Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LAN/Networking Work Experience

Options
  • 11-02-2009 9:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I'm currently working in IT and have done so since leaving College 5 Years ago.I guess you could say I'm an Application Support Engineer, dealing mostly in the UNIX admin side of things. Unix is good but I'm looking to move into the Network Support side of things i.e Cisco, Routing and Switching
    I'm looking to get some additional Hours Work Experience in the LAN/Networking area in Galway in my spare time (Evenings). ***Just want to make clear I have a job, I'm not looking for remuneration, just more experience in this area***

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience or tips about taking this approach (In General)

I am thinking of approaching Companies( Small-to-Large) directly but I just wanted to put the feelers out there to see if this is a common thing to do and if anyone had any suggestions

I have some previous LAN experience within a Multinational Company but I am looking to extend that experience and build up my hours.
    I am currently studying for my CCNP. I am CCNA and A+ Certified with a BSc (Hons) Computer Science Degree.
    Any tips/pointers would be great, Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

I'd suggest that your time would be better spent working on the Cisco qualifications. Any networking work experience you'd get would be trivial stuff. No one is going to trust someone in on work experience to deal with complicated networks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 galwaylanman

Gavin wrote: »
    I'd suggest that your time would be better spent working on the Cisco qualifications. Any networking work experience you'd get would be trivial stuff. No one is going to trust someone in on work experience to deal with complicated networks.

Appreciate the response Gavin. I agree, believe me my Cisco Certs are paramount as it is. I wasn't expecting to dive in configuring networks or the like, and I'm under no illusions - I would imagine the majority of the work would be trivial/tedious but I guess I was just wondering if anyone had any direct experiences of it and if they found it of any benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Any networking work experience you'd get would be trivial stuff. No one is going to trust someone in on work experience to deal with complicated networks.

I would argue that working with relatively basic networks for a while would be an important foundation for working with complicated network maintenance and design.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

My concern for you is that as networks and network infrastructure is quite confidential Im not sure would people allow you in. I guess your best bet would be friends of friends.. For example the networks we work on are in our control to a point, if the clients didnt trust us they wouldnt let us near them.. Just a thought..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

FruitLover wrote: »
    I would argue that working with relatively basic networks for a while would be an important foundation for working with complicated network maintenance and design.

Well he has a CCNA, so should have that basic knowledge already.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ali.cisco

hi is there any company in ireland which gives newly qualified ccna work experience. thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ali.cisco

Well he has a CCNA, so should have that basic knowledge already.

is there any company in ireland which gives work exp. for newly ccna
    or hire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Ask in a new thread, stop dragging up old ones. Also one post is enough.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement