Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why don't restaurants use Quorn?

Options
  • 12-02-2009 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

I know there's one place in town who does fajitas with quorn chicken but most restaurants would never dare use fake meat, pity cause i'd love to see their results.

Anyone else know restaurants that do?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Where is that place? Know nowher in Irwland. Few place in paris did when I was there, seitan is sooooo nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

My guess would be that if a restaurant is going to have a vegetarian menu, they're going to go the whole hog and not just use processed meat-substitute.

It'd be like serving chicken nuggets. Wouldn't go down well tbh.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Why would it not go down well? It would go down really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

Where is that place? Know nowher in Irwland. Few place in paris did when I was there, seitan is sooooo nice.

www.odessa.ie in their brunch menu! It's in Dublin!
    Off down to Cork for Val's in a few hours, theres a few veg restaurants down there so hope we find a good one!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Linguo wrote: »
    I've recommended that place a few times here... a proper restaurant that does good veggie options. While we don't really celebrate Valentines Day (everyday is Valentines Day when you're married to Slaphead) I'm bringing the missus there for brunch tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Off down to Cork for Val's in a few hours, theres a few veg restaurants down there so hope we find a good one!:)

http://www.cafeparadiso.ie/ ?

Never been, heard it's good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

If I was the owner of a restaurant I woudn't be using quorn :) or at least I wouldn't be advertising it

Having that said I think quorn chicken tastes like dirt

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

Went there at the weekend. Was very nice. Didn't try the thing with Quorn in (although it didn't say Quorn on the menu when I got there). I recommend the veggie breakfast :)

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭nowimtalking

There is a company which supplies food for our school and i was going to request that they offer a dish with quorn in it because all of their hot dishes are inclusive of meat!
    There are about 8 vegetarians in the school out of 580-590

No harm in suggesting it, and if they won't do that, maybe just a good veggie meal without meat alternatives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭writetojd

Sorry to go back on topic but quorn isn't to everybodies taste. It can be a little bland and not everyone likes eating a meat substitute or something that looks and tastes like the food they avoid. I don't mind it but wouldn't be a lover of it. Can be a little boring and would prefer a fresh veggie dinner or lunch than a frozen meat substitute but that's just my opinion. Some people love the stuff, each to their own I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Aard wrote: »
    It'd be like serving chicken nuggets. Wouldn't go down well tbh.
    +1
    Why would it not go down well? It would go down really well.
    I expect some chefs who fancy themselves as "proper chefs" would not use it. It is a brand name off the shelf product. It would be like Gordon Ramsey serving up HB vienetta with just something else thrown on top, or Big Al's burgers. Or other brand name meat products, the likes of chippers can get away with serving up "off the shelf" products, like walsh's spiceburgers.
    (although it didn't say Quorn on the menu when I got there).
    I expect more might use it and not advertise the fact, like I expect many restaurants do use the likes of uncle bens sauces, but are not going to advertise it.

If people go out they usually might want something that has a sense of "not being able to do at home", and if you see brand name stuff it would put many people off

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i wouldnt care if they used it or not, one night, i would just love to go out and have a really nice vegetarian main and not pasta with dolmo sauce and get charge €20.00 for the privilage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

They meat sub most use is soya protein aka Tofu. You can get some very nice Tofu meals in Yamamori.
    http://www.menupages.ie/restaurants/yamamori.aspx

not pasta with dolmio sauce and get charge €20.00 for the privilage
    Which just further shows the point, Some would object to pasta, quorn & dolmio sauce for €20! Some would see it as something they could just do at home themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,300 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I imagine that most don't use it for one of two reasons (or a combination of both)

They'd rather offer vegitarian dishes, rather than a "meat" dish suitable for veggies.

and/or

Its not suitable for vegans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Good question. Never really considered it before tbh.

It used to be awful stuff, but, no doubt has improved. Personally i don't have a vegetarian menu. I hate the stale old veggie lasagne or bake this or that, that can be lying around some kips for days. I like to ask a simple "what would you like". If a kitchen is well stocked and food is cooked to order..within reason there is very little i cant do.

Quorn, hmm, i must go guinea pig on this at the weekend. I have no experience cooking with it and really never though about it before, i certainly wont serve it till i try it. It's got me curious though :D

Vegetarians rate this stuff now? and if the choice was there you would go for it? Ive never been asked it.

rubadub wrote: »

I expect some chefs who fancy themselves as "proper chefs" would not use it. It is a brand name off the shelf product. It would be like Gordon Ramsey serving up HB vienetta with just something else thrown on top, or Big Al's burgers. Or other brand name meat products, the likes of chippers can get away with serving up "off the shelf" products, like walsh's spiceburgers.
    I'd say some are like that, the best place I have eaten was in paris and had none. Some very good restaurants don't mind, I've had Seitan in a lot. I don't see the difference between cooking brand meat and brand fake meat :P.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

themadchef wrote: »
    Quorn, hmm, i must go guinea pig on this at the weekend. I have no experience cooking with it and really never though about it before, i certainly wont serve it till i try it. It's got me curious though :D

Vegetarians rate this stuff now? and if the choice was there you would go for it? Ive never been asked it.

I'd be very interested in what a chef would do with Quorn. I use a fair amount of the stuff. The 'pieces' can take a bit of marinading, as indeed can the sausages (nice with a risotto).

I don't see the difference between cooking brand meat and brand fake meat :P.
    I don't either and expect chefs would be opposed to them equally, be it Big Al's burgers or Quorn. Quorn never struck me as a high quality brand name. You might get a restaurant listing butlers irish chocolate as being used, or maybe some ballymaloe sauce. But I would have quorn on a par with big als, birdseye etc.

As I said before I expect some do use it, but just don't advertise the fact.

Pallas foods are a big catering supplier, I wonder if they have any similar product. http://www.pallasfoods.eu/products/index.htm

• Advertisement

I agree with quorn not being great, I'm not a fan of most of it compared to other fake meats. Instead of a brand name imitation meat, how about a generic type one like seitan, which is sold by kg in other countries like meat. I don't see the difference between a restaurant using a certain farmers meat and using this, it is essentially the farmers brand of meat, even if it does not have packaging.

Advertisement