Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soak pit for septic tank

• 11-02-2009 7:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

We have an old septic tank for this house and, up until recently, it hasn't given any problems. We had it emptied 4 years ago just after we bought the house and again in the middle of January this year. And again, today. :( €250 a month for toilets that flush isn't feasible so this needs to be sorted.

I had a good look at the system today while it was being emptied and it appears that our problem is a pipe that is draining excess water from the field behind into the septic tank (they were once all part of the same property) and the soak pit can't cope. I'd imagine the weather in general over the last year hasn't helped either. The pipes days are numbered but I'm told that upgrading the pit is a good idea too.

I've investigated hiring a mini digger (90 +vat for a day) and there are enough quarries around here that stones to fill it won't be a problem. I understand that I want to dig to just below the level of the pipe out from the septic tank and I'm wondering what sort of pit is best.

Do I want something deep? Wide? Long and Narrow? Do I need to extend the pipe? Is there anything I need to be aware of while doing this? So far I have 3 volunteers for the digger so it looks like I'll be directing it. The septic tank is at the side of the property in the field, away from our house and the neighbours and we're surrounded by fields on that side. My current plan is to dig something long and narrow down from the tank parallel to the house with short branches forking off as not bringing it any closer to the house seems like the logical thing.

I hope this is the right section, there seems to be more questions on percolation and soak pits here than in DIY. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Not a DIY job . You need expert advice . Get it wrong and you may contaminate ground water

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

sinnerboy wrote: »
    Not a DIY job . You need expert advice . Get it wrong and you may contaminate ground water

Who does one get expert advice from for this then? I asked the guys who emptied it (they're a drain and sewer cleaning company, I didn't call an old farmer or anything like that) and they suggested the mini digger and upgrade/redo existing pit idea thus me looking into it..

Does this mean that I could be contaminating ground water with the existing soak hole as I plan to just redig in the area that is currently used for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 scaletec

the fact that there is water entering your tank from someone elses property does not sound right. i would look into re-directing the incoming pipe when you are going to hire a digger. on the digger-you haven't said what size machine you priced for but if it's only for a soak hole in normal digging conditions you should get by with a3 or at most 5 tonne . shop around because 90 + vat sounds a tad expensive. also, have a look around before you sink a bucket i.e think before you dig. last thing you want to do is pull pipes or god forbid e.s.b cable.

best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

You need to get a site suitability assesor to advise.

Two things can go wrong otherwise;
    1. Waste water from septic tank percolates into ground water thereby polluting local water suppl and maybe your own well if you have one.
    2. Waste water doesn't percolate into soil but ponds on surface. Serious health hazard for yourself and family.
    Both of the above could lead to neighbours taking action and the Council forcing you to do job properly.

By "site suitability assessor" do you mean an architect? I contacted the company who did the original survey when we bought the place (the solicitor asked for locations of the well, septic tank etc) today and they sent me back to the first crowd who emptied the tank and jetted the lines who first suggested that I'd best doing it myself . :confused:

I don't want to cause a problem trying to fix this problem but at the same time I don't fancy spending the next month calling in circles while the tank fills up again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

hadook wrote: »

I had a good look at the system today while it was being emptied and it appears that our problem is a pipe that is draining excess water from the field behind into the septic tank (they were once all part of the same property) and the soak pit can't cope. I'd imagine the weather in general over the last year hasn't helped either. The pipes days are numbered but I'm told that upgrading the pit is a good idea too.

Why dont you just dig up the pipe draining in from the field and see it that solves you problem. It shouldn't be there in the first place and now as the property was sold on to you without the field it definately shouldn't be draining into your septic tank.

Modern septic tanks and percolation areas have to be designed and installed in accordance with either SR6 1991 (in a few counties) or the EPA standard. IF you are making a new percolation area you may need planning (check with your local planning office) and therefore a site suitability assessment. If you replace your septic tank you definately need planning

250 to get your tank emptied if fairly steep, I got mine done by a local for 100

Planning office said they'd call back but haven't yet, architect failed to turn up (twice) and the horrid thing is full again. :(

Does anyone know where I can find a "site suitability assessor" in the Meath area who will answer their phone and come out to check if I need anything before digging a new percolation area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

I'm a bit away from Meath but it sounds like a new percolation area is called for. Bear in mind any planning permission allows for a reserve (new)percolation area if necessary, not very expensive. Any percolation area, new or reserve should last for about 10 to 13 years without being changed. If you are running a ST that may need emptying/desludging 2 to 4 years within first use, this is because of the cement/chemical content in the tank at the start killing the breakdown bacteria, which should stop after that period and allow the tank to function normally.

I'm a bit away from Meath but it sounds like a new percolation area is called for. Bear in mind any planning permission allows for a reserve (new)percolation area if necessary, not very expensive. Any percolation area, new or reserve should last for about 10 to 13 years without being changed. If you are running a ST that may need emptying/desludging 2 to 4 years within first use, this is because of the cement/chemical content in the tank at the start killing the breakdown bacteria, which should stop after that period and allow the tank to function normally.

That might be our problem then, the neighbours parents used to own this house and they reckon it's been about 15-20 years since anything was last done with it other than emptying every few years.

I'm a little confused, do I need to get new planning permission to do anything to the percolation area so? From what I hear, planning permission takes time so am I stuck with paying a few hundred quid every couple of weeks until it goes through? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Once you are not changing/upgrading the septic tank and only providing a new replacement/reserve percolation area you don't need planning permission.

However, you do need to put in the correct length of percolation trenching, which will depend on the results of a percolation test, therefore, site suitability assesor to carry out the test.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Mrs Smith

I'm sorry you've been having such trouble with your septic tank. If you want to PM me, I can email you my Architect's details, he is in Meath and has never let me down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 engineer24/7

Hi,
    You are better off getting a site suitability assessor than an architect, <SNIP> or just go on on to wexford.ie for a list of qualified site assessors

Mod edit: Read the charter please

Advertisement