Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greatest video game theme?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

This always brings back great memories :)

In a game that has a ton of great music imo, this would have to be my favourite.

And lets not forget about Duke...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭acid.rain

for me, its Chrono Cross' "Radical Dreamers" theme

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

So many FF ones come to mind.

Oh Cid I am so happy you got to go into Outer Space eventually!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Metal Gear 2 Intro --- Harry Gregson Williams is a genius :):D :rolleyes:

Street Fighter 2 -- Guiles theme

BUT...they are surpassed by the Greatest theme tune of all time !! :eek::eek:

MEDAL OF HONOR !!!

Just when its hits 1.54....shivers down the spine :),,,, EPIC STUFF !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I can never get enough of Katamari On The Swing. Freaking awesome tune. That game is just full of amazing music.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

A couple of mine here which, while not necessarily the greatest themes ever, are some of my personnal favourites. More to come as i think of them.

Cid's Theme

Final Fantasy VII - Interrupted by Fireworks

Lost Odyssey - Sign of Hope

Freedom Fighters - Freedom Fighters (eveyone should play this game, then listen to the soundtrack)

System Shock 2 - Med Sci 1

Red Alert 2 - Hell March (the best version)

Ace Combat 5 - Unsung War

Ace Combat 4 - Megalith

Ace Combat Belkan War - Zero

Street Fighter 2 (Snes) - Kens Theme (best version btw)

Mass Effect - Spectre Induction

Eve Online - Nouvelle Rouvenor Hero

Super Mario World - Ending C

And last but not least, Portal - Still Alive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

i used to love the final boss music for sonic 3 and knuckles:

also the monkey island theme tune is a classic. theres so many different versions but heres one from the original:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

TygerKrash wrote: »
    Oh. my. god. how the mighty have fallen. My ears will never be the same again.

i love it

its just so bloody rubbish that you have to love it imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

my ringtone:D, this music is just perfect for the manic fighting up the lift of the 7th stage in Streets of Rage 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Lots of classics mentioned (Deus Ex, Castlevania etc...) and they are all well and good.
    And then this piece of brilliant nonsense came around and showed what contemporary video game music is all about:

Anyone who doesn't adore that piece of music has no soul :P

I love that tune but this is definitely my favorite song from the katamari catalog!

Also have a lot of love for the majority of the nintendo themes, ff 4-7 (and some of 8), deus ex, system shock etc. Can't really say there is a greatest video game theme though as there are just too many great ones to consider. Somewhat under appreciated aspect of gaming, if only more games came with a cd of the score!

Just thinking about this topic though gets this song in my head. Spent about a week whistling it after i heard it the last time...

ugh...

its happening again!

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

medal of honor theme

metal gear solid

battlefield 1942 is damn good too along with any of the legend of zelda soundtracks, especially wind waker and OoT

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭TygerKrash

Kiith wrote: »
    Street Fighter 2 (Snes) - Kens Theme (best version btw)

+1 for this. Music to Dragon punch to!

another one came to mind for me.
    (its the first track here I'm particularly thinking of)
    IIRC a piece of this ( the kind of scratching piece in the middle) was used in Hackers the movie too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

Lots of lovely tunes in Plok!

A nice little bonus room bonus from Skullmonkeys:

Don't act like you don't like the ball-bustah:

Also, World of Goo has a brilliant soundtrack. It's like something out of Danny Elfman or John Morris' head, and it's free to download (legally)!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

I was just about to give monkey island a +1, but then I remembered... The greatest game music of all time!

EDIT: Fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Instead of a link in between 2 [URL] tags

You simply put get your Youtube URL , remove the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v= and put the final part....which will be something like A1B2C3D4 in between 2 [/url]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Instead of a link in between 2 [URL] tags

You simply put get your Youtube URL , remove the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v= and put the final part....which will be something like A1B2C3D4 in between 2 [/url]

Legend, thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭lt_cmdr_worf

This one stood out for me in the Commodore 64 days:

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

noodler wrote: »
    I think/thought it had more to do with the fact he eats snakes in the Forrest etc in that game.

Maybe I didn't read enough into it.

Amazing the MGS which probably got the least hype/attention was the best.

That was a pretty cool theme, i love the bit when your climbing up the huge ladder after the end battle after killing all the (or most of the) cobras and it starts playing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Two bits of electro, first two not very well known, from the saturn version of Baroque. The third from a very well known sequel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Bioshock's theme is very strong; nicely orchestral without being too bombastic, moody & atmospheric. A different pace altogether methinks:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Glad someone put in the Soul Reaver intro music. Still my favourite game intro of all time.

Honourable mentions to Mass Effect and Hell March as well.

Some others

Donkey Kong - underwater levels

Theme music from Quake 1

Starfox - grandiose! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Thanks for the memories guys.

Take care,
    Kevin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

might and magic 9.
    also is one of the most underrated games i've played

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

quad_red wrote: »
    Theme music from Quake 1

I bought Quake again just to get the soundtrack off it. I was listening to it yesterday coincidentally and I was getting paranoid wandering around college after dark. Corridors, murkiness and Quake soundtrack = fear of Ogre attack.

The opening theme to the original Silent Hill is deadly too (anyone know if it's available on CD?). Like Morricone scoring Twin Peaks (although the compression in this particular vid is dreadful!):

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

I've been playing wow for over 4 years now and the only time i ever switch on the music is for this (1:58 for the only example of scandavian keypushed fiddle ever used in a video game):

This is also pretty good, but for some reason it plays differently on the soundtrack than the (better) arrangement ingame:

BF1942 and castlevania still winning for me though:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭monosharp

New but great

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭kaiser soza

This still makes me laugh after 10 years http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeuqdZM7npA

Best three Theme tracks I have ever heard are the Electric Chocobo theme,Aeris Death and One Winged Angle from Final Fantasy VII.

Advertisement