Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone noticed..

Options
  • 11-02-2009 8:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

the way most people who eat meat seem to hate vegetarians?
    Whenever I'm at a party or anything where there's food involved people always are somewhat annoyed by my choice of being a vegetarian..

Its like they think I'm trying to be better than them or am trying to lose weight..and when I explain why I'm vegetarian (because I don't believe in eating animals) they find it hard to understand ..

I'd of thought that people would like a person for not wanting to eat another living being thats most likely been cruelly treated all its life! :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Well, it's not entirely unjustified, our abstention from eating meating contains an implicit criticism of their diet. Wordzzzz

I think it's similar to why knacks sometimes don't like fellows with long hair. The long hair is saying "being a knack isn't good enough for me" or "I want to be different from you", of course that doesn't apply in all cases of long hair.

And what's more, technically they shoudl hate you alot more for saying "I think eating animals is wrong" with a well put argument, than for saying "I'm trying to lose weight" or....something.

Back on topic, I've not noticed any hatred persay, but there is usually a certain tone of annoyance in all of their responses. Most of my close friends though, just directly called me a retard. Which was very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

I've had to stop explaining. Ever since one of my friends called me a hypocrite I haven't been able to explain it to anyone. But I find the suspense of you not telling them overrides a good bit of the critisism. But you're still left with them thinking you're weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

I wouldn't say 'hate'. People are always interested in / entertained by anyone who is different; that's all it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭-lala-

I wouldn't say 'hate'. People are always interested in / entertained by anyone who is different; that's all it is.

yeah I'd agree with that - I've never known anyone to hate me for being a vegan, but there are always those people with the endless questions...

"But why don't you eat honey? they're only bees!"

"But you're doing more harm to the cow by NOT drinking milk!"

"But what if the cow's already dead?"

"But why don't you eat free range chickens?"

"But why do you eat vegetables? You're killing the plants!"

"Do you eat potatoes?" (why do so many people think vegans have a problem with potatoes?!?!?!?:confused:)

I'm blue in the face trying to explain myself to these people!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

No, meat eaters dont hate me. They try to get a rise out of me by saying certain things but as a peaceful non meat eater I simply smile and get on with things!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

actually, no, i've never noticed it.

usually, if offered meat, i grin and say "nah thanks, im a durrty veggie", and that's the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭writetojd

Cant say that I've eaten meals with too many veggie haters. People are generally tolerant if you politely answer them. In oz now so a BBQ is a commonplace, I'm happy eating a salad and getting drunk. Get the usual list of questions; Why? Do you not miss a nice steak? But your a guy?
    Had someone say they didn't believe me because I was a "strapping" big lad. As if being veggie makes you weak and scrawny. :confused:

I usually figure most people say most of it to wind me up or p!ss me off. Doesn't really bother me. Dont preach or go on about the whole how the food on their plate got there so I'm usually left in peace. Most people are intelligent enough to hear my side and accept it. You occasionally get the idiot but there's always one :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

-lala- wrote: »
    yeah I'd agree with that - I've never known anyone to hate me for being a vegan, but there are always those people with the endless questions...

"But why don't you eat honey? they're only bees!"

"But you're doing more harm to the cow by NOT drinking milk!"

"But what if the cow's already dead?"

"But why don't you eat free range chickens?"

"But why do you eat vegetables? You're killing the plants!"

"Do you eat potatoes?" (why do so many people think vegans have a problem with potatoes?!?!?!?:confused:)

I'm blue in the face trying to explain myself to these people!!!!

he he he! such familiar questions :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I don't get a lot of hate, but a lot of people do seem to feel a little affronted. I make a point of not talking much about my reasons for being vegetarian, because I think it's too easy to sound like very self-righteous. I don't criticise anyone for eating meat either. Yet people take to make fun (normal enough), but take it quite far. Most meat-eaters don't really care about my vegetarianism, but I do think a minority take it as an implicit criticism of their morals.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

I've been lucky with my friends & family,I'm the only vegetarian in my group of friends & they are all very supportive in my choice to have a meat free life. I was once at a big dinner party with about 40 people at the table in the restaurant, and there were big platters of food laid out on the table, of course, all meat. And even a few strangers that were sitting near me, pointed out to the restaurant staff that I was a vegetarian & asked to provide me with a meat free option!
    In saying that, I've had my share of people trying to convince me to get a burger after a night out on the town! - No thank you! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Mick Rice

What a 'knack' ? I assume it's a term of endearment of some sort ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Knacks - Skangers, chavs, scumbags... Depends on the name. Those guys with the shaved heads in tracksuits who carry knives and beat people up who look/talk/act different.

My cousins from Galway call them 'shams'. But not people from Tuam.

Sorry, I know that's awfully stereotypical. I'm just trying to explain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

I'm a meat eater (please all don't hate me!) wife is a Vegan for past 8 years & veggie since age of 8.

Advantages - 1. Much cheaper to take her out & 2. I am served up the most amazing vegetable dishes to which i'll add a piece of free range chicken / organic beef on some occasions.

Whereby a friend's wife serves him up over cooked carrots & peas with tasteless potatoes because she thinks meat is the be all & end all for dinners.

Dis-advantages (sort of) - 2 microwaves, 2 fridges, 2 sets of pans, 2 sets oven trays, 2 sets of knife blocks.
    Funny - she has no problem drinking the wine that's stored in the "meat" fridge!:D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

if people ask me the dreaded question

i just ask them back what religion they are or what their sexual preference is

its my business no one elses and i dont explain myself to anyone

Advertisement