Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will Rafa ever win the Premier League with Liverpool?

• 12-02-2009 1:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭

I was just reading the Liverpool thread and a couple of lads were arguing about it in there and just the other day, I was thinking about the very same thing and I don't think that he will! So, what do you think?

Will Rafa win the league with Liverpool? 30 votes

Yes (Liverpool fans)
    0% 0 votes
    No (Liverpool fans)
    36% 11 votes
    Yes (United fans)
    20% 6 votes
    No (United fans)
    3% 1 vote
    Yes (Other)
    33% 10 votes
    No (Other)
    6% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Mod note:

There's a question here that's best discussed away from the Liverpool superthread, but if thread descends into another slagging match, it will be closed and posters will be dealt with accordingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

How long does he have and how much money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Mode note:

There's a question here that's best discussed away from the Liverpool superthread, but if thread descends into another slagging match, it will be closed and posters will be dealt with accordingly.

Noted. I don't want anything like that to happen, I just want to see what the general consensus is around here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

nope, he wont

mike65 wrote: »
    How long does he have and how much money?

He has until he leaves Liverpool, I can't decide how much money he's going to be given, but he's had quite a bit so far!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

If given the control he wants with the transfers, then yes, I believe he will. If not, I lean towards no.

Liverpool need another attacking midfielder. Common knowledge, really. He tried to bring in Barry, move was blocked. The Keane saga is well known but I don't think Rafa would have paid twenty mill for him if it meant missing out on Barry.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭destroyer

Eh , the answer to your question is no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I don't think he will.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Why single out United fans in the poll ,why should there opinion differ from other supporters of clubs with in the PL.

Because I wanted to see exactly where Liverpool fans lie on this one and where the rest of the leagues fans lie and with United being one of their big rivals and there being a lot of United fans here, I gave them a separate option too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,723 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

He is off to Coach Madrid in the summer, so if he doesn't win it in the next few months that's a definate no.

• Advertisement

Melion wrote: »
    I have to agree, why did United fans get a seperate option? Just asking for trouble really.

I don't see it that way, we'll just see how the voting pans out! I would expect most of the yes votes to come from Liverpool fans and most of the no votes coming from United fans and I think the rest will be mostly no too, but I just wanted to check!

jasonorr wrote: »
    I don't see it that way, we'll just see how the voting pans out! I would expect most of the yes votes to come from Liverpool fans and most of the no votes coming from United fans and I think the rest will be mostly no too, but I just wanted to check!

The poll is as it is. It won't be changing. If anyone has a problem with that, discuss with me via PM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

Boggles wrote: »
    He is off to Coach Madrid in the summer, so if he doesn't win it in the next few months that's a definate no.

Where are you getting your "facts" from boggles. Don't see why he would choose to go this year when he didn't before.
    @the OP - The poll options are too black and white, a maybe or something along those lines wouldn't go astray

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭The Hustler

Leeds fan here.......we've won the league more recently than Liverpool, and I'm pretty certain we'll win it again before they do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,723 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

colly10 wrote: »
    Where are you getting your "facts" from boggles. Don't see why he would choose to go this year when he didn't before.
    @the OP - The poll options are too black and white, a maybe or something along those lines wouldn't go astray

3 main reasons

1. he rejected his contract
    2. he quit his last club because of a carbon copy power struggle over purchasing players
    3. He supported Real Madrid growing up.

Leeds fan here.......we've won the league more recently than Liverpool, and I'm pretty certain we'll win it again before they do

Id be fairly certain that you won't be seeing the premiership again so that would be impossible

Id be fairly certain that you won't be seeing the premiership again so that would be impossible

You keep believing that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

League 1 maybe!!

I'm a Liverpool fan and I regretfully don't think we'll win the league under Rafa, but would obviously love to be proved wrong as I do have a lot of respect for him and he comes across as a nice guy. His defensive mentality will always be one of his downfalls IMO and although he has bought some good players, he has also bought too much crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I don't think he ever will

You keep believing that ;)

If you honestly believe our own prediction you should make the trek down to paddy power, im sure he'll give you great odds on it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

its not that black and white, but short answer is no i guess

If you honestly believe our own prediction you should make the trek down to paddy power, im sure he'll give you great odds on it

Probably not in my lifetime, so who'll collect? :-PAs it stands, I'll take the League One title over the Prem :)

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I personally think he is too erratic and inconsistant to manage any Liverpool side to the Premiership. I think his current squad are years and years away from being good enough. Far too dependant on Torres and Gerrard (yes I am aware that they beat United without these two).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Boggles wrote: »
    Yea Benitez and Ronaldo will prove a great partnership.

Benitez will win the league assuming boardroom antics don't sabotage his efforts.

And it will be so, so sweet when he does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

NO .. UNited are just too good

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

What ludicrous options.

Surely it should be, "Is Rafa Benitez a manager capable of winning the Premier League, if given the resources required?".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

spockety wrote: »
    What ludicrous options.

Surely it should be, "Is Rafa Benitez a manager capable of winning the Premier League, if given the resources required?".

come off it. Stop making excuses for the man. He's had one of the largest transfer kittys in the PL in the last 5 seasons, and has squandered on mediocre players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Sigh. Here we go again.

What part of this was hard to understand?
    Mod note:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

No for me as well. I was a big fan of Benitez in his first couple of seasons at Liverpool but...

Some continental managers are just patently unable to adapt to the English game and unfortunately Benitez is one of those managers. He has shown this over almost 5 disappointing Premiership campaigns.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement