Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To leaner and beyond!

Options
  • 11-02-2009 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Right, this is week two of my new gym program. I'm just getting into it now so I've decided to track what I'm doing in earnest.

I've been doing Shapes for the last six months, and while I do enjoy it, and I'm not gasping for air like I was when I started, I wasn't seeing enough of a change in myself. So that prompted the addition of a weights program!

I'm 5'4", weigh 55Kg and most people would describe me as slight. I can still fit into size 8 jeans, have bingo wings and a pot belly by 8pm. :o

I do the weights program 4 nights a week and continue to do the Shapes 4/5 nights a week.

My diet now consists of porridge, wholemeal bread, low fat yoghurt, brown rice, chicken, fish, all types of fruit, all types of veg, pulses and nuts. My only vice is tea/coffee, though I have cut back.

This is my program:

Chest Press 15Kg: 3 x 12
    Lats 15Kg: 3 x 12
    Shoulder press 3 x 12
    Bicep curl 10Kg: 3 x 12
    Chin/Dip
    Weighted crunches
    Calf raises 15Kg: 3 x 12
    Leg Press 15Kg: 3 x 12
    Squats
    Back extensions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

02/02: 4 nights weights, 5 nights cardio
    09/02: 4 nights weights, 4 nights cardio

I took the advice of Transform, where he mentioned in a post that you should do the part you want to concentrate on most, first.

So I've swapped things around and I try to do the weights first, then the cardio.

3.5 weeks in and I had my weight and BF measured.
    I've gained one pound and lost 8% BF - down to 21%. WooHoo! I think! :o

I had my assessment after 5 weeks. My weight is up by one pound and body fat is 24%. Not sure what happened with the weight and BF % on the 25th! I couldn't have gained 3% BF in 10 days!!
    Anyway, most of my measurements are going in the right direction. Upper arms & thighs are all up. Waist is down. Calves remain unchanged.

I've a new program now, though I haven't started it yet. I've injured my shoulder so I'm waiting to see how that heals. I'm not sure how long it will take.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

What way are you getting your bodyfat measured?? Most (all?!?) methods are notorious for being inaccurate.

One of those electronic gadgets where it passes a small current through your body. The measurement on the 25th was straight after a work out, the one over the weekend was before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

My understanding is that it's calipers or nowt. Seen a few of the heads on the forum say that.

I've been away for a week, been sick for another week and have injured both my shoulders, one after the other. Could barely raise my arms.... so I've been out of action for a while. Plan on getting back to normal this week, but taking it easy for a while.

Been doing this for the past 4 weeks:

3 x 10 - 5Kg (Dumbells) Deltoids
    3 x 10 - 2.5Kg (Dumbells) Lateral Raise
    3 x 10 - 2.5Kg (Dumbells) Frontals
    3 x 10 - 4Kg (Dumbells) Biceps
    3 x 10 - 4Kg (Dumbells) Triceps
    3 x 10 - z-bar
    3 x 10 - 10Kg, 15Kg, 20Kg Chest Press
    3 x 10 - 10Kg, 15Kg, 20Kg Calf raises
    3 x 10 - 5Kg, 10Kg, 15Kg Leg Curls
    3 x 10 - 10Kg, 15Kg, 20Kg Leg Extensions
    3 x 10 - 5Kg, 10Kg, 15Kg Leg Press
    Leg Raises to Fail
    Approx 30mins Cardio - every session

I've decided to start using Whey Protein shakes. My appetite hasn't increased any, just feel more hungry in the mornings. I can't seem to take in the quantities of food that are required to become leaner/toned and build a small amount of muscle.
    Even though I warm up well, and always stretch, I find myself getting minor injuries quite often. The Whey Protein should help with recovery. Also need to increase my daily water intake. :(

I'm changing my program again, going to focus on two muscle groups each session. I'll increase my reps from 3x10 to 3x12/15.
    I find I'm not fatigued after 3x10 now, even though I don't find it getting easier either (bit of a contradiction :confused:).
    I saw a programme on TV3 last night, and I thought the Figure girls looked great. Though, I think I'm passed my prime to look like that! :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

MargeS wrote: »
    I'm changing my program again, going to focus on two muscle groups each session. I'll increase my reps from 3x10 to 3x12/15.
    I find I'm not fatigued after 3x10 now, even though I don't find it getting easier either (bit of a contradiction :confused:).
    I saw a programme on TV3 last night, and I thought the Figure girls looked great. Though, I think I'm passed my prime to look like that! :(

Your age is all in your mind;)

10 mins warmup on rower

Lat Pulldowns(V-Bar):
    30Kg x7, 25Kg x10, 20kg x 12

Bent over row:
    10Kg x7, 8kg x10, 6Kg x12

Triceps extension:
    8Kg x7, 6kg x10, 4Kg x12

Triceps kickback:
    6Kg x7, 4kg x10, ?Kg x12

Roman chair: 3 x15