Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Hooker

• 11-02-2009 6:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

Wondering what people think of this beer. I sat beside a drinking companion who was inhaling this one day and so the next I procured myself one. I really didn't like it. I was the worse for the day before, but still I managed a couple of stouts. Is it an acquired taste?

I know others who also like it. It reminded me for some reason of Buckler, the non-alc beer from back then. It is very distinctive. Do you like it?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

delicious beer, full of flavour. up there with wrasslers xxxx as best irish beer (check the beer league post).
    what do you normally drink? never tasted buckler but would doubt the comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

I normally drink good beer if I can help it. Anything North American, WildCat - big tins. Big hangover. Not saying this isn't good, just it isn't me and usually if it's good it suits me grand. It is very distinctive and there's a definite flavour thing going on but it's just not an appealing one to me. I can pretty much drink anything, leaving out Buckie, but not this. I must be mad. I've tried it once since and no joy. Is Wrasslers different?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

It is very distinctive. Do you like it?

That will be the liberal use of hops to bitter and the later addition of of America C hop that can have a citrus sometimes pine aroma. Which is pretty new experance for the Irish palate to have

I normally drink good beer if I can help it. Anything North American, WildCat

That a lager, A lot of American ales use America hops for bittering ar aroma/flavor addition that can have a citrus aroma. These are generally much more bitter that a standard America pilsiner such as labattes WildCat. Around twice I would reckon, but its not unbalance with the bitters its just most people are used to super under bitter beers

Is Wrasslers different?

Yep its a stout and very good too

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I love Galway Hooker, but if you're not used to hoppy beers it can be a bit of a surprise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Definitely one of the, if not _the_ best beer in ireland at the moment. Absolutely delicious. Hops FTW.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I've been turned on it. I tried it a good while back and had no real desire to give it another lash, but yea it's a very tasty beer and anywhere it's on the card I'm happy to drink.

For those who are in need of a good hooker or just would like share a couple of hookers with your wife here are the location that sell it around Ireland:p

http://www.galwayhooker.ie/flash/site/locations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Quality beer - however had a pint of it in the Porterhouse(the one that was Judge Roy Beans) a few weeks back and it was terrible!!!

Brgds
    Johnny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I don't like it.

I don't like the overly hoppy flavour.

• Advertisement

Des wrote: »
    I don't like it.

I don't like the overly hoppy flavour.

Each to their own, but I would not described its as overly hoppy it is balanced with the malt in the beer.

A Randell like this will help make a really hoppy centric beer:cool:

Randall_cu.jpg

oblivious wrote: »
    Each to their own, but I would not described its as overly hoppy it is balanced with the malt in the beer.

I did a brewery tour in NZ and they gave us some of them hop pellets to taste.

I was gagging for the remainder of the tour, and ever since I have been sensitive to the presence of the hop flavour.

Even Carlsberg induces the gag reflex in me.

I was gagging for the remainder of the tour, and ever since I have been sensitive to the presence of the hop flavour.

Dear lord don't eat hops, I think some one on that tour was taking the piss a bit, smelling is great but eating the is just not good.

Dear lord don't eat hops,

:D I know that, now.

I think some one on that tour was taking the piss a bit, smelling is great but eating the is just not good.

I'm an absolute sucker for tasting things though, sometimes to my detriment.

you've dodged a bullet so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

Big fan of Galway Hooker myself, love the big bursting favour you get afterwards. The only criticism of the thing; and it may be a personal preference is that I find it served too cold in a few places, especially Porterhouse Central. They also tend to have the bottled ales at too cold a temperature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Was that the scottish lad in Speights in dunedin? That was one of the best tours I've been on I think.
    Well that's DEFINITELY not from hops!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,079 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

mmmmm, think I'll pop down to The Bierhaus for one before me dinner!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Love a good pint of hooker. Hoppy goodness. :)
    Wish I had easier access to it though!!
    Closest place to me that serves it is in Carrick on shannon, and thats about 30 miles away!! Worth it though!!
    The midlands is fairly dire for good beer!!:mad:

mmmmm, think I'll pop down to The Bierhaus for one before me dinner!:p

fecker, here's me sipping a Diet Coke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,079 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

mayordenis wrote: »
    fecker, here's me sipping a Diet Coke.

twas so nice I had a sneaky Friday 5 O clock one today!!

the envy is pouring out of my face.

Fec**r ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

had a pint once. struggled to finish it. no desire to try it again.

ferdi wrote: »
    had a pint once. struggled to finish it. no desire to try it again.

You should try this new one, A Leitrim Hooker! :D

leitrimhooker.jpg

Advertisement