Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What kind of world do you wish for your children to grow up in?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Jakkass wrote: »
    Moral relativism forces people with any form of genuine moral compass to be a hypocrite. In cases such as genocide, people would lean to say that it is absolutely wrong, when infact it is morally relative to the perpetrator if you subscribe to relative morality. So the Rwandan Genocide in 1994 could have been very right for the people who did it and very wrong for you. That's the best you can do on a situation like that.

I agree. I've found plenty of people who say that morality is relative, but nobody who actually behaves like it. Apparently Michel Foucault managed to be consistent on this one, though I didn't know him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Jakkass wrote: »
    Moral relativism forces people with any form of genuine moral compass to be a hypocrite. In cases such as genocide, people would lean to say that it is absolutely wrong, when infact it is morally relative to the perpetrator if you subscribe to relative morality. So the Rwandan Genocide in 1994 could have been very right for the people who did it and very wrong for you. That's the best you can do on a situation like that.

The best you can do? Are you striving for something? Maybe the idea that the whole discourse of morality doesnt even hold objective truths as in Moral nihilism might suit better.

Advertisement