Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Fetac Level 5 Childcare recognised in NZ?

Options
  • 11-02-2009 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone could tell me if the Fetac level 5 Childcare course is recognised in New Zealand please.... many thanks. I did ring the New Zealand Qualifications Authority who said I had to fill in an online form and it would cost me $300 to find out.... so would be grateful if someone could just tell me or point me in the right direction!!! Many thanks....:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

hmmm, might try give my old boss a ring and see if i can find out. though they are crying out for preschool teachers here, have you got much work experience behind you as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭justagirl

hmmm, might try give my old boss a ring and see if i can find out. though they are crying out for preschool teachers here, have you got much work experience behind you as well?

Thank you Crumble Froo-I would very much appreciate it ... I'm not in NZ yet and won't be for at least a year so I am trying to find out if doing a full-time one year Fetac 5 is worth it or not when/if we go back .. I don't want to pay $300 if its not recognised when I haven't even done it if you know what I mean!!!! Re: work experience, I have a little, I've my own children so I have lots of experience at home..! Thanks again Crumble Froo - I very much appreciate it...

i work for an agency which provides relievers for preschools, and with them, at least, you can get employment without actual qualifications. i've experience with coaching kids, some voluntary work in temple st children's hospital, and some youth work... no experience, but they've taken me on, sponsored me and ive gotten heaps of work off them.

im due a visit to the place who loved me and kept me to themselves for 4-5months, so ill see what i can suss from them, but i think the fetac should be good... ill be in touch with them (and subsequently you) over the course of the next week... not tomorrow, mind, ive no money to get out to them, but definitely sometime next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Lola87

I'm qualified as a primary school teacher in Ireland and hoping to spend a year in Oz/ New Zealand next year. I'd love to work in a pre-school as I've mainly taught younger classes. How did you go about getting work once you got there?

the preschool i spent most of my time working with, had a former primary school teacher working there (excellent teacher), so it is possible to get a job in that qualification, apparently she used to particularly enjoy working with 'new entry' kids, or whatever...

i suppose the main way to get a job is through either answering ads in papers, or by joining relieving agencies in the hope of finding work etc through tehre... 123 careers works specifically with ABC centres, and aims to find permanant work for people the more qualifications you have, the better a position you're in.

though they really are crying out for preschool teachers over here. apply for anything you find, you're almost guaranteed a job!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Lola87

Wow thats great news so! Thanks for the info Crumble Froo, you've made my day!

oh christ. i take no responsibility for whatever happens next!

but the girls i worked with (technically, i was on hire from the agency, but was considered a permanant-temporary member of staff for the 5 months i was there), were absolutely shocked that i didnt get my visa based on there being enough kiwis out there who could 'technically' do my job.

they went on a massive rant about how there just weren't enough teachers out there and they'd spent a few months looking for a replacement person to take my place after xmas, and they just couldnt find anyone.

ill go visit them next week see how they're going, and see hwat i can figure out about the fetac.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭justagirl

ill go visit them next week see how they're going, and see hwat i can figure out about the fetac.

Thank you very much Crumble Froo - I really do appreciate it... Can you say what agency you work for? (or even pm me so I can just look to see what kind of jobs are out there? also, my hubby is a kiwi so I would be entitled by marriage to have citizenship etc in time - would that help me in any way work wise?) How long have you been in NZ? Are you enjoying it?... I lived in Auckland for a year and loved it.. was homesick at the time thats why I came back...

Actually, now that you ask about experience... I wasn't thinking (thats what happens to you when you are a stay at home mum with two 'lively' girls!!!!!) ... I have volunteered with an Arch Club, helped set up and run a youth club and I did homework clubs with disadvantaged children in London when I lived there - I'd forgotten ....:o ... and that (together with my love of children of course!).... is why I want to do a course to gain a qualification in that field to help me when we go back to NZ - at that stage both my children will be in primary school....

Sorry for the ramble :o ! Thanks ....

Advertisement