Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overseas access to Irish IP address

Options
  • 12-02-2009 7:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

The Rant
    I have BT broadband, and I have an RTE TV licence, but because I was outside of Ireland yesterday, I could not access the coverage of the Ireland match on RTE.ie. That's just tits!

The Question
    Seeing as I am a subscriber to BT Ireland, and sometimes have to fly the nest for a bit (as one has to, to make bread these days), is there not some
    way that I can remotely connect to my ISP and avail of the RTE access

The Answer?
    Do I need to set up VPN in windows (running Vista)?
    Could BT Ireland give me whatever info I would need to connect?

I am hoping one of you clever sods will say "it's simple, just..........."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Ya didnt miss much bud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 oochie

Im in a similar situation to you conorb56. One of the solutions is, like you said to setup a VPN connection to your home broadband connection and access the RTE site when connected to it. I have tried this with my own connection but found that the speed wasnt good enough for a live stream. Im in the US at the moment though, so if you're closer to Ireland you might have more luck.

Im looking into setting up a dedicated VPN server to solve my problem in the meantime

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

One easy way of doing this is to install an Openssh server on your windows machine. Forward a port to it in your firewall and only use key based authentication. Then you can use a client like Putty to connect to the server and use it as a SOCKS proxy.

http://www.virtualroadside.com/blog/index.php/2007/04/12/dynamic-socks-proxy-using-putty/

Your local video client will need to support a SOCKS proxy.

An alternative is to use the Windows VPN stuff, but I ain't used that for a good while, so don't know how it's setup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

I still can't get an Irish IP address but do have a UK one and i'm Living in the Netherlands ;)

For your solution you could use OpenVPN, I have it setup on my Linksys WRT54G with a custom firmware (Tomato+OpenVPN)

I can enable the VPN client on the router and my home wired and wireless network then terminates at a server in London so I can use Channel4 OD and iPlayer etc.

The option that would benefit you is the Server part, while away I can connect to my openvpn server and my laptop gets an IP address in my home network, so I can see my iTunes shares, media shares etc.

The great thing about the router running this is it doesnt require a PC To be on the whole time, I can leave my Mac asleep and get the router to send a Wake on LAN packet when i want to use it.

Have a look here:
    http://www.linksysinfo.org/forums/showthread.php?t=53233

I used firmware
    TomatoMod 1.19.1464 - Binary
    The instructions in post 3 are for a Client (Your laptop while away) --> Server VPN setup (Your network at home)

The added bonus is that if your on a Wireless network while away, all your traffic is over an encrypted tunnel. Only downside in your case would be your uplink is probably only 1mbit so you'll only ever get 70-80kb/sec connecting into your home network.

My next project is to get routing working properly just for the XBOX so I can get the BBC iPlayer script for XBMC to work ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 conorb56

Thanks for all the feedback folks, obviously for a mere mortal like myself this is definitely no click and run.

Will follow up on the links and try to educate myself in the meantime.

Contacted BT, while they did say it's technically possible, they don't offer support on it, so will have to go with trial and error from here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

conorb56 wrote: »
    The Rant
    I have BT broadband, and I have an RTE TV licence, but because I was outside of Ireland yesterday, I could not access the coverage of the Ireland match on RTE.ie. That's just tits!

RTE don't have a license to broadcast outside Ireland - that's why you can't access it over the web when you have a foreign IP address. That you have a TV license is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 conorb56

Yes you are absolutely correct.

I was merely trying to gain access on ethical grounds, don't have the privalege or pleasure of using the licence while abroad.

Advertisement