Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government Wasters

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Again it all goes back to the guy who spent 50 million (and rising every month with storage costs) on electronic voting machines that even Robert Mugabe didn't think were up to the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

If as many suggest we are only entering the deper parts of this depression then I am not so certain that at some stage the likes of Cullen,Lenihan,Harney,Dempsey et al may yet find themselves in very real real danger.

The realization that Fianna Fail as a party is still insisting upon preserving a certain value on development related "assets" when the most prudent approach would be to simply offload the lot immediately is beginning to sink in to the collective mind.

The real danger in Public Order terms will come when the State first defaults on its own Social Welfare payments and that cannot be far away now.

I wonder if the GulfstreamV can hold the entire Cabinet ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

AlekSmart wrote: »
    If as many suggest we are only entering the deper parts of this depression then I am not so certain that at some stage the likes of Cullen,Lenihan,Harney,Dempsey et al may yet find themselves in very real real danger.

The realization that Fianna Fail as a party is still insisting upon preserving a certain value on development related "assets" when the most prudent approach would be to simply offload the lot immediately is beginning to sink in to the collective mind.

The real danger in Public Order terms will come when the State first defaults on its own Social Welfare payments and that cannot be far away now.

I wonder if the GulfstreamV can hold the entire Cabinet ?

I was doing my family tree a few months ago and I discovered that my Great Grandfather lived at Marrowbone Lane in 1916, which is where some of the worst fighting took place during the 1916 rising. I wondered how it was like for him to live in those sort of revolunatory times and did he appreciate that he was really living history.

I'm only starting to realise now that I'm living in the same sort of times myself, it is only a matter of time before we default and the situation gets a lot lot worse...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

In my eyes, it doesn't classify waste, it classifys abuse.

Here we are, criticising Robert Mugabe - but our own leaders are doing EXACTLY the same thing.

I was wondering if anyone has compiled a list of all the government abuses in 1 place.

All the various stories such as:
    The 164,000 flight to texas
    Taoiseach's department's €650,000 travel bill
    The voting machines, police cars,
    infrastructural overspends
    payroll systems

etc.
    etc.

Does anyone have a link?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    I was wondering if anyone has compiled a list of all the government abuses in 1 place.

payroll systems

etc.
    etc.

Does anyone have a link?

A website listing TD's abuses of power?
    That would be a VERY VERY long read :D

Well, if we could narrow it down to the last election and present day so......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

payroll systems

etc.
    etc.

Does anyone have a link?

Are you gonna pay for the extra 160Gb drive to house this information.

LOL:D

Seriously tho fellas, does anybody have such a list?

Any good resources where I could start on compiling one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 little_miss_sun

Just picked up the Sunday Tribune yesterday to read it (didn't get around to read it on the weekend). Did anyone see that article about how much money was wasted by the government espeicially on the amount wasted by the minister Martin Cullen going to the Olympics! He flew first class while the rest went business class, what a joke! With wasters like that no wonder the country is where it is. The five links below have a different part of the story. Love to know what people think about this.

http://www.tribune.ie/news/home-news...0-travel-bill/

http://www.tribune.ie/article/2009/f...ip-cost-67000/

http://www.tribune.ie/article/2009/f...gby-world-cup/

http://www.tribune.ie/article/2009/f...rip-to-boston/

http://www.tribune.ie/article/2009/f...-to-las-vegas/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭conlonbmw

Here we are, criticising Robert Mugabe - but our own leaders are doing EXACTLY the same thing.

Is there any link to the owners of NTR or the Voting machine company and the Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I agree, it would probably break the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

No doubt they are argue that it would look bad if Irish representatives stayed the night at the comfort inn or flew Ryanair and everyone will forget about it until next time a bloody again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

An Taoiseach Brian Cowen 2008– Fianna Fáil
    An Tánaiste Mary Coughlan 2008– Fianna Fáil
    Minister for Agriculture Brendan Smith 2008– Fianna Fáil
    Minister for Arts Martin Cullen 2008– Fianna Fáil
    Minister for Comms Eamon Ryan 2008– Green Party
    Minister for Gaeltacht Éamon Ó Cuív 2008– Fianna Fáil
    Minister for Defence Willie O'Dea 2008– Fianna Fáil
    Minister for Education Batt O'Keeffe 2008- Fianna Fáil
    Minister for Enterprise Mary Coughlan 2008– Fianna Fáil
    Minister for the Environ John Gormley 2008– Green Party
    Minister for Finance Brian Lenihan 2008– Fianna Fáil
    Minister for Foreign Micheál Martin 2008– Fianna Fáil
    Minister for Health Mary Harney 2008– Independent
    Minister for Justice Dermot Ahern 2008– Fianna Fáil
    Minister for Family Mary Hanafin 2008– Fianna Fáil
    Minister for Transport Noel Dempsey 2008– Fianna Fáil

Take your pick, Cullen would have to be my pick - he used up all his chances and should be out of the cabinet at this stage. Would say he will be blamed for Waterford Glass going and will lose his seat next time anyway. He really doesnt inspire confidence. Lenihan secondly, seems completely out of his depth. In third, Mary Coughlan doesnt inspire me. Not sure why Cowen made her Taoiseach.

I would have a lot of respect for Micheál Marting and Mary Harney, they have the balls to make tough unpopular decisions while not always being right. I would also have respect for Cowen and the Green Ministers who's hearts seem to be in the right place. And although much maligned, you cannot hide the fact that Willie is the highest vote getter in the country, and for that alone I think he deserves respect (and must be doing something right).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

thebman wrote: »
    No doubt they are argue that it would look bad if Irish representatives stayed the night at the comfort inn or flew Ryanair and everyone will forget about it until next time a bloody again!

Saw Mary Coughlan get off a Ryanair flight on Friday in London. We were surprised to see her, but really couldn't give a crap who she flew with. The problem is I'd say that you need to be pretty certain of getting there on time for Government business. This delay or cancelation crap wouldn't be good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Two very similar threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

molloyjh wrote: »
    Saw Mary Coughlan get off a Ryanair flight on Friday in London. We were surprised to see her, but really couldn't give a crap who she flew with. The problem is I'd say that you need to be pretty certain of getting there on time for Government business. This delay or cancelation crap wouldn't be good enough.

I don't think it matters much if she is there or not, I don't think many would miss her intellectual contribution. Of course if they needed someone to keep the seat warm then that is another thing.
    To OP's question somebody had a list of all the cockups and expenditure wastes a while back.
    Not sure if on here or over on politics.ie but it was a long list asnd that was before Fás, Bejing Olympics, IFSRA, DDDA, Anglo (hasn't biffo renamed it Angola yet) and all the other dirty little secrets came to light.

So allocate another hour or so to reading it, if it has been updated and you find it.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

jmayo wrote: »
    To OP's question somebody had a list of all the cockups and expenditure wastes a while back.

I've no idea has it been updated lately but there was plently of reading in it last time I checked:
    www.soldiersofdestiny.org

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

Do not be unfair to Mr. Mugabe. Our own leaders in this little country are so good at lining their own pockets with pay, pensions + perks I bet Mr. Mugabe has a picture of Mary McAleese up on his wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

jimmmy wrote: »
    Do not be unfair to Mr. Mugabe. Our own leaders in this little country are so good at lining their own pockets with pay, pensions + perks I bet Mr. Mugabe has a picture of Mary McAleese up on his wall.

any chance that he is an adviser to f.f., they seem to have the same ideas and outlook in life to the populance, (ie screw em, and n.b. dont roide em, rape em.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Pub07

Two more things for the list are the Bertie bowl, and the various tribunals that have produced next to zero criminal prosecutions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Daithinski

And although much maligned, you cannot hide the fact that Willie is the highest vote getter in the country, and for that alone I think he deserves respect (and must be doing something right).

Eh, if he was doing something right, surely you would be able to pinpoint what it was?

I don't know how you think hes deserving of respect, for the lone fact of getting votes?

I wouldn't be that easily impressed.

He has a handy number, minister of defence. In Ireland.

If Carlsberg made ministries....

Advertisement