Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy/live

Options
  • 11-02-2009 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

I just joined the site and I have a query about the following areas I've been looking at to buy a house/apartment... What do you think about these areas?Any advice or suggestion is much appreciated.

Drimnagh
    Inchicore
    Kilmainham
    Islandbridge
    D1 (docklands and the like)
    Cabra
    Navan Road
    Chapelizod

To be 100% honest I'd love to buy a 2/3 bed duplex or 2/3 bed house with some garden, spacious rooms and not falling to pieces or where there's very little work to do, parking off the street, safe area where I can walk alone in the evening, and facilities like shops etc, good means of transportation...

Now, saying that, my top top budget is 300K.

Do I have any hope in finding my dream house????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

If you can afford 300k very comofrtably + stress tested against intreest hikes

have 10%-20% deposit.

don't plan on moving for 5-10 years.

have a very secure job.

then start driving to areas where you think you might like to live talk to neighbours etc etc

if all the above is not true

sit it out

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭mayblue

ntlbell wrote: »
    If you can afford 300k very comofrtably + stress tested against intreest hikes

have 10%-20% deposit.

don't plan on moving for 5-10 years.

have a very secure job.

then start driving to areas where you think you might like to live talk to neighbours etc etc

if all the above is not true

sit it out

Any areas of the ones I mentioned that you know of personally where i should be considering first?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

im not familiar with most of the areas you mentioned but im aware some of them are considered a bit dodge, ruff etc..but none the less probably grand neighbourhoods...im a northsider myself and aim to stay on this side as its home to me..i'd consider D1 docklands...great architecture around the ifsc and along both sides of the liffy bit of vibrancy and contemporary culture..you wont get a back garden but i'd expect the properties will hold their value better due to the proximity to city centre/jobs, luas, dart etc...this is opinion rather than advice but take what you want from it...think the post about your current status/security is great advice..and defo visit all those places day and night and get a feel for each place, some communities might be more close knit and difficult to become part of than others..

mayblue wrote: »
    Any areas of the ones I mentioned that you know of personally where i should be considering first?

I have no idea.

I don't know anything about you.

You can't expect strangers to decide where you want to live

make a list of things that are important to you and start looking

I wouldn't class any of the areas you mentioned "rough"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

You will not get a 300k house in any of those areas mentioned. Face it, assuming your a new entrant, you've been priced out like the majority in your positiion.

An apt is your only option. But if you wait longer, prices will drop into your range to enable you to purchase a house in those areas in which some are dodge and some are attractive. I'm not going to name which ones are dodge as it might start a flame war ;) but do a google and research yourself and visit the areas in question :)

• Advertisement

gurramok wrote: »
    But if you wait longer, prices will drop into your range to enable you to purchase a house in those areas in which some are dodge and some are attractive. I'm not going to name which ones are dodge as it might start a flame war ;) but do a google and research yourself and visit the areas in question :)

careful now ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭DJDC

I hear Sheriff Street is a great place. Close to the city and wonderful neighbours.

I have no idea.

I don't know anything about you.

You can't expect strangers to decide where you want to live

make a list of things that are important to you and start looking

I wouldn't class any of the areas you mentioned "rough"

Just to clarify, I do not expect strangers to tell me where to live, i was asking for an opinion on the areas as i'm not too familiar with some of those, i was merely looking for feedback like the one you provided about areas not being rough to you knowledge.
    Obviously the last and most important decision is mine, but getting some help from strangers who have a non-biased opinion might also be a good starting point.
    And I have already a list of priorities for myself so I'll surely have that in my mind when I go looking...

Piriz wrote: »
    im not familiar with most of the areas you mentioned but im aware some of them are considered a bit dodge, ruff etc..but none the less probably grand neighbourhoods...im a northsider myself and aim to stay on this side as its home to me..i'd consider D1 docklands...great architecture around the ifsc and along both sides of the liffy bit of vibrancy and contemporary culture..you wont get a back garden but i'd expect the properties will hold their value better due to the proximity to city centre/jobs, luas, dart etc...this is opinion rather than advice but take what you want from it...think the post about your current status/security is great advice..and defo visit all those places day and night and get a feel for each place, some communities might be more close knit and difficult to become part of than others..

Thank you Piriz, i much appreciate the opinion :)

careful now ;)

i'm always carefull despite appearences ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

Just to clarify, I do not expect strangers to tell me where to live, i was asking for an opinion on the areas as i'm not too familiar with some of those, i was merely looking for feedback like the one you provided about areas not being rough to you knowledge..
    If you're seriously considering buying in one of these areas I'd highly recommend you consider renting there first. Visiting an area a few times at different times of the day can be helpful. But there's not substitute for actually living there. If you decide that after a few months renting that you like the area, go ahead with your purchase. It's quite possible that the price of properties in the area will have fallen during that time anyway. If your experience in the area wasn't pleasant, at least you will have saved yourself from a very expensive mistake.

DJDC wrote: »
    I hear Sheriff Street is a great place. Close to the city and wonderful neighbours.

i talked to my flatmate yesterday and she said that in the past it wasn't a very nice area, however...considering how they developed the area in recent years, maybe things have changed now....

i'm going to see apartments there this evening :D

If you're seriously considering buying in one of these areas I'd highly recommend you consider renting there first. Visiting an area a few times at different times of the day can be helpful. But there's not substitute for actually living there. If you decide that after a few months renting that you like the area, go ahead with your purchase. It's quite possible that the price of properties in the area will have fallen during that time anyway. If your experience in the area wasn't pleasant, at least you will have saved yourself from a very expensive mistake.

thank you banger, i'd say that the suggestion of renting where you want to buy is a good one...i'm already renting in one of the areas i like however i'm thinking that if i had to live in every single area i listed i wouldn't really do myself a favour as it would take me a year probably before i could buy a house/apt.....

the good thing is... at least two areas are familiar to me, the others, i'll have to check it out more closely in the next few weeks....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭dazberry

To be 100% honest I'd love to buy a 2/3 bed duplex or 2/3 bed house with some garden, spacious rooms and not falling to pieces or where there's very little work to do, parking off the street, safe area where I can walk alone in the evening, and facilities like shops etc, good means of transportation...

I know a few of those areas (am keeping an eye out myself but holding off as the job situations isn't great) and there are houses is reasonable condition with asking prices of 300k or less. They're all on myhome or daft, have you not checked these sites?

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Stufinnegan

The only area advise I can give is for Islandbridge (as I live there), Chapelizod & Drimnagh.

Islandbridge:
    Pros: great location, 10 mins by bus to the city center, feels like your in the countryside, Ryans pub, easy to drive to everywhere from here.

Cons: you will only find apartments

Chapelizod:
    Pros: Beautiful village, good pubs, good ammenaties,

cons: Traffic is bad most of the day, busses are full all the time,

Drimnagh:
    Pros: you will find a house in your price range here (rather than an apartment)

Cons: a wee bit dodgy in parts

of course i did... they are the two most viewed site on my computer for the past two months... i've seen some nice places in drimnagh and drove there a couple of times last month... however there's some places around there that make me nervous... inchicore is the same...

i've seen some nice places in drimnagh and drove there a couple of times last month... however there's some places around there that make me nervous... inchicore is the same...

I know inchicore really well but don't know drimnagh, so yeah I see what you're saying. Any particular part of Inchicore?

D.

dazberry wrote: »
    I know inchicore really well but don't know drimnagh, so yeah I see what you're saying. Any particular part of Inchicore?

D.

emmet road, grattan crescent etc are nice areas... however the further you go on tyrconnel road towards the luas the more nervous it makes me feel...and in general, around the canal

last year a made a mistake of ending up in the wrong place, close to popular buildings there in inchicore and someone threw something heavy from a window on the top of my car, i was so scared i turned around and drove away as far as i could :eek: not a nice experience to be repeated to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Hi,

Many of those areas you mention are 'working class'. I dont particularly like that term as it seems to be a slur on people that get off their a$$ and work.

Anyway, apart from Chapelizod, those areas would also be considered a bit on the rough side.

It sounds like you havent really got a clue about what it would be like to live close to inner-city Dublin, and I think you would be making a mistake by jumping into areas you are socially, emotionally and historically totally unfamiliar with. Try walking around those places at night and go into a local boozer for a pint and see if you like whats going on.

And please nobody start beating me with your big anonymous internet stick about snobbery, Im from Tallaght so Ive some experience with areas that hold a lot of council or post-council estates and the headbangers that live there. Theres a lot of lifetime dole-class people there and most of the areas where this guy is talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I know a few of those areas (am keeping an eye out myself but holding off as the job situations isn't great) and there are houses is reasonable condition with asking prices of 300k or less. They're all on myhome or daft, have you not checked these sites?

D.

Did a quick search of all the areas bar D1 for a 2/3 bed hse less than 300k. 57 matches returned on Daft. Most(90%+) are old corpo houses, a fair few i would not live in the particular area(that is personal choice on the individual without of course naming any areas ;)) and another batch needing modernisation.(surprised they are still trying to flog these).

So, without knowing every street in the neighbourhoods listed but i do know quite a few, i'd hazard about 6 houses listed which had an average asking of 285k->300k would be tolerable neighbourhoods to live in if one is going to spend borrow lets say 270k->300k.

• Advertisement

thank you for the feedback, you are right about the fact that i'm not too familiar with some of the areas, that's the reason why i was asking for an opinion... obviously i'll do more research before buying a house anywhere.
    so far i've based my opinion on what i've seen at first glance driving through them

emmet road, grattan crescent etc are nice areas... however the further you go on tyrconnel road towards the luas the more nervous it makes me feel...and in general, around the canal

last year a made a mistake of ending up in the wrong place, close to popular buildings there in inchicore and someone threw something heavy from a window on the top of my car, i was so scared i turned around and drove away as far as i could :eek: not a nice experience to be repeated to be honest

Yeah that's not too good. The general areas of anti-social behaviour are around the canal (specifically around the middle) and what's left of St Micheals estate AFAIK. If I was buying around Inchicore I'd be looking around the Bulfin area, Bulfin Rd, Anner Rd, Kickham Rd etc. I'm further up tyrconnel rd and find it ok.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

. If I was buying around Inchicore I'd be looking around the Bulfin area, Bulfin Rd, Anner Rd, Kickham Rd etc. I'm further up tyrconnel rd and find it ok.

D.

I'm living off Bulfin Road now nearly a year, love it, no probs at all. I also lived in the other end of Inchicore for 3 years (up Railway Terrace nr CIE works) and it was grand. Actually the old CIE cottages are beautiful. If i had a permanent job and everything i would definitely buy around the Bulfin Road area. I looked on daft lately and I think you can get a house for around 300k in that area.

Advertisement