport if i walk 4 miles to the bus stop alright.
    Do you think everyone lives by a bus stop?

Spook_ie wrote: »
    I understand fully where you are coming from, but ( as usual ) someone who doesn't drive a taxi wouldn't understand the full story )

Fares are in stages, you get a lot of people moving from home to pub/club or where ever in the early evening, (All one direction ) you get a lull until they decide to move from pub to home or club ( again All one direction more or less ) you then get another lull followed by people leaving the clubs and going home ( again one direction, more or less ), why do you think you have so many empty cars driving out of or around the city between 7ish and 12ish followed by a reverse of it with empty cars streaming in between 1ish and 4ish. Now I know if I could drop off and pick straight back up on a return journey to somewhere I'm likely to get a fare is the way to go, but, if for example I pick up in the city and go to Donabate I'm unlikely to get one from Donabate going to the city ( at 3.00 I'm not likely to find ANY fare in Donabate! except of the radio ) so the city cars are usualy only running at 50% capacity anyway even in busy times.

Myself I work North County Dublin, and try to avoid the city if I can, so I don't have to drive empty from Donabate to the city, just to Swords, that still leaves me running at only 60-70% capacity even on realy busy nights, when we would get radio calls for cars in Donabate etc.

As for the tax deduction side of it, you still have to pay the money, which means you have to earn the money before you can deduct it against tax,

e.g if my insurance is €2000 I still have to earn the €2000 to pay it and the tax deduction only means I'm not paying income tax on the €2000 of 20% ( €400 ) still leaves me €1600 that has to come out of profits....hope that makes sense, I can't think of an easier way to explain it.

Well if taxis charged a reasonable rate people would get them at all times, even for short trips. Therefore ensuring you are full all day (though you may have to fight that John Gormley twat on that one). Not just when they didnt have a choice but to get a taxi.

I forgot there are no taxi drivers on the higher tax rate. :cool:. I wonder why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Knocking 20% off the fare means drivers have to do 25% more business to get to where they were before. If they did 50% more work, with the extra petrol, depreciation and maintenance that that would attract, there would only be an increase in takings (not profit) of 20% from the point before the discount. I think that discounting will make the drivers busier but will they earn much more? I am not sure. And increasing bums on seats by 50% is quite an ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

bobbbb wrote: »
    There is public transport if i walk 4 miles to the bus stop alright.
    Do you think everyone lives by a bus stop?

Its all about choice. You choose to live that far from a bus stop.

mikemac wrote: »
    Always an option? In the majority of towns in Ireland , your local PSV driver is the only public transport that exists.

Even though this thread has almost exclusively focused on Dublin, I'm wondering what the situation is in regional towns. You know the towns with 16 PSV's to serve 7,000 people. Are the local drivers complaining about new entrants?

It'd be interesting to know.

Considering there has been protests in alot of smaller towns and alot of country drivers have made the trip to Dublin, I would say alot feel the same.

Well if taxis charged a reasonable rate people would get them at all times, even for short trips. Therefore ensuring you are full all day (though you may have to fight that John Gormley twat on that one). Not just when they didnt have a choice but to get a taxi.

I forgot there are no taxi drivers on the higher tax rate. :cool:. I wonder why.

Just because your friend is a Taxi driver, dont think for a minute you actually know what your on about because its very clear you dont.

The first thing is it is virtually impossible to be full all day. When I started in this business five years ago when numbers were alot lower, it was only on very rare occasions such as big events in the city or a day like today that you would come anywhere close to what you might call full all day, which is to say you might only have a 10 min gap between jobs. Taxis were alot cheaper, we were in the height of a boom and had about 6000 less cabs in Dublin.

It is understood in this business that there will always be a certain amount of down time. Nobody expects to be on the move, with a job or going on a job for the full duration of your shift. Its just not going to happen.

My second point is that drivers actual earnings which is turnover - expenses
    will very rarely equate to that driver being placed in the higher tax bracket.
    You seem to forget that in order for drivers to get a loan/mortgage they must produce a cert of earnings from an accountant. There are very few accountants who will certify you for higher earnings than you are declaring for tax purposes and those that will commit this offence are quite well known by most institutions and their certifications carry little weight.

Just because your friend might tell you he is earning a fortune and getting one over on the tax man doesnt mean A, thats is actually true or B, that all drivers are the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

If taxis charged half the price people would still not be travelling to the pub more than once, they would take a journey to the pub, drink and then go home, not as you seem to envisage of people going to the pub, going home to put the video on and then back to the pub and then back home to check the video and then back to the pub. Even if it were a daytime case you wouldn't go to the shops, do half your shopping, take it home and then go back to the shops again...

Probably because the 20% rate applies to the 1st €36000 for single taximen and €72000 for married taximen with a wife at home, funnily enough thats the same bands that you get.... also when you talk about the 36000 or 72000 thats the money left after your business expenses are taken out and seeing as Goodbodies seem to think we are on €58000 p.a you would only need €423 a week in running costs to put even single taximen into the 20% bracket.....stop clutching at straws and listening to half truths and try checking some facts instead!

Even I would say that's very harsh of you Pete, people don't always have a full choice of where they would like to llive, sometimes it comes down to circumstance and pricing....

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Even I would say that's very harsh of you Pete, people don't always have a full choice of where they would like to llive, sometimes it comes down to circumstance and pricing....

I accept that people who live in the country dont always have a choice when it comes to owning a car, but alot of people moved out of Dublin e.g and went down the country because they wanted to own a house. That is not circumstance, thats a choice.

• Advertisement

Did you not choose your job?
    Terrible choice for you mate. Im sure youd be much happier doing something that you didnt have to defend badly all the time.

I know the story with the tax rates when you are self employed. I used to be self employed too. I know only too well, that you can massage the numbers very easily to bring yourself down into the 20% bracket even when you are earning well enough to take you into the 41% bracket. That one of the reasons you hire an accountant - to streamline your tax situation.

Terrible choice for you mate. Im sure youd be much happier doing something that you didnt have to defend badly all the time.

I know the story with the tax rates when you are self employed. I used to be self employed too. I know only too well, that you can massage the numbers very easily to bring yourself down into the 20% bracket even when you are earning well enough to take you into the 41% bracket. That one of the reasons you hire an accountant - to streamline your tax situation.

Hire an accountant on my wages, you jest yet again. I just fill in the boxes on ROS as I don't need to massage figures to be in the 20% bracket, the only complicated thing about taxis is the 40% residual write off on vehicle depreciation...

My original point was I must have a car for my business, not everyone absolutly needs a car to go about their business and I made this in response to the comment Terrontress made.

How do I defend it badly?? Please elaborate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jcone1147

hi, ive been a driver with city cabs for 7 yrs, when we (the drivers) met in a ballsbridge hotel during the yr and were told of the initial promotion of 20% to be offered to the customers who booked online or over the phone i and other drivers had our concern, but since the initial launch i have seen my income steadly rise, "you lead and not be led" we were told and it could not be a more real, think about it since city cabs launched the promo this year most if not all of the reputable companys are now jumping on board with 20% off all bookings, BUT I THINK ITS TOO LATE, IM HAPPY, GO ON STRIKE ALL YOU WANT!, "if your looking for a cab its your phone you gotta grab, call "8202020" keep sitting on the ranks lads!!!!!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Yep, they're the only Taxi company I'd use now. Really professional and reliable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement