Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

where to work?

• 11-02-2009 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Need some advise here on where to get work. Providing everything goes to plan and i get through college i will have studied sound engineering & music tech and i will need to find some work. (i really do plan everything out :P )

My plan was and i still intent to follow it, is to find a day job somewhere as a sound engineer and for now anyway i dont really care where i have allot of motivation and am willing to go where ever, until i find out what i really want to do :P

To give you an idea of the kinda guy i am, im nuts about Trance, electronica music and that kind of scene in general, and have my own decks mix away and produce my own stuff, its more of a hobby...for now anyway, maybe a night job :D

So any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I'm not really sure on what your asking here... So you are studing music technology, and plan to get a day job in that field, but you want to know what your real passion should be? Only you can make that decision mate. Figure out whatever it is that you love doing most - and aim for something in that field. Very onvious advice but its true. Most people spend their loves doing jobs they have no real interet in outside work.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Starfox

Zascar wrote: »
    I'm not really sure on what your asking here... So you are studing music technology, and plan to get a day job in that field, but you want to know what your real passion should be? Only you can make that decision mate. Figure out whatever it is that you love doing most - and aim for something in that field. Very onvious advice but its true. Most people spend their loves doing jobs they have no real interet in outside work.

Hey Zascar, sorry i should have explained better, basically, ill need work, and im willing to do whatever to get a decent job, so where could i look? for a newly qualified sound engineer? :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Have you asked over in the Production forum? My guess is that the peeps over there know far more about the industry than most of us would.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Starfox

Zascar wrote: »
    Have you asked over in the Production forum? My guess is that the peeps over there know far more about the industry than most of us would.

I have indeed m8 im just widening my horizons :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Just to let you know that finding work as a sound engineer is extremely extremely difficult. I remember years ago looking into doing a Sound Engineering course and one of the first things the guy running the course said to me was that getting a job is almost nigh on impossible and that you really really need to put yourself about.

I have a friend that has recently started a Sound Engineering course and he was given the same spiel.

I think the problem with that particular line of work is that in a notoriously fickle industry it sounds like it's a solid job and one that you can actually train for in college. As a result you get lots of people that want to get into the music industry but don't where to start doing the course and thus creating a glut of graduates with no actual experience and little chance of getting any.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭RaverRo808

In the current climate,you'd be lucky to get a job were you'd be mostly saying 'do you want fries with that'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

I cant even get a "junior office job" job in Dublin never mind a senior position seen as ive 11 years experience in my field, moving to Manchester or Leeds is the way to go, not loads of jobs on offer but a lot more than Ireland, Dublin is possibly the worst city in the world for the recession,urgghhhh.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Progger

Move to London. Opportunities in the field your looking at are few and far between. I'd say 60 percent of these jobs lie in London.

Advertisement