Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderation of this board.

Options
  • 12-02-2009 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭

I totally respect the dedication shown by the Moderators however please can they try & be inpartial when making decisions such as locking threads. It may well be that others disagree with their opinions & they may feel the need to have "the last word".

Perhaps, where possible, a Moderator should get someone else to moderate a topic where they may have a vested interest. This might help in ensuring that all opinions are heard which is why we are all here. I trust that the Mods will view this as a suggestion rather than a crticism & I would add that should apply to all boards.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I take it you're referring to the "Chimp" thread and I have to say I agreed with the Closing of it as it was just caught in a loop going nowhere. It was so divided ,and nobody was bringing anything new to the discussion, that I know I felt I should stay out of it. There has to come a time when the Mods close such threads as they are adding nothing whatsoever to the Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Take it to Feedback if you have a problem with it!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Exactly take it to feedback if you dont like it.

The thread was going around in circles and when it eventually got down to a serious discussion someone else comes along says "Its definately Illegal" and then the whole thread went back to the very beginning.This happened numerous times in the thread and thats why it was locked.

My suggestion is if something like that happens again is to make a new thread as a "side thread" relating to an aspect of the thread that was locked but not the same thread.
    For example with the chimp thread it would have been easy to start a thread discussing the keeping of primates without the need for the question of legality.

As for individual modding of topics--Thats not going to happen.It would mean giving each individual "temp mod" access to the boards controls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

Hellrazer Exactly take it to feedback if you dont like it.

Agreed. I started the "chimp" thread and have no problem with the moderation. If i did there is a complaints procedure and feedback section.

Having said that (and this is not about moderation) the chimp thread became about a few different things

1. The legality and morality of keeping great apes
    2. The keeping of exotic pets (including small monkeys)
    3. PETA
    4. The balance between the rights of pet owners and those who want to check up on animal welfare
    5. DEFINITELY SHOUTING about things people were not definite about. :D

1. was the topic of the thread but was only occasionally dealt with. This is not the moderators fault, if people want to drag a conversation away it is a bit much to expect them to herd it in the right direction. A moderator gives up their time for the great wealth and esteem with the opposite sex moderating gives them. If they manage to keep thread civil they have done a lot. Other then that I think posters have the responsibility to read a thread before shouting on it and to split off another thread if a tangental issue starts to take over. Just my 1/50th of a euro.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

cavedave wrote: »
    1. The legality and morality of keeping great apes
    2. The keeping of exotic pets (including small monkeys)
    3. PETA
    4. The balance between the rights of pet owners and those who want to check up on animal welfare

Theres 4 spin off threads right there.
    Thanks Cavedave.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

It is very, very good to see a well-moderated Board.

This is one of the very few on Boards ie that is - and one of the very few we use thus.

THANK YOU!

Thanks Sorella,
    Its nice to hear that for a change.We`re used to hearing people giving out about the way we moderate and to get a compliment once in a while makes it all worthwhile.

I do think the change in the rules a few weeks back has made a big difference since now peeps know exactly what is and what isnt allowed.

Thanks again from myself and Bond.

Advertisement