Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking The Magician's Code

• 12-02-2009 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭

Lads,
    Has anyone seen his show. It came out i think 1st in the late 90's basically a magician shows how all the tricks are done.I think it was on Sky orginally.
    I think re-run is on ITV 4 now.

My question is :
    Is this available on DVD?
    Please advise.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I found some info on it using "Google" (a very handy site).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breaking_the_Magician%27s_Code

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    Lads,
    Has anyone seen his show. It came out i think 1st in the late 90's basically a magician shows how all the tricks are done.I think it was on Sky orginally.
    I think re-run is on ITV 4 now.

My question is :
    Is this available on DVD?
    Please advise.

The full title of the show was
    "Breaking the Magician's Code: Magic's Biggest Secrets Finally Revealed"

It was one of Val Valentino's (aka the masked magician) shows. As far as I know it is not available on DVD, the production website can be found here.

That brings us to the following. As either magicians, or lay people who might happen to browse this forum, what is your opinion on prime time exposure? Do you think it is good or bad for magic, or for whatever reason? Why?

Once a few others have commented, I will add my own opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,239 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Not really sure about that show. On one hand it genuinely gets people interested in magic. The first trick I ever tried on someone was one i learned watching the street magic version.
    On the other hand it's ruined stuff like the Balducci levitation.
    Also it's one of those terrible FOX type shows and that kinda bugs me.

Personally I'd love a show that actually teaches magic rather than exposes.
    There's a kids show (sorcerer's apprentice I think) that kinda does this.

King Mob wrote: »
    Personally I'd love a show that actually teaches magic rather than exposes.
    There's a kids show (sorcerer's apprentice I think) that kinda does this.

We have proper learning materials to teach people magic. Plenty of books and DVDs available for that.

The show that you are refering to was hosted by the brilliant Max Sommerset. The point of the show was not to teach the viewer magic, but to teach the kids on the show magic. At no time was the audience intentionally shown how to do the tricks, but some of them were obvious enough due to the kids messing up. During the current season though alot of that will be edited out because Max wants to avoid the exposure.

oeb wrote: »
    We have proper learning materials to teach people magic. Plenty of books and DVDs available for that.
    True, but I think a TV show that actually focused on teaching tricks would generate a lot of interest.
    Or maybe a section of a magic programme devoted to it
    The show that you are refering to was hosted by the brilliant Max Sommerset. The point of the show was not to teach the viewer magic, but to teach the kids on the show magic. At no time was the audience intentionally shown how to do the tricks, but some of them were obvious enough due to the kids messing up. During the current season though alot of that will be edited out because Max wants to avoid the exposure.
    That's the one. Hadn't seen that actual show, only the ads. Got the impression they'd be showing how some of the tricks were done.

He's the guy who did Max Magic on Sky One as well right?

• Advertisement

He's the guy who did Max Magic on Sky One as well right?

Yup

Yup

Loved that show.

Can't find no youtube clips or anything though.

Loved that show.

Can't find no youtube clips or anything though.

It's probably still under licence by sky. Alot of production companies are pretty quick to get anything that violates their copywrite removed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

The best thing about the Mask Magician show was the helpers were all seriously hot.
    But after seeing the Balducci levitation and then a few weeks later David Blaine did it on his show and you just had to laugh. Cutting different scenes in while he was suspended by wires!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

The masked magician actually has a new series in America. Saw the first episode where he changed one car into another. Same old style and everything just without Mitch Pileggi.

Had the WWE Divas though ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

No Mitch Pileggi ?
    Not interested :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Kersh

Layperson here :D:D

I love watching all the youtube vids, David Copperfield, links in this forum etc etc, and I love the shows. Love the illusions, and would never dream of trying to find out how its done. I like not knowing, I suppose its the child in me wanting to believe that its happening.

Probably cos when I was young we watched all the Copperfield shows (no satellite TV then :pac: )... and I want it to stay that way.

Advertisement