Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patriotic Paddys parade

Options
  • 11-02-2009 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭

The St Patricks festival was launched yesterday with the help of a traditional African band. On the day itself, expect to see Chinese dragons and Brazilian samba groups. Whats Irish about that? Is this not supposed to be a celebration of Ireland and Irish culture? The St Patricks day parade could be in any city in the world. I think the organisers need to bring back some Irish identity to the parade

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Yeah, we need more parades like back in the day...

st-patricks-day-parade.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I guess the city is evolving culturally and all aspects of the city are to be included. There are lots of Africans in the city.

I am sure you would be considered if you had applied to join in. Are you a part of a group or society that would have liked to be involved?

(cool photo grizzly)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Is this not supposed to be a celebration of Ireland and Irish culture?

I don't think so no. Is it? Maybe I'm in the wrong. But I'd answer your questions with a no. Thank god. Grizzly's photo would be positively vibrant in comparison if it was.
    I thougt it was a celebration and no one knows better than the chinese, African and S. Americans. More the merrier.

Jayzuz no let them run it. We'd just flood it with poxy ads on wobbly flat bed lorries full of cronies kids. Let the foriegners show us the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I'm all for different cultures in Ireland, but for the love of god, paddies day is about Ireland, green, guinness and leprechauns!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

The St Patricks day parade could be in any city in the world. I think the organisers need to bring back some Irish identity to the parade

Like Ermm, New York?.

A city which is a melting pot of every race, colour and creed from the four corners of the world, yet with the biggest Paddy's day parade in the world!.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭anladmór

i'm sure there will be a prevailent traditional irish theme but the mix adds to the colour. the new york patricks day is a bore fest...endless bagpipes yawnnn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

well there still trying to make it carnival rather then a parade,theres your problem.

this is for patriots its for foreigners who pay in dollars, its national guinness day

Wasn't Paddy Welch?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Mingey

The parades I remember from the eighties all had American marching bands in them. At least Chinese dragons look cool ;)

I do hate this 'celebrate multicultural' paff they have every year though. Ireland has lots of immigrants..we know! Most of us don't mind and we celebrate everyday by eating their food and buying from Lidl.

Mairt wrote: »
    Wasn't Paddy Welch?.

Wasn't that Raquels' Dad? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

expect a fordiner quota for prety much every event nowadays, after all we're now a shiney happy multicultural, multivitamin society. We're H A P P Y we're H A P P Y...:pac:

the parade is a load of me arse anyway, always was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Who cares about the parade? Paddys day is about getting locked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭anladmór

Mingey wrote: »
    The parades I remember from the eighties all had American marching bands in them. At least Chinese dragons look cool ;)

I do hate this 'celebrate multicultural' paff they have every year though. Ireland has lots of immigrants..we know! Most of us don't mind and we celebrate everyday by eating their food and buying from Lidl.

and tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

St Patrick, a Welshman, is also the patron saint of various dioceses and archdioceses, including....

Adelaide (Australia), Auckland (New Zealand), Boston (USA), Cape Town (South Africa), Mymensingh (Bangladesh), Poona (India).

He is also the patron saint of Nigeria.

Your daily piece of useless info brought to you from here. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i think its very important that all cultures get involved with the st. patricks day celebrations. their involvement adds colour and diversity and helps different races integrate to irish society and stops segregation.

i think its very important that all cultures get involved with the st. patricks day celebrations. their involvement adds colour and diversity and helps different races integrate to irish society and stops segregation.

I agree the parade would be a bit lacklustre without elements from other cultures, I don't have a problem with multi-culturalism myself but I it takes more than participating in a parade to integrate into a society.

Rashers wrote: »
    He is also the patron saint of Nigeria.

And there I was blaiming Mary Robinson and her stupid lamp in the window!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Mingey wrote: »
    it takes more than participating in a parade to integrate into a society.

its a start though

Advertisement