Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If the FAI is so interested in LoI, then why...

• 12-02-2009 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭

If the FAI loves the LoI as much as they constantly tell us they do, why was there no promotion of the league in the televising of last night's international match?
    I'm not sure if there was any effort made at the game (sometimes they run a piece in the programme), but surely it wouldn't have hurt them to have a hoarding or two on show to remind people that the game is played on this island, and/or to cut a deal with RTÉ for the ad slots?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Hmm, because really they don't care about the LOI?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Because they'd be losing money by turning down advertising revenue?

Sad, but probably true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

...because they don't.

Simple as.

The FAI, as most people in this country, see the LoI as an annoying sideshow that they have to put up with it, because without they wouldn't have the national team.

The FAI are propagandists and liars when it comes to the LoI, and they simply mis-manage and fudge decisions in relation to it.

It wouldn't surprise me if they came to a deal where they don't have to promote the league when the national team is being televised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Nearly sure I saw a rolling advert for MNS along the Davin Lower before kick off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭anladmór

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Nearly sure I saw a rolling advert for MNS along the Davin Lower before kick off!

Yeah me too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

anladmór wrote: »
    Yeah me too.

Me three.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Well that's something, though it's not FAI.

John Delaney is constantly talking about how he wants a viable league, and it's his organization that runs it now. So what's the problem? If they are serious, they will spend the money or forgo the revenue they could have earned, or else they would negotiate it into the sponsorship.

When you think about, it's completely absurd that they don't take the opportunity to raise the league's profile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

The last international v poland was held in the week before the final series of games and the cup final, the FAI made up a very good leaflet promoting both which were distributed at league games so I asked my flatmate to keep an eye to see was there much leafleting or promotion done at the match, he noticed none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

Would the promotion of MNS not come form RTE? The FAI are probably spending all their advertising revenue promoting those wonderfully valued ‘Vantage’ 10 year seats. A snip at €12000, ffs even Houghton sounds slightly embarrassed by the whole scam. I wonder how many of these tickets have been sold, and how much the FAI are depending on them to fund Lansdowne or even the LOI. One way of guaranteeing a seat for the FAI cup final I suppose, but @ €300 per international they are dreaming unless of course when they say vantage they mean, heated, ultra luxurious, whilst a blonde brings you as much beer as you can drink whilst giving you a blow job at half-time, they still will struggle to sell them at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The FAI don't need to publicise the league.

The clubs who have been in court wangling their way out of paying their debts and the clubs who have been out around their communities begging have done more than enough to raise the profile of the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

dancor wrote: »
    Me three.

Me four. It was definitely there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Yis are all liars, there was no ad :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,723 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I agree with most of what was said about FAI not giving 2 hoots.

SectionF wrote: »
    If the FAI loves the LoI as much as they constantly tell us they do, why was there no promotion of the league in the televising of last night's international match?

This got me thinking thou, if you did have 60 seconds to promote the LoI what would you have in the add?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Boggles wrote: »
    This got me thinking thou, if you did have 60 seconds to promote the LoI what would you have in the add?

Vincent Hoey going door to door with a begging bowl.

Cheques bouncing down by the Lee.

Limerick's stunning ground.

Mick Wallace's hair.

Bohs directors on the piss.

That photo of Dolan eating a burger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Well i think it's because it would be a waste of money at this moment in time.

A lot needs to happen behind the scenes first before it's worthwhile.

Clubs need to sort themselves out and the FAI needs to sort itslelf out in terms of the LoI situation.

No point in Marketing a product, which at the moment has very little chance of attracting people outside of those who are already loyal to the brand.

Easy. A few of Keith Fahey and Killian Brennan's screamers. Some of Brian Murphy's incredible, Given-like saves. Supporters with tifos. And Mick Wallace's hair.
    No bitter Shels fans, though. ;)

A lot needs to happen behind the scenes first before it's worthwhile.

Clubs need to sort themselves out and the FAI needs to sort itslelf out in terms of the LoI situation.

No point in Marketing a product, which at the moment has very little chance of attracting people outside of those who are already loyal to the brand.
    Chicken & egg. If you applied that logic to any proposed venture you'd never do anything.

Chicken & egg. If you applied that logic to any proposed venture you'd never do anything.

Of course you would.

The problem is that it is a chicken and a bad egg.

There is no point at all in advertising the LoI at the moment, it has gotten itself a lot of free press the past few months, most of it bad.

The product needs to be revamped. Following even the most basic business model, advertising is one of the last things the LoI needs at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XGTuzqxvyQ

With 2 seconds to spare ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭anladmór

the play leading to that goal is excellent. lol at the swede 'the super saints'

• Advertisement

Of course you would.

The problem is that it is a chicken and a bad egg.

There is no point at all in advertising the LoI at the moment, it has gotten itself a lot of free press the past few months, most of it bad.

The product needs to be revamped. Following even the most basic business model, advertising is one of the last things the LoI needs at the moment.
    It won't be revamped until it has the resources necessary. It won't have the resources unless it is supported. Bad egg (Irish sporting philistinism) needs to change first. And it's not really a proper business, and probably won't ever be. We should get real and stop deluding ourselves on that score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

At least with Newstalk and The Star as sponsors with might see more positive reporting on the league and more coverage.

And it's not really a proper business, and probably won't ever be. We should get real and stop deluding ourselves on that score.

Well then take it for what it is then if that is the case.

Advertisement