Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAM updrade not recognised?

Options
  • 12-02-2009 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I put a new hard drive and additional RAM into a Dell Desktop and i placed it all in at the one time and then installed the OS.

Anyway it works fine except the new RAM that was put in is not being recognised on the PC? (when i right click on my computer properties its only showing the amount of old RAM)

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Motherboard/OS?

Did you get a warning first time you turned the pc on about ram changing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

No i never got that message i am familiar with that message from installing RAM on other machines.

I wonder the fact that i put in a hard drive at the same time and then immediately installed the Operating System?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Does it appear in the bios? Your motherboard might not support more than 2gb ram. Some older ones don't

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

How much memory did you install?
    Are the speeds the same as the older ram?
    What tyoe of ram is it?
    DDR1 / DDR2 Sdram / FBdimms?
    What OS are you runing?
    If win xp or vista 32bit you will only see 4Gb or 3.25Gb
    If win xp or vista 64bit if will recognise more than 4GB

Advertisement