Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TRS question re:marriage

Options
  • 12-02-2009 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭

I changed mortgage in july 07 and have recently discovered I haven't been receiving my TRS. I wish to claim this now but having been married in june 08 I am asked to enter my wife's details on the form. I rang the tax office and they told me that by marrying me and being entered on the TRS1P form she effectively loses the right to be a first time buyer in the future. Should I just leave her from the form or is it legally required to declare it to the revenue?
    thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

sweetie wrote: »
    I changed mortgage in july 07 and have recently discovered I haven't been receiving my TRS. I wish to claim this now but having been married in june 08 I am asked to enter my wife's details on the form. I rang the tax office and they told me that by marrying me and being entered on the TRS1P form she effectively loses the right to be a first time buyer in the future. Should I just leave her from the form or is it legally required to declare it to the revenue?
    thanks in advance

AFAIK (and I stand corrected on this), if you get divorsed the person who doesn't get the family home is allowed to become a first time buyer again. I would think that it wouldn't become an issue unless there was a marital breakdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm not sure if the person who "doesn't get the house" can be a first-time buyer, but what they're referring to is when you get married, it's no longer possible for one part of the couple to buy a house as a first-time buyer, if the other has previously purchased.

That is, if you decided when you next moved to put your wife's name on the deed in order to claim FTB allowances, you wouldn't get it because you are considered as a single entity.

If you get divorced, afaik the wife will get her FTB status back provided that you didn't buy a house in the interim. If you enter her on the TRS form, she won't be able to claim TRS at the FTB rate in the event that you do get divorced.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

thanks guys. obviously not wanting to seperate (yet!) but is it possible to say I'm not married and fill out the form for myself like I could have done in july 07 when I changed my mortgage. I don't know why the bank didn't arrange this like when I got my first mortgage in 03 and I only noticed I wasn't receiving the TRS late last year.

Advertisement