Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Content filtering firewall for small business

Options
  • 12-02-2009 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of a good content filtering firewall for small business? I'm looking for something that does the following
    • Time Scheduling of internet access
    • Blocks websites by category, with automatic updates of new sites to be blocked.

Something like D-Link DSD-150 but that you can get in Europe and subscribe to the updated in Europe.

Any thoughts?

cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

small sonicwall should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

Thanks, I had not seen them, the CSM 2200 looks interesting, pricey but interesting. Would these units be suitable for sitting under someone's desk or are they meant to be mounted in a noisy data center?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

whizzbang wrote: »
    Thanks, I had not seen them, the CSM 2200 looks interesting, pricey but interesting. Would these units be suitable for sitting under someone's desk or are they meant to be mounted in a noisy data center?

Well from a noise point of view the vast majority of sonicwalls are very quiet.

Ideally it would be in a server room or whatever but I've had them in many small offices with no issues.

Ah ok thanks, so long as they are not blasted out of it!

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Depending on how small the business is, you might get away with an old PC with smoothwall or IPCop or similar installed on it. Downside is that timed and categorized blocking is probably community-supported, and might take extra mucking around to get working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

On IpCop, the addon for filtering is called DandGuardian, and it's good, very good. IpCop can add on extra utilities at the click of a button.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭johnmd

Zyxel 662 HW61 about €200 less on ebay :-) with content filtering subscription add on,another €70 per year,
    cheap and nasty but effective.
    Quiet as a mouse.

Excellent, thanks for the options!

Advertisement