Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Pub Grub in Galway?

Options
  • 11-02-2009 8:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭

Hi, I'm new to Galway and don't know the pubs that well.

On Saturday my friend and I fancy going into a pub 5.30/6ish and having some pub grub for dinner instead of going out to a restaurant to eat (it's Valentine's so we won't get anywhere anyway).

Where's the most decent pub grub in Galway?

I know we're probably talking chicken goujons wherever I go, but at least don't cremate them, add a slice of tomato and a sprig of parsley and charge me €15 for it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

It wont really matter where you go, its mostly over priced and the same menu everywhere (well everywhere in the city centre).
    If it is the city centre your going then id recommend The cellar bar, or buskar brownes. The front door isnt bad either but their menu isnt great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

If you're willing to go a little bit out of Galway, to Barna, try Donnellys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Finnegans.
    More of a restaurant than a pub, but has a full bar, cheap tasty food and lovely staff that are not snooty in any way! Love the place and try to get in there as often as I'm up in Galway.

Stay away from the front door for food, had some there recently, overpriced cack.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Buskers and the Living Room serve expensive slop. The Front Door isn't far behind. Although owned by the same persons as the Front Door, I have found the food and service in the Dáil consistently very good. If you fancy fish and chips Kettle of Fish is hard beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Standard, options and price are pretty much the same in most pubs in town. I agree that Finnegans is decent. I used to enjoy the food in Garveys (oppisite bus station), has been a year or two since ive been there so not sure what its like now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Try Sherridans on the Docks. Great selection of grub and it's mainly shareable stuff like cheese and meat plates and things like that. Bar 8 up the road have started this deal that you get a meal and glass of wine for under a tenner. I haven't tried that yet but their food is generally ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Sheridan's food is nice but a complete rip-off. I regularly go to two places in Dublin where you get the same type of platters but literally twice the quantity for the same price. Unfortunately in Galway, they have a bit of a monopoly on the type of food they serve and the atmosphere of their place so they seem to get away with it.

Isn't Bar 8 owned by the Sheridan's people as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭GunScope

For a pub dinner type set out, MacSwiggans down town in Woodquay are not bad and are no more expensive than the other bars about town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

What about the dail bar? only been in a couple of times and the food looks ok, though appreciate it probably is similar to the front door

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Lohans in Salthill or the Huntsman if you want to go a few mins out of town, both good for food

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Zzippy wrote: »
    Lohans in Salthill or the Huntsman if you want to go a few mins out of town, both good for food

Only time I ever went to Lohans the waitress was pig ignorant (guess she was having a bad day) and the portions were tiny

I made a comment to the waitress about the small portion (rather than just coming onto an internet forum giving out about it :pac:) and I was basicly snarled at (back to my first point) - Haven't been back since

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Out Of Order

Don't know many places in Galway but I got soup, a sandwich, and a plate of chips in An Puckán just off Eyre Square last weekend for a fiver!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Both An Pucan and Garveys very good for food(however 12 Euro for Beef a bit expensive in Pucan?) - also had an excellent lunch in the Imperial a few weeks back!

Brgds
    Johnny

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Dunnes stores, pack of frozen mixed veg, two pies and a slab of whatever you fancy. Same thing in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I'd also recommend Kettle of Fish. Its not exactly pub grub but the grub is good, the service is good and the premises are a couple of notches above your standard chipshop (i.e. you get real plates and it looks very clean).

Decided to give The Dáil a try today

Food isin't the cheapest but I was very happy with the portion size and service. VERY friendly staff, almost unique for a pub grub enviornment - Will go back

Pint bottle of Bulmers - 5.20 (or very close to that) (Everywhere seems to be over a fiver a pint bottle now)

Sambuca :D - 5.20 also - Again, hate when a shot breaks the 5euro barrier but didn't stop me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Bulmers and Sambuca with your lunch John?

Nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

MASSIMO's!!

Can't believe it hasn't been mentioned yet. Their food is good but they're also linked up to the pizza place next door... you go through the door at the bar to order and they bring the pizza out to you. The pizzas are excellent!

Also the stew in sheridans is very good too!

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Bulmers and Sambuca with your lunch John?

Nice!

I'm a 'student' - what else can I say? :D

If it makes things any better after the lunch I devided to break my Naughtans (sp?) virginity - I had my first ever pint there!! Bought a cheeky one and sat outside in the rain with my racing co-pilot (who else would do it??) - In the small amount of time that I sat down I observed some mad charactors, and we had no less than 3 people approach us for a chat - I now appreciate why people sit there. I was going to start a new thread about it but meh :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

JohnCleary wrote: »
    I'm a 'student' - what else can I say? :D

If it makes things any better after the lunch I devided to break my Naughtans (sp?) virginity - I had my first ever pint there!! Bought a cheeky one and sat outside in the rain with my racing co-pilot (who else would do it??) - In the small amount of time that I sat down I observed some mad charactors, and we had no less than 3 people approach us for a chat - I now appreciate why people sit there. I was going to start a new thread about it but meh :p
    you should john...:)
    theres manys the stories people would have....
    you meet the strangest and maddest and indifferent on the
    streets in town.

• Advertisement

minxie wrote: »
    you should john...:)
    theres manys the stories people would have....
    you meet the strangest and maddest and indifferent on the
    streets in town.

The first proper encounter I ever had with 'Anti Santa' was while passing Naughtans (sp?) - I even uploaded a pic. Except that I day I had my own drink (bottle of B)

Better not get too fond of it - could end up with a big filthy beard, smelly jacket and hanging out in Quay St :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭toxick

gary82 wrote: »
    MASSIMO's!!

Can't believe it hasn't been mentioned yet. Their food is good but they're also linked up to the pizza place next door... you go through the door at the bar to order and they bring the pizza out to you. The pizzas are excellent!

Also the stew in sheridans is very good too!

Dont you mean monroes(sp?)?

Massimos do have good food, but isnt connected to any pizza place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

Oh i DO mean MONROE's!!

Oops, always mixing those two up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Even though Massimos do have savage pizzas too...

Advertisement