Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skycon '09 - 14th of February

Options
  • 12-02-2009 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭

{Got permission from sceptre to post this here too}

Hey,
    just thought I'd let ye know about a conference we (UL Comp Soc) are running this month. The info below pretty much sums up everything far better I could do it.

Skycon '09

Skynet, the UL computer society, would like to invite you to Skycon '09, a computer and technology conference that is taking place in the University of Limerick on Saturday February 14th.

The day promises to be filled with an interesting array of talks with Speakers including Randall Munroe, creator the webcomic xkcd , as well as people from different parts of computer and technology communities: Irish computer game enginer creator Havok, the FreeBSD operating system, Microsoft's XNA division, AIB's Enterprise Systems & Technology division, the Computer Science Faculty, the website Daft.ie, and many others.

Along with the talks on open source projects themselves, Skycon will be a opportunity to see how companies are successfully adopting and using Open Source Software, for example AIB will be talking on their experience of running Linux on over 9,000 desktops in the bank.

The conference will be held in the CSIS building from 10:00 - 18:30 and the cost is €5. The conference will be followed by dinner at the Kilmurry lodge which will cost €20 for those who are interested. Additional information can be found at http://www.skycon.skynet.ie/.

Hope to see you there.

P.S. Coincidently, Unix Epoch Time hits 1234567890 on Friday the 13th, the night before.
    P.S.S http://blag.xkcd.com/2009/02/11/ireland/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

P.S. Coincidently, Unix Epoch Time hits 1234567890 on Friday the 13th, the night before.

My, isn't that exciting!

"Unix time, or POSIX time, is a system for describing points in time, defined as the number of seconds elapsed since midnight Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) of January 1, 1970, not counting leap seconds. It is widely used not only on Unix-like operating systems but also in many other computing systems. It is neither a linear representation of time nor a true representation of UTC (though it is frequently mistaken for both) as the times it represents are UTC but it has no way of representing UTC leap seconds (e.g. 1998-12-31 23:59:60)."

Thank-you Wikipedia.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

The day promises to be filled with an interesting array of talks with Speakers including Randall Munroe, creator the webcomic xkcd , [/url].

Curses, why hadn't I heard of this sooner! Absolute curses.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

xkcd wrote:
    Since they rejected my original idea for a talk, which was based on John Cage’s 4′33″
    Dammit. That would have been really good. Intimately quiet. Or better still, a talk with accessories.

I'd love to know how that would have gone myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

This would have been really interesting. A lot of interesting topics there and the entrance fee is very reasonably priced. Hope it goes well for ye all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭unityofsaints

I pre-booked my 5 euro ticket to this last night using paypal like instructed and havn't received any kind of confirmation. Surely I need some sort of piece of paper to get in? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭McGetty

Same here! Paid but no e-mail or anything. Planning on just bringing the PayPal receipt if I don't hear anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

here we go here we go here we go.

4 alumni on the way down :)

i thought it was pretty awesome.

Randall was the highlight of course.

pld guys.

can ya throw the the url to the recording and any pics taken during the day whenever they are available.

• Advertisement

*bump*

A really quick search has returned null results for the recording of the event.

Do my really quick search skillz fail fo'real?

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

Nope, your search skills are fine. Maybe I'll go poke a few people.

kaimera wrote: »
    *bump*

A really quick search has returned null results for the recording of the event.

Do my really quick search skillz fail fo'real?

Your search skillz are weak boy.:p

All I got were a few lines in 2 blogs and these pics.

The Don wrote: »

I said recording..like video :)

Seen the pics

kaimera wrote: »
    I said recording..like video :)

Seen the pics

Sorry man. Maybe try mailing skycon?

The Don wrote: »

What the hell are good-looking girls doing at a nerdy event like Skycon?:eek:

Advertisement