Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Settings for PS3 to 1080i LCD TV?

• 12-02-2009 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

Hey guys, I'm hoping the Techno people around here can help me on this. My wife has just bought a PS3 for christmas & I spent a lot of yesterday setting it up with my 37" Samsung LCD. To my horror I only just discovered that the TV is a 1080i eventhough it was sold to me as a 1080p (b*stards!) - not much I can do about that now so I just have to live with it (anyway it seems the difference is highly debateable). I let the PS3 do the automatic setup & popped in a blu-ray of Sunshine (f*cking awesome film). Anyway, I wasn't overly happy with the picture so did a bit of interneting & changed a couple of settings - it's better but I still think it can be improved on. At the moment, what I'm running is this.....

Video: PS3 > HDMI Cable > TV HMDI Input
    Audio: PS3 > HDMI Cable > TV HMDI Input > TV Audio Output > Surround Sound

The settings I have changed in the PS3 are as follows... (taken from avsforums)
    XMB >>> Settings >>> Display Settings >>>
    Cross Color Reduction Filter = OFF
    RGB Full Range (HDMI) = LIMITED
    Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr Super-White (HDMI) = ON

XMB >>> Settings >>> Video Settings* >>>
    Cinema Conversion = AUTOMATIC
    DVD Wide Mode Display = LETTERBOX
    Upscale = NORMAL
    BD/DVD Video Output Format (HDMI) = AUTOMATIC
    BD 1080P 24Hz Output (HDMI) = AUTOMATIC
    BD/DVD Dynamic Range Control = OFF
    BD/DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI) = LINEAR PCM
    BD Audio Output Format (Optical Digital) = BITSTREAM

So can anyone tell me can I improve on this or have I done anything wrong?

cheers
    squire

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Did you ever calibrate the TV itself in the first place?

What issues are you having with the pic now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

squire23 wrote: »
    BD/DVD Video Output Format (HDMI) = AUTOMATIC
    BD/DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI) = LINEAR PCM
    BD Audio Output Format (Optical Digital) = BITSTREAM

When I set up these settings on my ps3, I'm pretty sure I got to a menu where I could select the formats that whatever device I connected the ps3 to could support. i.e. for video you should check 480ip, 576ip, 720p and 1080i and then it will automatically output whatever the disc you insert in to whichever suited output format. So a game will go out at 720p, a dvd at 576p (unless you set it to upscale) and a bd at 1080i.

Similar settings for audio but there are way more options to choose from.

On the above, I am obviously open to be corrected on the functionality of automatic, perhaps I have described manual, but I don't like the ps3 messing about with formats so I wanted my setup to show "garbage in garbage out" so to speak and allow my other components to do their individual tasks.

As Jev/N also says, there are a lot of settings for picture adjustment on most tv sets nowadays. Sometimes they improve one aspect of picture quality that will directly compromise another (generally perceived pixel response time delay) which may cause eg a softer "blurry" image or a harsh "grainy" image.

More information about your exact problem will help isolate which settings can be altered where. It is not a carte blanche this setting is the best one to use because all circumstances are different.
    L.

Advertisement