Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sigma/Minolta/Sony

• 11-02-2009 7:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, sorry, here's a question thats been asked millions times before, I know... did a search in the forum but couldn't really find the answer I was looking for!

So: Sony SRL , I know Minolta lenses fit. But, do you need one of those converting thingies?

And how about Sigma lenses? (Coz I see them on Ebay and it says 'fits Sony A100, 200..." but the lens fitting looks very different I think, so maybe need a converter thingie for Sigma?)

Sorry for the repeat... :o

Thx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,165 ✭✭✭nilhg

Sony bought out Minolta's camera division, so all lenses are compatible, most of Sigma's lenses are sold with Sony/Minolta fit, if it looks wrong in the picture then sombody has been too lazy to put the proper one on the ad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

What nilhg said, I'd say any AF Minolta lens will fit your Alpha camera, the older manual focus Rokkor's I'm not so sure about.

As for the second hand Sigma's, if you're not sure then keep looking as returns on ebay can be difficult

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Noh... Just got myself a Rokkors Minolta Macro lens... :( Will see when the thing arrives if it fits... "Worried now"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Firstly any minolta lens with 'af' or 'maxxum' in its name will work with current sony dslrs.

Secondly be careful with older sigma lenes. Some need to be re-chipped to work with newer cameras. Sigma used to do this free of charge but not too sure nowadays.

Regarding the rokkors. These are a completly different mount! So consequently a adapter is required.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

sNarah wrote: »
    Noh... Just got myself a Rokkors Minolta Macro lens... :( Will see when the thing arrives if it fits... "Worried now"!

AFAIK rokker won't fit without an adapter. Any lens that says Dyxum or Maxxum will fit though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46 Heinlein

I wouldn't recommend Sigma lenses. They are cheaper and of poorer quality as well, both in terms of optics and mechanics. I'd rather buy a 5 year old used Minolta lens than a new Sigma. Had one before, it broke down after 6 months or so. Pictures were flat and dull compared to Minolta's softness, richness and depth. I'd say only heavy post-processing can hide the fact that it was Sigma.

But don't worry if you bought it already, it is still OK for the money, and not every lens breaks down early ;)

Advertisement