Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Camera Repairs

• 12-02-2009 1:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    Last year I damaged the shutter button on my Fuji film S5800 camera.
    Was wodering if somebody could tell me where to go to go about getting it repaired? Anywhere around Dublin/Meath preferably.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Alan Mc Donnell
    Camera Repair Centre
    147 Harmonstown Road,
    Artane,
    Dublin 5.
    Ph: 087-1350345
    E-Mail alan147@eircom.net

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

cheers borderfox will call him tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Being a Fuji would you not send it to, well eh... Fuji? Is it still in guarantee?

FUJIFILM Ireland Ltd.
    78 Lagan Road
    Dublin Industrial Estate
    Dublin 11
    Ireland

Phone : 01 882 0200

Didn't know fuji were here in Ireland. Thanks for that info though very helpful mate. No sadly the warranty won't cover it afaik because the damage was self inflicted. I damaged it myself by carrying it one day out side its case in a coat pocket.

I shall call em on monday morn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

Borderfox wrote: »
    Alan Mc Donnell
    Camera Repair Centre
    147 Harmonstown Road,
    Artane,
    Dublin 5.

These Guys, they are a duo, Declan being the other are top class at all kind of repairs .. just don't be in a rush.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Annabelw5

I recently sent my Nikon digital camera into these guys for repair. It had taken a slight fall while the lense was out, so the lense roller jammed. It was collected from my work place by someone Declan and I think Alan was the one repairing it. It took them a week to get back to me to tell me that it needed a new part, which was quite expensive. So it would not be cost effective for them to repair it. It then took another week for them to deliver it back to me only for me to find they had cause even more damage to the camera. There was GLUE all over the display screen and scratches all around the camera (including the screen) where they obviously tried to remove the glue. I had intended to send it to the SLR Offical Nikon service centre in Co. Meath, but now I feel its really pointless as they have caused so much damage to it. I am really annoyed about it and regret sending it to them. Does anyone have any advice on what I should do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

That's bad - have you rang them and talked with them about it to see if they are of a mind to offer some sort of recompense for the additional damage? I'm sure if they are professional about it, they will be of a mind to resolve the issue.

to be honest I didnt send to those guys as it seemed a little far fetched. I was speaking to both lads and didn't feel comfortable sending my cam to two different addresses. Also a quick google of their number turned up another part of dublin for a similar service. I used to work in camera exchange in Dublin. Might ring the manager because right now fuji want 170 fixed charge!

All thats wrong with my cam is the shutter button and zoom on the cam are jammed.

That's seems to be what's wrong with mine. The problem is that the parts are very expensive. If you know the camera exchange and know that they are good, then you might be lucky. Otherwise, i think going to the authorised service centres is a safer bet. Good luck with it.

I went with the other guys as i had read good reports from them on here and they are the cheaper option - something i regret now! Hopefully they will be professional enough to do something to fix my camera, but even if they manage to get the glue off, it is still going to leave damage.. there are already srcatches where they seem to have tried to scrape the glue off. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Jack de Baptise

Have you emailed the guy and asked the questions you posted. You say you sent camera so you must now who you were dealing with. I find this very odd.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

I am very surprised at this as these guys have the best reputation in town. I just dropped in something for service with Declan and he had cameras from everyone from Pros to amateurs around. I have used them for over 3 years about 7 times and had no issues.

They CLA'd a Minolta Autocord TLR I had wind on issues with, missed shots , overlapping negs, after a few films it acted up again, took it back then they told me they warranty all work for 12 months. I had it re-serviced for free. and advice about how to best fire the shutter from Alan. Turns out it was me being gentle was the issue but they fixed it second time for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Babe Biker

Bring the camera to Ron at Camera Care corner Dame Street and Georges Street. I think he is an agent for Nikon. Fixed my Nikon similar problem to yours for 40 euro..Worth a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

I got a canon 300mm f4 repaired from Camera Repair Center, Decaln meet me otuside my job, took about a week to get quote for fixing the lens and cleaning all the elements inside, the total came in at 140euro for new USM motor and labour costs, got it back a week later after giving the go ahead to fix it...if I had sent it too canon they charge 180euro straight off for just looking at the lens, add labour costs and parts I'm sure the bill would have been in the 400euro range, anyways I would definitly use the guys again, good job and saved me a small fortune...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 trjh

I'm not sure what to say about the bad report above, but Alan has done great work on the Hasselblad 500c/m and assorted accessories I've procured from eBay over the latest year or so. While his turnaround times mightn't always be the best, his work is top notch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭zdooldreb

I have sent my Nikon D40 to here

SLR Service Centre
    Rathmolyon
    Co Meath
    Eire
    Tel (Eire) 04695 57151
    Tel (From UK) 00353 4695 57151

not sure if they only fix Nikons but it might be worth giving them a shout.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Borderfox wrote: »
    Alan Mc Donnell
    Camera Repair Centre
    147 Harmonstown Road,
    Artane,
    Dublin 5.

This guy, is without doubt, the greatest muppet I have ever had the misfortune to come across in my entire life.

I'm not going to go into all the details but I dropped in a camera for repair three weeks ago. He told me he would have a look at it and either text me or call me in a day or two to let me know what the diagnosis was.

That was the last contact I had from him until today. I rang him at least twice every day. Not once did he answer the phone. I used different mobiles in case it was my number he was avoiding. Still he didn't bother answering his phone.
    I left numerous messages for him to call me. Not once did I get a return call. I texted him on numerous occasions but not once did I get a reply from him. At this stage I presumed he was dead and was wondering should I attend the funeral but it turns out he wasn't dead at all.
    I called his sidekick Declan on numerous occasions. He promised me that he would get Alan to call me. Not once did he call me.

Eventually I had to sit outside his house for over an hour until he came home today. Then after an hour he pulls up in his car outside his house, alive and well thank god. When I approached him and asked him wtf was going on he acted like this was normal. He didn't get a chance to call me he said. For three weeks! Seriously, what a clown?? It takes two seconds to send a text or answer your phone.

He then brought out the camera to me and started to show me what was wrong with it and showed me a mirror box assembly that he had in his other hand. Thank god says I, he has it fixed at least.

But NO, wait a second, the mirror box assembly he has in his hand is not actually out of my camera but another one he has that was damaged.

So is my camera fixed, says I? No, says he. Have you even looked at it, says I? No, I am doing exams this week, says he.

It took all my power not to knock his teeth back his throat so I brought my camera home with me. I'm now back to square one again only three weeks further down the line with a useless camera.

You'd really want to take a step back and have a chat with yourself before you give this lad anything belong to you.

I should have gone to ISS in the first place.

Ballyman - I can totally understand your frustration!

It is almost 3 months since I sent my camera to "Camera Repair Services" and I STILL don't have my camera back. After sending my camera to SLR Services (authorised Nikon service centre) for repair, they said that there was more damage and scratches on the camera where it had been opened up and "tampered" with. So this damage along with the damage to the LCD display screen where Alan spilled the solution would cost €175 to repair. I tried to call Alan to discuss this with him, but it was virtually impossible to contact him; he never answered or returned any of my calls. So I sent him a letter on 1st July, explaining the situation and telling him that I would be taking the matter to the small claims court if I did not have a response. He called me later that day (but apparently he never received my letter!!!!!! Find that hard to believe, considering I registered it!).

After a long conversation, Alan decided it was more cost effective to buy a replacement camera of the same model. He claimed that he could order a new one of the same spec from the USA for approx €100. Personally, I found this hard to believe, as I know it cost over €250 when it was bought here less than a year ago. Anyway, I agreed to this as it seemed the only option as far as he was concerned, even though I would have preferred to have my own camera back in good working condition, for sentimental reasons. He offered to send me a loan camera in the meantime until my own one was back. I was happy enough with this as I thought it couldn’t take any more than 2-3 weeks for the camera to arrive. Wrong!!!!

I had this conversation with him on the 1st week of July. It’s now the 3rd week in August and I have not heard a word from him since then! I have tried calling him and texting him several times – no response. I was going away on holidays at the end of July and wanted a camera, so I tried contacting him again to organise the replacement camera, if my own wasn't ready. No answer from Alan. Eventually i got a call from his sidekick Declan to say that he would deliver a loan camera to my workplace - which he did do.

Since I returned from holiday, I have tried calling Alan numerous times, with my calls being ignored. I also tried calling from different numbers, but I think he's wise to this. I called Declan earlier today to explain the situation. Declan informed me that it was nothing to do with him and that he wanted his camera back and wanted to come and collect it from me tomorrow at my workplace. I said that there no way I was giving this camera back until i got my own one back. Declan's responded to this by shouting at me, saying that this was his own personal camera and that he that he would get a contact solicitor and my employer (he knows where I work!) if he did not get his camera tomorrow!!!!!!!!!! Declan declared again that the issue was between Alan and me and that it is nothing to do with him. He said that they work completely independently of each other.

So I can’t understand then, why it was Declan that collected and returned my (even more damaged) camera. It is both Declan’s and Alan’s numbers that are on the website… yet they have nothing to do with each other. Something amiss there!!!!!!!!!!

This is getting a bit more worrying every day!

Now I could go on and on with other examples of the APPALLING customer service I have received with these coyboys, but I think you might get the picture. I don't know how i have been so patient with them until now but at this stage I'm so sick of all the hassle and I just want my camera back.

Seems like the small claims court is my only next option. More hassle I could do without, but if that's what it takes!

To anyone who is even considering using Alan or Declan – take my advice and STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Unless you like chasing your tail and banging you head against a brick wall! I've never dealt with more unprofessional cowboy's in my life!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I got a camera fixed through Camera Care on Dame St. It wasn't particularly fast, nor was there all that regular communication, nor was it always easy to get through to them on the phone.

However, the work done was done well, and I would go back to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 efk1

I would like to agree with all the people who have posted about these guys "STAY AWAY"

It is unbelieveable that they are getting away with treating so many people like this ? What to do ?

I left TWO cameras with Alan back in August. (Luckily I didnt accept his offer of coming to collect my cameras, I would be v.uncomfortable now if he knew where I lived!). Have been ringing him a few times a week but no answer. His phone doesnt go to voicemail but I've been adding the '5' before his number so that it goes straight to voicemail. Have left numerous voicemails. No answer. Have spoken to Declan too who says, nothing to do with him.
    Really don't like the idea of calling to his house but I guess thats what I have to do. Raging I didnt take the advice on here originally. :-( Like the previous poster, just want my cameras back now. Never dealt with such a service before.

efk.

Advertisement