Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help Needed (again)

• 11-02-2009 9:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭

OK here goes , i have a dell d600 laptop with xp pro , all was well untill this afternoon, I have installed norton 360 last night and also a copying programme, Both last night, Now i can get windows to start up, i get the usual chose user etc ,(my kids us it as well) but when i select any user i get the wallpaper up but no desktop icons or start menu etc, i left it like this for 5 mins and it did try to start the icons started to apper, but then tried to go to stand by.

If i start in safe mode it all appers to be fine it starts up with no problem.
    So i removed the copy programme but cant remove norton because it says "it appers your in safe mode restart and remove in normal mode" or something to that effect.

I presume its a conflict in the start up menu?? Or something like that, any ideas how to fix it without having to reboot.

Any help would be great,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭sandleman1979

Well, if you get into safe mode, then goto run then type msconfig. I'm not 100% sure if it is available in safe mode but pretty sure it it...
    This will load a small application, one of the tabs will be startup. see if there is any Norton 360 items in there and untick them. Press apply and reboot your machine as normal..

Alternatively in safe mode goto run then type services.msc
    A whole list of the computers services appear see if there are any for Norton 360 and change then double click the name of the service and change the startup type to disabled. This will prevent the norton services from starting.

Then at least you can try and uninstall as the msi services for uninstalling will be available..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭arsebandit

Ok gave that a go , No luck still the same, There was nothing named Norton, a few with symantac so i un checked and disabled them, Any more ideas??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭sandleman1979

i found this link
    http://www.nirmaltv.com/2008/02/13/windows-xp-tips-installuninstall-applications-in-safe-mode/

Never tried it, and i don't use XP anymore to really test it...
    It basically allows the windows installer service to be started in safe mode.

Heres the text from the site...

When you install any software, if the installation is not proper or because of some other reasons sometimes, Window refuses to boot after restart. Windows can be booted in safe mode in such circumstances, but the installer will not work. When yo reboot in safe mode, you need to create a registry entry for Windows installer to work for install.

NB: If you use the registry editor incorrectly, you might cause serious problems that might require you to reinstall your operating system. Use the registry editor at your own risk. Keep a backup of registry before editing.

To create a Registry entry, open command prompt ( Run->Cmd). Type the following command in the Window-
    REG ADD HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\MSIServer/VE/TREG_SZ/F/D %Service%

You can also create a entry from registry editor.

Next start the Windows Installer Service by typing net start msiserver. Once this is done, you will be able to install/uninstall applications in safe mode.

Advertisement