Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flippin Vodafone wreckin' my head

• 11-02-2009 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys
    Have just been on the phone to vodafone to see why i was having trouble retrieving my NAC code and am absolutely fuming. Now i only have a crappy z310i with voda but i bought an unlocked k800i off my sister a while back which i use for an o2 sim(rarely). I wanted to unlock the z310i and switch sims as the k800i is a lot more use to me.
    So when i asked vodafone why i cant retrieve the nac code im told i have to have topped up by E130 in the last 6months. When did this change, as it used to be a certain amount of credit since you bought the phone.
    Ive been with vodafone since 1999 and this is the final straw for me. I got the usual stuff about the handsets being subsidised and they have to recoup their money and that all networks operate this policy now, but ive been with them 10 years and ive more than paid for that crappy z310i! I would have understood if i was intending on leaving the network, which i wasnt at the time-Though that has definitely change.
    Anyone got a link for this on their T&C as all i got was :

We're sorry, an error has occurred
    You were unable to access this service because of a problem with one of our servers. We're working to resolve the problem and the service will be available again shortly.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

you can get it done in an unlocking shop for ~€20

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭chasm

Thanks Sam Vimes
    I think it needs a cable to unlock it, would an unlocking shop be able to do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭CivilEx

Double check that the IMEI listed on My Vodafone for release of the NAC is correct. If it isn't, it could be another reason why you are getting the server problem message. I went through this around 8 months ago to the point of contacting Samsung in Norway or wherever, only to find that when I physically checked the phone the IMEI had been incorrectly recorded by Vodafone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

If you would like to get your phone unlocked you can get advice in this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=304061

As for the Vodafone online system. I got my mates Vodafone login, he had topped up by €130 in the last 6 months, I popped my IMEI in and it gave me the code. I did all this about an hour ago so once you enter the right IMEI when requesting on the website it really doesn't matter what IMEI Vodafone have for you.

Thread reopened (for now anyway) as the OP is looking for details re Vodafones T&C related to unlocking, rather than help with unlocking itself.

Keep your questions on how to unlock to the sticky though please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,248 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

What's going on with Vodafone.....

I've had 2 customer in the same position as regards their unlock codes lately...

They seem to be deliberately fobbing off genuine customers, one guy came in with his proof of purchase, he had topped up by the required amount, he was told on the phone by the customers rep that it's not a Vodafone phone and they will not be able to supply the unlock code..
    He had a proof of purchase with the IMEI on it and it was a vodafone branded handset...

From what i'm hearing on the ground and from reading posts on boards Vodafone has really turned into a pile of overpriced crap...

From what i'm hearing on the ground and from reading posts on boards Vodafone has really turned into a pile of overpriced crap...
    Not relevant, keep it to yourself. Support it with evidence on the relevant threads and not this one please.

Random wrote: »
    Not relevant, keep it to yourself. Support it with evidence on the relevant threads and not this one please.

Granted it's not relevant, but I used to think Voda were the best but something has changed recently...they seem to have lost all interest..

I'm not sure re the €130 thing coming in ... in the last 6 months or so I would guess from experience.

I've just accepted it as part of their T&C. They change so often with mobile operators and as prepay isn't a contract as such, I've assumed and accepted that they can do what they like, when they like once they post the details somewhere.

I've always found ways to get my codes regardless so I've never really pushed networks :)

Random wrote: »

I've always found ways to get my codes regardless so I've never really pushed networks :)

snap, but what do you when it's a vodafone phone (i mean one they brought out themselves) i'm not going to get 2 wound up about it....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭zedhead

Even the vodafone branded phones are by other manufacturers, a few of them i think are sagem, and im not sure what the others are. and you can still get unlock codes for them.
    The worst thing i found about Vodafone while i was with them was their customer service, they people they have answering the phones dont seem to have a clue what they are doing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭chasm

This is the only bit of info i could find on the site:

Certain network termination charges may apply in the event that the Customer wishes to use the Equipment on another mobile network and the amount of Call credit applied to the Customer's Account up to the date of termination is less than the amount specified by Vodafone from time to time.

Couldnt find anything at all that refers to what their current rules are. Also i dont see how this is very fair- your balance being set to zero at the end of each 6 month period- If like me you are not a heavy mobile user and you only topped up by E20 per month, after 6 months and E120 you get set to zero again- Unlike Vodafone UK where you can get the NAC after 1 year!

Meant to say that the thing thats really bugging me about this is that i phoned Vodafone a couple of months ago about getting the NAC, and i was told at that time i had to top up by another E27 before i could retrieve it- There was absolutely no mention of a 6 month time frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭lenomark

i bought a vodafone handset on littlewoods and its locked to uk network so it costs me mad money too recieve calls . contacted vodafone ie and they wanted 160e to unlock so here is what i did, i went online to vodafone uk and asked them to unlock the phone but they told me it would cost 20pound so i told them that if they unlocked the phone i would switch from meteor to vodafone here in ireland. next day i received a code in email cost me nothing .

Advertisement