Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SR...Gone.

Options
  • 12-02-2009 11:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

1100 let go this morning at the former Team Aer Lingus aircraft maintenance facility at Dublin Airport bring the average national redundancies to over 320 a day. Not Good. :mad:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0212/srtechnics.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

An absolute disgrace of the highest order. Aer Lingus giving their business elsewhere for maintenance appears to have been the final nail in their coffin. You can't tell me the Govt didnt have some sway in 'persuading' Mannion & Co. to keep the business local instead of going offshore.

For shame on this government, do the decent thing lads and step down now as I amn't seeing any remedial action or even a semblance of forward planning.

Ireland is a sinking ship and Cowen and co dont even appear to know where the buckets are to bail out the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

It is remarkably bad news for North Dublin alright. With many smaller companies having had the custom of SR in the past few decades the job losses will be a lot higher than the 1,100 announced. Scary times!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Sizzler wrote: »
    An absolute disgrace of the highest order. Aer Lingus giving their business elsewhere for maintenance appears to have been the final nail in their coffin. You can't tell me the Govt didnt have some sway in 'persuading' Mannion & Co. to keep the business local instead of going offshore.

I am sorry for those whose jobs are lost.

But it is absurd to suggest that Aer Lingus should go anywhere other than where they get the best value for money. And it is preposterous to suggest that the government conspired to persuade Aer Lingus to take their business elsewhere.

This is the operation of free markets and competition. Aer Lingus has to compete with Ryanair and other carriers, and has to manage its costs ruthlessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

This news may also spur an interest in the period surrounding the formation of the then TEAM Aer Lingus and it`s very troubled gestation.

The involvement of local political dynastic grandees such as Mssrs Haughey and Burke played no small part in the setting up and progression of TEAM in the face of serious opposition from the original Aer Lingus Maintenance and Engineering operation.

There exists to this day substantial numbers of highly skilled ex M&E staff who will now be able to say...."We told you so ".

Todays news in probably the most devastating Job Loss news to date as the actual jobs are at the very highest levels in Aeronautical Engineering terms and once lost I would suggest will be virtually impossible to re-establish in Ireland.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

For shame on this government, do the decent thing lads and step down now as I amn't seeing any remedial action or even a semblance of forward planning.

Ireland is a sinking ship and Cowen and co dont even appear to know where the buckets are to bail out the water.

The Titanic for all its faults had a rudder and an engine, it wasn't an overweight rudderless disgrace wandering from one crisis to the next...

• Advertisement

But it is absurd to suggest that Aer Lingus should go anywhere other than where they get the best value for money. And it is preposterous to suggest that the government conspired to persuade Aer Lingus to take their business elsewhere.

The Govt should have conspired for aer lingus to do their best to keep the work in Dublin to avoid such a scenario that has happened today.

I'm not saying that Aer lIngus needed to shaft themselves but the money that Aer Lingus probably saved here divided by the Govt's stake has been well and truly flushed down the toilet today in the form of impending dole payouts.

In summary, what did the govt do here? What could they have done? A hell of a lot more!

The govt appear to be frozen with fear at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

Wages are too high in this country. From the leader down.

The Govt should have conspired for aer lingus to do their best to keep the work in Dublin to avoid such a scenario that has happened today.

Should they have done the same with Ryanair? Or is that a bridge too far?

jimmmy wrote: »
    Wages are too high in this country. From the leader down.

Wages and other costs of doing business.

Had we not run into our recession, and even if there were not a worldwide banking crisis, some of the job losses we are now seeing would probably have happened. I think in particular of Dell, Waterford, and now SR. You can't stop the tide going out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Ironbars

EF wrote: »
    It is remarkably bad news for North Dublin alright. With many smaller companies having had the custom of SR in the past few decades the job losses will be a lot higher than the 1,100 announced. Scary times!
    With 200 ryanair jobs going also its going to hard for the government candidates in the North County to spin their way back into office.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭ongarite

I'm not saying that Aer lIngus needed to shaft themselves but the money that Aer Lingus probably saved here divided by the Govt's stake has been well and truly flushed down the toilet today in the form of impending dole payouts.

In summary, what did the govt do here? What could they have done? A hell of a lot more!

The govt appear to be frozen with fear at the moment.

You seem to be stuck in the mind-set that Aer Lingus is a fully government owned national carrier. There is no national carrier anymore and nothing that the Government could or should have done. The Government's 25% shareholding is a token gesture and should be sold at the best return for this country.

Aer Lingus primary goal as publicly traded company is to maximise profit, reduce fixed costs and get best returns for its shareholders not to keep SR Technics in business.

Should they have done the same with Ryanair? Or is that a bridge too far?
    Wasnt aware Ryanair whipped the carpet from under them too, if they did then ouch!
    ongarite wrote: »
    You seem to be stuck in the mind-set that Aer Lingus is a fully government owned national carrier. There is no national carrier anymore and nothing that the Government could or should have done. The Government's 25% shareholding is a token gesture and should be sold at the best return for this country.

Aer Lingus primary goal as publicly traded company is to maximise profit, reduce fixed costs and get best returns for its shareholders not to keep SR Technics in business.
    Not stuck in that mindset. You cant tell me that a 25% shareholder doesnt have any commercial influence in an organisation, if you dont believe they dont then you're dreaming.

They could have done something, thats all.

Advertisement