Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vibrating sound inside dining room wall

Options
  • 12-02-2009 4:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

this is an old house. i believe the pipes behind the wall are vibrating. there is a gas line and a water line. does anyone know how to fix this? i turned on the faucet and the sound did not stop.

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Johnnyr

Sounds like it could be water hammer. This happens when a valve closes, and the force of the flowing water is transfered into the pipes causing them to vibrate. I had this problem in my attic, where the mains water went into the water storage tank. When the ball valve closed the feed pipe started to vibrate. I solved the problem by securing the pipe with extra clips. Water hammer only happens where the water is not flowing. So if it only happens when water is not flowing, then check the piping for the kitchen sink, dish washer or washing machine. The may be just left on the surface behind kitchen units, or losely attached to wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

if you cant secure pipes get a good plumber to fit or make a air abosber it takes the hammer effect of the water and uses a cushion of air to act like a shock absorber

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

How old is the house ? Do you have central heating ? Could it be vibration from the water circulating pump ? Sometimes this can be quite bad. If you think that it may be this, try turning off the heating - see if the noise stops.
    Jim.

Advertisement