Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accommodation and Design for Stage/Make-Up course?

Options
  • 11-02-2009 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Hi,
    I was just wondering if anyone has done or knows anyone doing this course? i know its a new course but it seems to be in place of the old Make-Up for Stage course. Did anyone do that course and could you give me an idea about what its like, please? what kind of portfolio you presented would be helpful too.

And also as i live in Cork i was wondering what accommodation around iadt is like, i'd like to be a bit closer to the city personally but if anyone can give me some advice and maybe their experience i'd be very grateful. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭*Honey*

Email pat.molloy@iadt.ie and he'll help you with any queries you have about the course.

There is an Accommodation list but it's released only to registered students I believe... you could try contacting margaret.murray@iadt.ie to request it though.

I've read info on the course and it sounds really interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Hannahlu

Hey, thanks for the reply, i think i might actually try emailing and asking for some advice. thanks again.

If theres anyone with anymore info or advice about the accommodation thing i'd really like to hear it, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Em_2008

Hi there I live in the student accomodation for IADT which is just around the corner from college and has the bus stop right outside to town. Its really nice and modern and i think its a great option for first year's. Its mainly occupied by 4th years now so next year there'll be plenty of new faces there. I can PM u more details if you want :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Hi,

I did the Cert in Make-up for Film, TV & Theatre 6 years ago. It was a 2 year course then where you learn everything from corrective make-up, beard stippling, prosthetic noses and ears, life drawing, basic hair styling, how to make blood, make facial hair pieces, body painting. There was very little fashion on it. It was a great but tough course. The lady who designed it is retiring at the end of this college year hence the change of course. I dunno what way it's being run in September as in the modules you take. No doubt they'll have excellent teachers.

Only thing is, having a degree in make-up? You'll still only be a trainee when you finish and learn on the job. I'd find out what areas besides make-up you can work in when you finish the course.

There's tips on preparing a portfolio on the Arts & Crafts forum.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055357937

As regards living arrangements... just live somewhere near the 46a bus route.

Hi Larianne, thanks for the info. I was wondering the same thing, i dont see how a degree in make-up is necessary, i really wish id have applied for the 2 year course back then. Do you mind if i ask how you got on after your 2 years, are you still in make-up, how difficult did you find it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

It is tough out there in make-up land. They don't make many films in Ireland and it is a case of knowing someone to get work. My whole class got to work on King Arthur as it was filming the summer we finished which was great. I worked on small films and tv productions for a while and also on make-up counters and for a short period of time at a big tv studio in the states. Most of the work comes during Spring and Summer. Like The Tudors has been filming here the last while. I think there's two more seasons of that to be filmed. So when things like that come along it's great, but that doesn't happen all the time.

I'm going back to college to study a science related course - but that was always something I wanted to do. There are still girls from my class working in make-up but also a good few who aren't. I guess you get sick of the lack of stability. You could work in RTE but I'd say that place might drive a person mad after a while!

The London College of Fashion have a 2 year course in Make-up for Film, TV and Theatre (a lot of the course ideas they stole from DLIADT) which would be a better option now, I think. You'll make better contacts working with photographers etc. They also have a 1 year fashion course which is meant to be good. The girls I know that moved to London are doing really well and really the best option to get far in the industry.

Don't want to put a downer on your career choice. You could speak to someone else who would give you a completely different view. This is just mine. Ireland is over saturated with make-up artists and there isn't enough jobs for everyone so it is highly competitive and quite bitchy.

If you need any more info just PM and I'll be happy to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 heeereees-jonny

Em_2008 wrote: »
    Hi there I live in the student accomodation for IADT which is just around the corner from college and has the bus stop right outside to town. Its really nice and modern and i think its a great option for first year's. Its mainly occupied by 4th years now so next year there'll be plenty of new faces there. I can PM u more details if you want :)

i'd luv any info u cud giv me about the student accomodation... i know i cant get any frm the college until im officially accepted in August, but i thought i'd get crackin on it since i got my portfolio results (600 out of 600 for their film and television production course!! not too bad, eh?;))

Originally Posted by Em_2008 viewpost.gif
    Hi there I live in the student accomodation for IADT which is just around the corner from college and has the bus stop right outside to town. Its really nice and modern and i think its a great option for first year's. Its mainly occupied by 4th years now so next year there'll be plenty of new faces there. I can PM u more details if you want smile.gif
    i'd luv any info u cud giv me about the student accomodation... i know i cant get any frm the college until im officially accepted in August, but i thought i'd get crackin on it since i got my portfolio results (600 out of 600 for their film and television production course!! not too bad, eh?wink.gif)

Whereabouts is this accommodation, on what road? is it actually student accommodation or house share and how much is it?.......any pictures of what its like?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 heeereees-jonny

i'd luv some pictures too... if u have any...

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

I could be wrong (and so often am) but I don't think IADT has any formal student accommodation.

There's loads of students living in the area in apartments, digs etc. There are groups who stay in an around the Kill Avenue area.

I remember when I was about to start in IADT I went to see a flat (if you could call it that). It was in a house - 3 floors and we were looking for the 3rd floor. There were students all ready there and it turned out they were trying to sublet the top floor (complete with bed that had had it's legs sawn off) and they were looking for pretty much the rent for the full house!! Scammers.

My advice - it is a renters market at the moment. There's tons of rental stock in the Dun Laoghaire area. Shop around and be choosy - what would have got you a kippy flat two years ago will get you a luxury apartment now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ru19

hi i'm looking for people interested in house share as close as poss to iadt. If interested please call 0857478333

cheers!:)

Advertisement