Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Favre Retires!!

• 11-02-2009 9:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭

Just seen it on nfl.com.
    He never looked right in the Jet uniform

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

Guh. I knew this would happen -- Now the Jets are in exactly the same position they were in before he came back. What a waste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

No - they don't have Pennington. Although, they do have the draft ahead of them, and the Free Agency. Which they were without last July/August.
    If they'd made the playoff (as they undoubtedly would have, had Favre's arm not got injured), people wouldn't have been saying it was a waste. Pennington, in fairness, wasn't working there, and they'd few other options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

about time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Gone for good this time? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

What again?

All the same I'm sure that's that for him, and he has been a legend over the last 18 years, and a model pro for his appearences and dedication. The same platitudes apply tonight as they did when he packed up last time.

His records are brilliant and deserve to stand as a bencemark for some time.

But as a Colts fan, I'm hoping Peyton Manning hunts him down.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

maybe he will finally **** off into the sunset now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Its So Easy

Well three things have to happen before I'll believe he has retired.

1. He gets the paperwork in order to retire from the league as soon as possible.(this is the important one)

2.He doesn't show up to the Jets training camp.

3. And he isn't under centre for the Jets in week one of next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Nice to see that he finally understands that teams need to know your intentions well in advance and that it is not all about him.

Great QB. I have seen him line up across frommy Bears for far too many years, but every good thing comes to an end.

Time to get ready for a multi-million dollar per year analyst job from here on out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭JJ

I'm with It's So Easy, I won't believe it until the I see a QB who is not Brett Favre taking a snap for the Jets (or any another team) on their first offensive down in Week 1 of next season.

Maybe he's tarnished his legacy a little over the past year but he's still a legend, his place in Canton is assured and his records should stand for quite some time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

But as a Colts fan, I'm hoping Peyton Manning hunts him down.:eek:
    I hope so too. And I'm not a colts fan, I just think that Peyton is a better QB.
    Well three things have to happen before I'll believe he has retired.
    1. He gets the paperwork in order to retire from the league as soon as possible.(this is the important one)
    The paperwork is in. He has retired and won't be back. Ever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭brennaldo

With respect to farve, i also hope Manning breaks his records (when manning retires i hope he is looked at as even better, possibly one of the best)

I hope Aaron Rodgers breaks his records...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Manning is a far better QB than Favre. Hate Jughead and the Colts but he is trés awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

davyjose wrote: »
    No - they don't have Pennington. Although, they do have the draft ahead of them, and the Free Agency. Which they were without last July/August.
    If they'd made the playoff (as they undoubtedly would have, had Favre's arm not got injured), people wouldn't have been saying it was a waste. Pennington, in fairness, wasn't working there, and they'd few other options.

After retiring the first time, you had to question how long Favre would be around, whether or not they did make the playoffs. To bring someone in just for one stellar season is, in my opinion, a waste. And I know it's done all the time in the era of free agency, and it's going to continue to happen, but I personally hate it.

Not to take away from the man's career, for heaven's sake! A little off-topic, but I was reading nfl.com the other day, and Steve Wyche mentioned Phillip Rivers being the next Favre . . . interesting . . .

Tristram wrote: »
    Manning is a far better QB than Favre.

I'm not sure that anyone is a far better QB than Favre. Sure, a lot of his image is based on his strength and mental toughness rather than ability, but he didn't fluke his way to all those records and a Superbowl ring and 3 MVPs and almost 500 tds etc. etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 319 ✭✭jamsieboy86

Jets to trade for Matt Cassel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,193 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I don't know about Manning catching up Favre for any records. He'll need to play at least five more seasons and even then he requires:
    • 5 seasons @ 26 TD/season
    • 6 full seasons to overtake his starting record
    • 5 seasons @ 3900yds/season
    • 5 and a half seasons at his career ave for completions
    • Over 6 full seasons at his career ave for attempts
    • 10 seasons @ 14.5/season for Ints. (LOL)

I can't see Manning playing more than 4 more years. He started last season coming off a fairly serious injury.

Rodgers hasn't a hope of catching Favre's career records. He might get some single season records, though. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Jets to trade for Matt Cassel?

Pats wont let it happen and the Cassel wont go there.

Wow Brett Favre goes from the Packers to the Jets and all of a sudden people hate him?

Ok there is always 2 sides to every coin and no one will ever know for fact the real reason why Brett Favre left the Packers to join the Jets. I spend alot of time in WI and there seems to be alot of bitterness floating about. And then this rubs off on the rest of the NFL. So what if Favre orignally changed his mind about retiring or acted like a child while doing so.

Simple fact he will always be one of the greatest QB's to have ever played in the NFL and anyone says otherwise needs their head examined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭delanec8

Pherekydes wrote: »
    I don't know about Manning catching up Favre for any records. He'll need to play at least five more seasons and even then he requires:
    • 5 seasons @ 26 TD/season
    • 6 full seasons to overtake his starting record
    • 5 seasons @ 3900yds/season
    • 5 and a half seasons at his career ave for completions
    • Over 6 full seasons at his career ave for attempts
    • 10 seasons @ 14.5/season for Ints. (LOL)

I can't see Manning playing more than 4 more years. He started last season coming off a fairly serious injury.

Rodgers hasn't a hope of catching Favre's career records. He might get some single season records, though. :)

If he doesnt get seriously injured, i would be very surprised if manning didnt play for another 6 or 7 years (he just seems to love playing far too much to leave the game early). If he does he will break all those records, apart from the interceptions. He seems like the type who would play on an extra year to break them anyway

EDIT: He was never thrown fewer than 26tds in a season and has only thrown for fewer than 3900yds twice in his career.

• Advertisement

Ok there is always 2 sides to every coin and no one will ever know for fact the real reason why Brett Favre left the Packers to join the Jets. I spend alot of time in WI and there seems to be alot of bitterness floating about. And then this rubs off on the rest of the NFL. So what if Favre orignally changed his mind about retiring or acted like a child while doing so.
    Well, I personally don't think the Packers dealt with it well themselves, so IMO it's not just Favre who acted childishly. I think the fact that the fans have turned on a guy who gave them 16 seasons has allowed them to avoid any culpability.
    The guy wanted to play Football and the Jets offered him a chance to do so. You're a Pats fan (most people on here are), but I bet if the Jets offered you a chance to be starting QB for a season, you'd take it.

Pats wont let it happen and the Cassel wont go there.

I think the Jets will take a QB in the draft. They need to. Taking has-beens or back-up QB's is no way to ensure success - no offence to Cassel, because as you said, they won't get him.

davyjose wrote: »
    but I bet if the Jets offered you a chance to be starting QB for a season, you'd take it.

Yes I would but what has that got to do what I said. I like Brett Favre and I think that anyone who bad mouths him are just bitter Packers fans or idiots. Jesus the Pats could have done with Brett Favre the season gone.

And dude the child thing. He is a grown man if he had just came straight and said he doesnt know what to do and will put his retirement on hold until he waits to see if he can get a new team. No one would have objected. Simple fact the Packers fooked him out and now they are all bitter because the man who gave them success left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

The Brett Favre who played for the Packers seems to be a very different (at least hopefully) man from the one who played for the Jets.

http://www.wkowtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=9761840
    http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/02/12/now-that-hes-retired-maybe-brett-favre-can-grow-up/

Serve as examples to this. Brett Favre was more interested in Brett Favre and his MVPs than the Green Bay Packers. Whenever it was said to me by rival fans before I denied it but there's no getting away from it.

Brett, you were a glorious QB and a bona fide Packer legend, but you are a prime example of a media-whore.

Ok there is always 2 sides to every coin and no one will ever know for fact the real reason why Brett Favre left the Packers to join the Jets. I spend alot of time in WI and there seems to be alot of bitterness floating about.
    Yes I would but what has that got to do what I said.

Because the Jets were offering him the chance to play football. It's simple for me, the guy retires before he was ready to. He tried to change his mind, the Packers weren't having any of it, so he went to a team that would (who wouldn't - that's my point). I really don't see too much wrong in that.

Not sure too many Packers fans would bad mouth him, after all he was and is a legend. And of course he had to do what was right for himself. In recent days the franchise has reaffirmed its intentions to retire his number, and signalled that there is a place for him behind the scenes in Green Bay if he
    has retired from playing.

But on the other hand there is no denying that some of the gloss is gone. He is now merely my favourite QB ever, but he no longer walks on Lake Michigan...

Not sure too many Packers fans would bad mouth him, after all he was and is a legend. And of course he had to do what was right for himself. In recent days the franchise has reaffirmed its intentions to retire his number, and signalled that there is a place for him behind the scenes in Green Bay if he
    has retired from playing.

But on the other hand there is no denying that some of the gloss is gone. He is now merely my favourite QB ever, but he no longer walks on Lake Michigan...

I spend most of my year in Wisconsin and Packers fans are 50/50 on Brett Favre. Alot of Packers have turned on him like a pack off wolves. Some even forgetting what he has done for them. There are others are just Brett Favre fans and not Packers fans. And the minute he left the Packers they stopped caring about what the Pack do. People in Wisconsin are a crazy bunch. Awesome folk but crazy when it comes to football. Its comical sitting in a WI bar during football season :D

And the franchise had to do something to make it look like they did nothing wrong when it was 50% their fault he left in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

How was it the Packers fault? Farve acted pretty poorly in the whole situation I think. He says he's retired, then during mini-camp rumours are ocming out that he wants to come back, he deny's that he wants to comeback then he says he's coming back. :rolleyes:

He put the Packers organisation in an awful spot and I dont see what they should of done differently.

How was it the Packers fault? Farve acted pretty poorly in the whole situation I think. He says he's retired, then during mini-camp rumours are ocming out that he wants to come back, he deny's that he wants to comeback then he says he's coming back. :rolleyes:

He put the Packers organisation in an awful spot and I dont see what they should of done differently.

Chucky if you honestly think Brett Favre is 100% at fault in all this just google Packers Ted Thompson and Brett Favre and see how many hits you come up with. You will see all the different stories about it. Until a neutral person who knows the organisation inside out can come out and tell everybody what actually happened we will never know. Read all the reports and make your own mind up but I truly believe it takes two to tango.

• Advertisement

Chucky if you honestly think Brett Favre is 100% at fault in all this just google Packers Ted Thompson and Brett Favre and see how many hits you come up with. You will see all the different stories about it. Until a neutral person who knows the organisation inside out can come out and tell everybody what actually happened we will never know. Read all the reports and make your own mind up but I truly believe it takes two to tango.

He's the one that asked them up to dance though. :pac: I'd say it more 70-30 with Farve taking the majority of blame. I'll google it now and see what I can uncover though.

Also, Farve as come out and said he's mad the packers for not allowing him to go where he wanted too. Also contains an interview with him about playing for the packers etc.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3905730&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

He's the one that asked them up to dance though. :pac: I'd say it more 70-30 with Farve taking the majority of blame. I'll google it now and see what I can uncover though.

Also, Farve as come out and said he's mad the packers for not allowing him to go where he wanted too. Also contains an interview with him about playing for the packers etc.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3905730&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

That interview I have seen already and doesnt support either argument :D The fact of the matter is both Packers and Brett Favre are never going to bad mouth each other. Deep down everything that went on will never come to light unless of course the Patriots taped it in a skygate fashion :p Both parties have nothing to gain from bad mouthing each other. But interestingly enough Favre did say

""[The] most disappointing thing is, 'We don't want you play here and we don't want you play certain teams,' " Favre said. "That made me mad. If not good enough play here let me play against you&if I'm not that good don't worry about it. That's what angered me.""

Which suggests the Packer were actually being aholes to him and does look like they wanted Favre to go somewhere where he couldnt impact and therefore letting his legacy live on in Green Bay. Personally if I was as big as Brett Favre i would have had the same attitude he had though. :D

Do you think Pats are being assholes to Cassell if they didnt allow him go to the Jets? To me it more looks like they wanted him to go somewhere not in theirdivision and even conference which is perfectly acceptable.

Do you think Pats are being assholes to Cassell if they didnt allow him go to the Jets? To me it more looks like they wanted him to go somewhere not in theirdivision and even conference which is perfectly acceptable.

Yes I do in fact. Cassel should be allowed to go where ever he wants to go. In fact the type of contract Cassel has signed the Pats might want to think about all offers as the Tender he signed means if even the Pats accept a contract from say the Lions it then up to Cassel to agree to it. So how many teams out there do you think Cassel will want to go to if the Pats need to trade him if Brady is 100%. I honestly dont see it happening but if the Jets are the only offer and we need rid of Cassel and he agrees to the Jets he will be a Jets QB.

Cassel signs $14.65M franchise tender

Now that QB Matt Cassel has signed his $14.65 million non-exclusive franchise tender — the largest guarantee on a one-year contract in the history of the NFL — some around the league believe it’s 95 percent that he remains in New England.

The only way the Patriots would trade Cassel is if they know QB Tom Brady is healthy, and even if they do, the bidder needs to be to Cassel’s liking and offer a contract to his liking, or there’s no deal.

That’s not to say it can’t happen. But it’s not going to be easy to make it happen.

I don't think the Pats want Cassell to sit down and shut up and retire like a good little boy. That's what the Packers practically demanded from Favre, and until the media storm turned into a hurricane they seemed to be getting their wish.

Advertisement