Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Music Photographers - Some Advice & C&C Please.

• 12-02-2009 12:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, its just me on the scrounge for a wee bit of advice again....

I am working with a band at the moment called The Ads to help them with a kind of diary documenting them in the lead up to their slot supporting Snow Patrol (Zzzzz) at the end of the month. Me photographing, and a friend doing some video stuff.

Anyway, tonight was my first night in the studio with them and i have to admit i struggled a fair bit.
    Poor lighting led to me getting the flash out, which caused problems of its own.

The place was tiny, so the combination of the spots on the ceiling and my flash has led to some horrendous shadows etc. Even bouncing off the ceiling and walls led to these problems due to the fact the studio was tiny.

Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with this kind of issue?

Anyway heres the first few I processed tonight.

Fire away! :D

3273203718_c0ae2f51f8.jpg

3272380359_68c8081405.jpg

3272377949_9e30c18751.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

John - 3rd one for me - as regards bounce , I have a portable bouncer I put over the flash gun, looks a bit of a contraption , ask Janer !! - but it kills the direct light , but you have to push things abit with it , to get eneogh light - the contraption/diffuser was only 15 euros !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

#3 is head and shoulders above the rest of the set.
    #2 had potential but the conversion seems off....not sure why.
    Also get his elbow in!! People keep cropping of parts of bodies tonight!

Oh Barry's contraption I wouldn't be seen dead using :p, its like a flash in a wheelchair with plasterparis....er yeah.

I need to replace my diffuser which I lost, but not paying 30 euros again for a stoffen!! A basic cheap one will do, ideas anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

thebaz wrote: »
    John - 3rd one for me - as regards bounce , I have a portable bouncer I put over the flash gun, looks a bit of a contraption , ask Janer !! - but it kills the direct light , but you have to push things abit with it , to get eneogh light - the contraption/diffuser was only 15 euros !

Cheers Baz, I'll have a wee look for one before Friday see how it works out.

Much appreciated!

It's all another learning process for me as i have never really done any music stuff before.
    It's interesting trying to get the feel for the rehearsal, which was laid back to say the least, while at the same time trying to get some good "music" shots.

#3 is head and shoulders above the rest of the set.
    #2 had potential but the conversion seems off....not sure why.
    Also get his elbow in!! People keep cropping of parts of bodies tonight!

Oh Barry's contraption I wouldn't be seen dead using :p, its like a flash in a wheelchair with plasterparis....er yeah.

I need to replace my diffuser which I lost, but not paying 30 euros again for a stoffen!! A basic cheap one will do, ideas anyone?

Yeah, the elbow is bugging me on #2 aswell believe me!

I also see what you mean about the conversion, he seems a little grey down at the bottom..will need to see what i can do with it in the morn.

I definetly need to have a look for barry's "contraption" now though! :D

Eirebear wrote: »
    It's interesting trying to get the feel for the rehearsal, which was laid back to say the least, while at the same time trying to get some good "music" shots.
    I'm going on a mini tour with a band called Paranoid Visions to England next month and will be travelling in a van from Birmingham to London so I too will be trying to do a docu/music slant...really looking forward to it.

• Advertisement

I'm going on a mini tour with a band called Paranoid Visions to England next month and will be travelling in a van from Birmingham to London so I too will be trying to do a docu/music slant...really looking forward to it.

Sounds like a blast! And judging by the shots you posted of them before you may need the images to piece together your memories!:p

Eirebear wrote: »
    Sounds like a blast! And judging by the shots you posted of them before you may need the images to piece together your memories!:p
    They're playing in Birmingham on a Saturday night and the plane leaves Dublin at 6.15pm! I said to the guitarist whose job is organising the trip that isn't that cutting it fine, he said yeah but the only other flight was 6.30am or something and in no way can the band be trusted to last a day boozing that length of time b4 a very big gig for them...I'd have to agree!
    so we're starting at 4 in the airport!

They're playing in Birmingham on a Saturday night and the plane leaves Dublin at 6.15pm! I said to the guitarist whose job is organising the trip that isn't that cutting it fine, he said yeah but the only other flight was 6.30am or something and in no way can the band be trusted to last a day boozing that length of time b4 a very big gig for them...I'd have to agree!
    so we're starting at 4 in the airport!

You'll never make it as far as London! :D

My mates band went on tour a few years ago, it was supposed to be their "big break"
    Unfortunately the tour was sponsored by Jagermeister and they where supplied with 18 free bottles for the duration of the 12 date tour.

They got through it, but by the time they hit Brighton (second to last date) erything went to hell and ended up with two of them scouring the streets for the drummer, only to find him having bypassed security and was standing on top of a 20ft embankment flinging stones at stationary trains and howling like a lunatic......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Keep a diary a la Henry Rollins Get in the Van.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

sounds cool - I'm jealous :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Well, if you're hanging around with them, you're in a much more comfortable position than just popping along on a once off.

Try getting in closer, try using your flash off camera - f/11, bulb and 400 iso, hold your finger down and pop the flash, see what happens!

If you're in the type of spot like you were above, explain to the band.

I think the second one above has the most potential, It would have been great if you got yer man a bit more relaxed up against the poster, even slumped in the corner looking up at you.

Tours are great craic. Some of my best nights on the tear have been with my mates bands, I think New Years Eve this year was the best though... :pac:

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Well, if you're hanging around with them, you're in a much more comfortable position than just popping along on a once off.

Try getting in closer, try using your flash off camera - f/11, bulb and 400 iso, hold your finger down and pop the flash, see what happens!

If you're in the type of spot like you were above, explain to the band.

I think the second one above has the most potential, It would have been great if you got yer man a bit more relaxed up against the poster, even slumped in the corner looking up at you.

Tours are great craic. Some of my best nights on the tear have been with my mates bands, I think New Years Eve this year was the best though... :pac:

Cheers dude, ill give it a whack over the coming weeks/days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

The latter gigs on this set are all from using that flash setup...

I think...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

if you're going to be doing lots of photos in that room, get a cheap lamp and stick it in a corner, most recording studios i've shot have been really dark foir atmosphere so i've often added a little more light to massively improve the quality of pictures

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

personally i'd push for a bit more colour, black and white, as nice as it is, cant beat a nice puchy colour image, and when promoting i think attention grabbing images is better...

remote flash bounching back wall of subject very weakly should sort shadows

A few more from the bands latest rehearsal session, different setting this time which brought about its own set of challenges.
    They are beggining to seem a bit more comfortable now with the camera...as i am with them so hopefully the weekend will produce the shots im really aiming for.
    Any signs of improvement?

All C&C as ever welcome.

3294266710_7d9a67f07c.jpg

3294269120_39c8e9de65.jpg

3294265190_d01f60cb0b.jpg

And this one, which is bugging me....does it work at all...in any way?
    I kinda like it...but don't....help! :confused:

3293433487_6701c32bb0.jpg

#1 is really wierd, it's like 2 seperate PP on the 2 diff people, the girl is an excellent sepia type and the guy is in colour? :confused:
    Would like to see the guy in sepia too. :P
    Def my fav pic of the set.

#2 Guy is very narrow, not enough crop, he also doesn't seem relaxed so....

#3 The females will think I'm been a pig but er somehow between her face and gender she seems out of place, not a real looking shot so to speak.

#4 I see what you were trying o do but it doesn't work for me...if it helps I've tried this kinda shot a few times and failed too. :o

I'd change the band for a more relaxing band as they're making you look bad. :D
    Naa seriously it will get better!

#1 is really wierd, it's like 2 seperate PP on the 2 diff people, the girl is an excellent sepia type and the guy is in colour? :confused:
    Would like to see the guy in sepia too. :P
    Def my fav pic of the set.

#2 Guy is very narrow, not enough crop, he also doesn't seem relaxed so....

#3 The females will think I'm been a pig but er somehow between her face and gender she seems out of place, not a real looking shot so to speak.

#4 I see what you were trying o do but it doesn't work for me...if it helps I've tried this kinda shot a few times and failed too. :o

I'd change the band for a more relaxing band as they're making you look bad. :D
    Naa seriously it will get better!

Cheers AR.

Personally i think there is a bit of improvement in there, but your right they aint the best images in the world...but you gotta start somewhere right?

As for the chick drummer....she's impossible to get a decent shot of while playing, she's new to the band and extremely uncomfortable it seems.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

the pop up flash didnt quite reach the lass thus shes underexposed but her skin tones are from ambient light not the flash.

no.2 is quite nice, your going very very dark with all these? is there reasoning behind this?

no.3, not too keen on the viggetting tbh, funny enough pose... dunno what to use it for but a nice image.

no.3, now this is an interesting approach to take, if you did a series of all the members like this, it could be interesting, maybe a bit more light to bring out more shadow?

the pop up flash didnt quite reach the lass thus shes underexposed but her skin tones are from ambient light not the flash.

no.2 is quite nice, your going very very dark with all these? is there reasoning behind this?

no.3, not too keen on the viggetting tbh, funny enough pose... dunno what to use it for but a nice image.

no.3, now this is an interesting approach to take, if you did a series of all the members like this, it could be interesting, maybe a bit more light to bring out more shadow?

Thanks again!.

T'wasnt pop up flash though, i was trying to use it off camera and to my right.
    I think the goddam energy saving bulb above her head was causing clashes and shadows (See the last image) this coupled with the fact i wanted to make the singer stand out has probably caused the effect AR sees.

As for going dark with them, it seems to be a look i naturally go for when shooting people in these kind of scenes, i don't sit down with the intention of doing it but it seems to be what i end up with....
    Do you see it as a negative?

#3 was just a bit of fun really, she is extremely camera shy so it made me laugh!
    The images are planned for the bands myspace/website etc.
    basically as an illustration of their "diary" leading up to their big gig next week.

As for #4 i still can't make my mind up, but you've given me an idea for tonight thanks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement