Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF7 (about its botched Nintendo release)

Options
  • 12-02-2009 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭

I have seen these pictures before http://www.ff7citadel.com/gameinfo/info_nintendo.shtml

I was wondering though if anymore were ever released? I mean with some actual relevance to what FF7 turned out to be rather than a glorified FF6 tech demo?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've read a lot about this and there isn't all that much to it. Sqaure did the FFVI tech demo but it wasn't actually on N64 technology but running on a silicon graphics machine who were partners with nintendo for the N64 and it was supposed to resemble the machine when it was made. Games on the N64 didn't really have a development kit they had to be made on these SG machines then transferred to a N64 prototype which kept changing and getting it's specs downgraded. Square had only made the demo and was starting the CGI when it was announced Nintendo were sticking with cartridges. Square realised there wasn't a hope in hell that their vision of FFVII with tonnes of pre-rendered backgrounds and cinematics would fit on a cartridge and jumped ship to the playstation which as a platform was far more developed, was based on SNES architecture that Square had experience with and was using CD based medium.

The FFVI demo is known to be the only thing they did on the SG machines before jumping ship to sony.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Yeah I found a bit more about it.

Okay another question, is there anything to said for playing through Dirge of Cerberus. Even once?

Any little neat plot extras, or stroyline developments that would add something, anything, to FF7?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well presumably they fixed a lot from the japanese release which I played briefly and regretted. The japanese version was an atrocious game with no merit whatsoever. They ironed out the niggles in the western releases but I've heard it's still average at best.

As for the story, I've no interest in it. However if you liked the stories of Advent Children and Crisis Core then you might like it since it links with them. IMO I think those stories are poor and don't accept them as canon. Also if you are a rabid Vincent fan, there are surprisingly loads, then you might enjoy it more. It is a very pretty game though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

My girlfriend played through Dirge of Cerberus whilst I watched. It's pretty 'meh'. Most levels consist of: Here is a laser barrier preventing entry to the next level, find the enemy who has the key. The main Deepground enemies are kind of interesting, like Rosso the Crimson, Nero and Weiss; but now that I think about it they're interesting in a way that I wish their designs could have been used for something else and had their own story instead of a story that had to be copy-pasta'd into the FFVII world. Then again you could probably say the same about Genesis in Crisis Core and I liked him... :pac:

I think as a FFVII fan the main reason to play Dirge of Cerberus is the CGI movies in it, which are Advent Children quality and very nice. I guess the storyline does kind of add to Hojo's story a bit - but we already know the guy is the most evil person in FFVII. If you're a Vincent/The Turks fan you will enjoy the story/fan service as well. I also liked the end of the game because there's a song by Gackt for the credits :D Then there's the secret ending that showed off Genesis for the first time.

I think that pretty much sums up what's in the game. It's not terrible to play, but it's not excellent either. Considering you'd pick it cheap now it's probably worth a play through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 whitneysegura

FF7 is one of the grreatest games ever created! I love it and so does the rest of the world! Yya for final fantasy! woo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

FF7 is one of the grreatest games ever created! I love it and so does the rest of the world! Yya for final fantasy! woo

Post of the year imo.

Advertisement