Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Searching for new broadband provider

Options
  • 11-02-2009 10:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

I'm currently with IBB DSL on one of their old packages. I'm paying about €42 a month or whatever it is for 3meg down and 384 up.

My line rental and phone package are dealt with separately so I don't want to link these in with my broadband in any way.

The max speed my line will support is 3meg.

I'm looking to switch to a new provider because the cost of this IBB package is way above the average.

Currently I have unlimited downloads but their not crucial.

I looked at imagines package (I know IBB / imagine are the same but they seem to treat each other as different companys) and they have €26 a month or whatever for 3meg down and 384 up. This has a 20gig usage cap with an optional 60gig for €2 more a month. This is perfect for me and I would sign up except that they have a charge for going over the cap.

I don't have a problem with being charged when I go over the cap. I don't have a problem with being throttled. I don't mind if my broadband stops working until the next month. What I don't like is that I could go away for the weekend and come back and someone in the house could have gone over the limit and I'd be getting charged 3c a meg or whatever for all the overage. I want to prevent the possibility of getting a whopping bill without warning. I'm not happy to simply be able to monitor my usage online as I may not do this if I go away.

So, I'm looking for a solution. Any thoughts?

Sorry .. rambling I know ..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

i do alot of downloading on 7.6mb from eircom, with 50 gig cap
    i am flat out downloading tv shows etc and get good speeds, i don't think Ive ever gone over, if i have they've never informed me,
    I'm fairly confident you wouldn't go over 60 gigs on a 3mb connection

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

You could go with Magnet........no download limit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Sorry for my lack of responses .. was away for a couple of days.

I am still looking.

Magnets website seems to confuse me more than anything else, will try give one of their reps a call tomorrow though and see what they have on offer.

Random wrote: »
    Sorry for my lack of responses .. was away for a couple of days.

I am still looking.

Magnets website seems to confuse me more than anything else, will try give one of their reps a call tomorrow though and see what they have on offer.

We have two big products....both very different..this sometimes causes confusion. Does anyone have anything that they want me to clear up about the products?

I'm interested in DSL only. I don't want line rental included, phone packages or any other nonsense.

Looking at the Magnet website (http://www.magnetentertainment.ie/pricing/index.htm) I see a package "Magnet Force 10". This appears to me up to 10meg DSL for €29.99 with no other charges. There appears to be no usage cap? I can't see any mention of contention? Static / dynamic IP? Minimum contract? It also seems to mention minutes and stuff. I don't want any of this.

Have I missed something blatently obvious?

• Advertisement

I'm interested in DSL only. I don't want line rental included, phone packages or any other nonsense.

Looking at the Magnet website (http://www.magnetentertainment.ie/pricing/index.htm) I see a package "Magnet Force 10". This appears to me up to 10meg DSL for €29.99 with no other charges. There appears to be no usage cap? I can't see any mention of contention? Static / dynamic IP? Minimum contract? It also seems to mention minutes and stuff. I don't want any of this.

Have I missed something blatently obvious?

All DSL packages have line rental, DSL services have to go through eircoms last mile of network. The €29 pack does not include line rental, it has a dynamic IP, it has a contention ratio of 1:1 and the minimum contract is 12 months.

You can take the free minutes if you like as they are free for 2 months and are offered on an opt out basis. The install is also free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Is Magnet available nationwide or just ADSL2+ LLU area's only

I have my telephone package and line rental with another provider. I do not wish to change this arrangement. I am currently looking for someone to manage the DSL on my line only. Hope this clears up what I ment about line rental.

How do these free minutes work if I don't have my phone package with Magnet?

What do you mean the install is free? Surely Magnet just send me username / password and that's it?

If another DSL provider has advised me the max speed of my line is 3meg then I'm assuming Magnet can't do anything about that?

Thanks for info.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Is Magnet available nationwide or just ADSL2+ LLU area's only

Its available in most of Dublin, Cork, Galway, Waterford, Limerick and Portlaoise for ADSL2+. It is also available in all other enabled exchanges for bitstreem (7.6mb).

I have my telephone package and line rental with another provider. I do not wish to change this arrangement. I am currently looking for someone to manage the DSL on my line only. Hope this clears up what I meant about line rental.

You would have to allow Magnet take over the phone line (you could still keep your number and it is very much the same service)
    How do these free minutes work if I don't have my phone package with Magnet?

Here I refer to the first question, but, even if you do go with the phone but don’t want the free minutes we will let you do this also.
    What do you mean the install is free? Surely Magnet just send me username / password and that's it?

No, we need to send you a new wireless switch (router) with an ATA for the phone signal. This can be sent to your work address to avoid any hassle.
    If another DSL provider has advised me the max speed of my line is 3meg then I'm assuming Magnet can't do anything about that?

Not necessarily, it depends on who the incumbent is. If the incumbent is supplying an ADSL basic service (Eircom or Eircom resellers [Perlico etc] the chances of Magnet getting more out of the line are very high. Couple this with lower contention and the chances of seeing a real difference in speed become very high.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

I was thinking of going for UPC. 10MBs for 32 euro unlimited download. Does anyone have experience with them? are they fine? its the best deal out there but I just need to find out if they are actually good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

I have my telephone package and line rental with another provider. I do not wish to change this arrangement. I am currently looking for someone to manage the DSL on my line only. .

I don't understand why you don't want to change your telephone provider - who is it with and what is so special about it ? You will be restricting your choices of broadband by doing this. :)

TheLoc wrote: »
    I was thinking of going for UPC. 10MBs for 32 euro unlimited download. Does anyone have experience with them? are they fine? its the best deal out there but I just need to find out if they are actually good.

It all depends on what your understanding of great deal is......contention, customer service and phone lines can be very important for a lot of customers so i would look into how UPC fare in these areas.

Reviews have been mixed in these areas so look for the most up to date info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Rorser wrote: »
    Its available in most of Dublin, Cork, Galway, Waterford, Limerick and Portlaoise for ADSL2+. It is also available in all other enabled exchanges for bitstreem (7.6mb).

Unlimited download on bitstream?
    Suppose this is subject to AUP or FUP

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Unlimited download on bitstream?
    Suppose this is subject to AUP or FUP

true.

Magnet are not an option for me. They can only offer me 3meg DSL for €40 / month. That's pretty much what I'm paying at the moment.

Magnet are not an option for me. They can only offer me 3meg DSL for €40 / month. That's pretty much what I'm paying at the moment.

How do you figure that? We don't sell a 3mb product?

Rorser wrote: »
    How do you figure that? We don't sell a 3mb product?
    I rang today at lunchtime and based on my exchange this is what they advised me was available. Max line speed of 3.4megs and the package they have on offer is a 3meg package for about 40 euro a month. The reason it's so expensive he said is because it's resold or something. Contention was 12:1, speed up was 256k, IP was dynamic.

I rang today at lunchtime and based on my exchange this is what they advised me was available. Max line speed of 3.4megs and the package they have on offer is a 3meg package for about 40 euro a month. The reason it's so expensive he said is because it's resold or something. Contention was 12:1, speed up was 256k, IP was dynamic.

Oh ok, got you....sorry but it seems you are not on an ADSL2+ exchange, we have services on 39 exchanges but unfortunatly that does not quite cover all of Dublin.

Yea thanks. I went for UPC anyway. I've heard that they are good. but Customer service aint. but in fairness, what companies are good at that? Eircom and BT were usless too and Sky (& bord gas)are the worst i've dealt with. 10 MB for 38euro is good. probably the best deal out at the moment. Its advertised as 32 euro but thats for people who have chorus cable. B$stards :). but still 38 is not bad. i've to pay 49.99 for someone to come out and install it. I don't know why they wont let me do it myself. Well I do actually, to make more money.

• Advertisement

Guess I'm back to square one then :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Have you tried Digiweb Metro?

Just got in contact with UPC and they can't supply broadband to my area. so thats out the window. So I tried eircom online. I was browsing and I said sure the 3mb package will do me for 30 quid a month. then when I click into it, it turns out that I have to a bundle package and pay for calls and stuff. even if I don't have a phone. so its gonna be 45-50 euro. disgrace. Why can't I just get the broadband on its own like they advertise?

Just got in contact with UPC and they can't supply broadband to my area. so thats out the window. So I tried eircom online. I was browsing and I said sure the 3mb package will do me for 30 quid a month. then when I click into it, it turns out that I have to a bundle package and pay for calls and stuff. even if I don't have a phone. so its gonna be 45-50 euro. disgrace. Why can't I just get the broadband on its own like they advertise?

Maybe im completely missing something here but where did you say you lived?

I live in Limerick city. a built up area. I don't know why they don't cover there. esspecially when there is a chorus call center about 5km down the road. I have a phone line but I don't want calls. all I want is broadband on its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Have the UPC 10meg and its brilliant, would recommend it to everyone. Customer service seems to be on the up as i rang today and they where very helpful.

I live in Limerick city. a built up area. I don't know why they don't cover there. esspecially when there is a chorus call center about 5km down the road. I have a phone line but I don't want calls. all I want is broadband on its own.

Magnet Would most likly be available in that area, so keep it in mind.

To be honest i'm always wary of dealing with small companies. they never appeal to me. I had BT for 3 years and have never even rang their customer service team. they were excellent. just a bit too pricey. UPC would have been the best deal if they could cover. its looking like eircom though. 49 euro for 3mb +free landline calls and free meteor calls including line rental. they've a new deal coming on monday apparently. i've been told to hold out for that by a mate. its meant to be pretty good. don't know what it is though.

barnicles wrote: »
    Have you tried Digiweb Metro?

I wanna stick with DSL for now. And Digiweb have a €49.95 setup fee which makes me look away from them right away. Otherwise their package doesn't attract me - download cap too low with no obvious way to increase it.

• Advertisement

To be honest i'm always wary of dealing with small companies. they never appeal to me. I had BT for 3 years and have never even rang their customer service team. they were excellent. just a bit too pricey. UPC would have been the best deal if they could cover. its looking like eircom though. 49 euro for 3mb +free landline calls and free meteor calls including line rental. they've a new deal coming on monday apparently. i've been told to hold out for that by a mate. its meant to be pretty good. don't know what it is though.

Be aware of small companies? Considering that the big companies have been singled out for huge criticism on this very site I think you should maybe review this opinion.

Advertisement