Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bataireacht

• 11-02-2009 10:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Does anyone know of anyone in Ireland practicing Bataireacht or any other forms of Irish martial arts at the moment?
    Thanks,
    Lisa

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

New thread started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Is this Irish Stick fighting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

I think its a troll, bataireacht , being a crude translation of " battering"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Maybe not a troll, I came across this site before.
    It may be what the OP is talking about.
    Bata is the Irish for stick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 clíomh

Hi, no i have not heard of anyone in Ireland practicing them but I know of it being practiced in Canada by Glen Doyle. I myself have written a book on the subject availible on Amazon called "Gaelic martial arts". Here are some useful sites on the subject
    http://psychjourney_blogs.typepad.com/irish_martial_arts/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_martial_arts

<no advertising please> - Mod

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Is this Irish Stick fighting?

hurling-3-1.jpg

A savage sport.

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Two first time posters, and an advertisement, my modding senses are tingling............alas, my powers are useless here.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 clíomh

It actually is. Hurling was originally a vicous stick fighting martial art (Hasn't changed much haha). The game was used to build up agility etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

dunkamania wrote: »
    Two first time posters, and an advertisement, my modding senses are tingling............alas, my powers are useless here.....

Indeed. I didn't see the advert last night. Removed now anyway.

All relevant muppetry checked and in order ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

To the best of my knowledge, most native MA in Ireland came from the days of faction fighting. Google Faction fighting and 'The Irish faction fighters of the 19th century / Patrick D. O'Donnell ' (out of print) for details. From memory, stick fighting emerged when French sword fighters were brought over to train potential insurgents against the English landlords. The faction fighting went on to the states, as glorified somewhat in the Gangs of New York.

How you'd define the difference between a martial art and gangs of fellas beating the living ****e out of each other with sticks is something else again. Most martial arts history is pretty dubious stuff, so if people want to call what they do 'Irish Stick Fighting' why not? Having the main man on the linked site calling himself 'Sifu' is a bit dodgy mind you. Maybe Muinteor or Brother would be more apt ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭scuttery1

William Sanders of Cimande silat is now teaching "Irish Stick fighting"
    http://www.cimande.com/blackthorn/intro.html
    And a short clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6YoalH1bhc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭silat liam

scuttery1 wrote: »
    William Sanders of Cimande silat is now teaching "Irish Stick fighting"
    http://www.cimande.com/blackthorn/intro.html
    And a short clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6YoalH1bhc

He's been learning this through a long distance dvd training programe, from a Ballymena guy call John Ramsey, who teaches his family style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

looks like light sabre stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

clíomh wrote: »
    It actually is. Hurling was originally a vicous stick fighting martial art (Hasn't changed much haha). The game was used to build up agility etc.

Battling the many hounds of Culann.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ArtyQueueing

silat liam wrote: »
    He's been learning this through a long distance dvd training programe, from a Ballymena guy call John Ramsey, who teaches his family style.

I know him and asked - he said he is taking nothing to do with it - does not like the way things are going and claims being made

I know him and asked - he said he is taking nothing to do with it - does not like the way things are going and claims being made

Yep I heard the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 hluhk2

no its not u idiot its irish for stick fighting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

hluhk2 wrote: »

Tá feidir leat Gaelige a labhairt, gan dabht?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Am I the only one who thinks the whole 'Irish stick fighting' thing has to be BS?

Don't get me wrong now, I have nothing but respect for traditional arts that include weapons, but 'Irish stick fighting' just smacks as something dreamed up to trick americans and sell DVDs.
    There very likely, at some stage in our history, was; some form of competition using staffs or at least a healthy appriciation for someone with the ability to give someone a good clatter with a stick, but whatever art there was is long lost.

I really wish there was a traditional Irish martial art but attempting to dream up develop techniques or even copying a few escrima moves revive traditional attacks just has the feel of a scam to me.

Peetrik wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks the whole 'Irish stick fighting' thing has to be BS?

Pretty much,

That said how can you even think that something like this is'nt a 100% authentic irish tradition :pac:

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »
    That said how can you even think that something like this is'nt a 100% authentic irish tradition :pac:

Hah I stand corrected so, its all obviously legit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

hluhk2 wrote: »

Tá feidir leat Gaelige a labhairt, gan dabht?
    Bhuel, is follasach nach féidir leatsa ar aon nós.

Anyways, bataireacht can mean a number of things depending on context. It does mean stick fighting.

This is one of the reason why we left this teacher, he took movements from silat, got hold of a shillileagh, and added some Irish dance to come up with this. At one stage he was teaching a drill that was 95% he taught before as Trumbu a Indonesian Staff drill. He told me the reason he was doing this was for the Irish American market, basicly a way to make some money out of people trying to create some longing for their homeland. Tbh I can't see how this works. Here is a good link which gives a overview of teachers of the Irish Stick.

http://shillelaghuniversity.wordpress.com/whos-who-in-irish-stick-fighting/

Gumbi wrote: »
    Bhuel, is follasach nach féidir leatsa ar aon nós.

Anyways, bataireacht can mean a number of things depending on context. It does mean stick fighting.

Baydur gu wil shay feeha bleen anish o mu layhinta skulla ock taw beugawneen gwaliga agum fous avick :p

I also have the cop on to know that anyone who claims to be teaching authentic 100 per cent hand embroidered bataireacht or whisky fighty stick dancing or whatever is having a bleedin laugh :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

Maith thú Ush, Gaeilgóir maith as Baile Áth Cliath:)! Rinne mé dearmaid ó Rince Uisce Bheata

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Baydur gu wil shay feeha bleen anish o mu layhinta skulla ock taw beugawneen gwaliga agum fous avick :p

I also have the cop on to know that anyone who claims to be teaching authentic 100 per cent hand embroidered bataireacht or whisky fighty stick dancing or whatever is having a bleedin laugh :pac:

Cad is brí leis sin? Breatnais is ea é, nach ea?

He is cleverly disguising his Irish so it can't be used with google translate by a non irish speaker... genius... or maybe, like myself, he can speak Irish but hasn't a notion how to spell in Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭KathleenMcCabe

Guro Jon O'Neill of Na Fianna Finn Combat Academy in Dublin teaches Bataireacht which stems from his family art. the website is currently under reconstruction so I have sent you a PM with his phone number.

Respects
    Kathleen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

teaches Bataireacht which stems from his family art.

makey up sh1te.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 An Cumannach

Guro Jon O'Neill of Na Fianna Finn Combat Academy in Dublin teaches Bataireacht which stems from his family art. the website is currently under reconstruction so I have sent you a PM with his phone number.

Respects
    Kathleen

Where do classes take place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭bobster453

Wow.. a traditional Irish Martial Art that has been kept so secret no one ever heard of it before DVDs YouTube and the Internet..now thats really classic..what a load of codswallop:)

Advertisement