Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CNBC is it a good channel for economic issues?

• 12-02-2009 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

I have started watching this channel lately and just wondering is it a good source to get infromation on the financial world. I am an amateur at this but find the subject very exciting. My question is are they for real or is it entertainment as such. Looking forward to your thoughts on this

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

Like all financial networks, take the advice of talking heads with a pinch (truck load) of salt. I generally don't watch CNBC, I usually have Bloomberg on in the background: it's not particularly exciting but I find it's good for basic information releases. Listening to some of the crazies, e.g. Dr. Doom and Jim Rogers, is always amusing, however. Also, how academics can go to public policy roles and become so deluded in what they're saying, i.e. Christina Romer.

The Economist is worth reading in times like this. Ditto the Financial Times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Forums

I saw your man Rogers on the other morning and he sounded so convincing. The thing I like about it is the Irish media sounds like they are reading Angelas Ashes while with these guys they are more positive about the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

US channels are mainly good for big hair, assertive voices and amusing "cool" names

I like Jim Rogers, he's a great personality and a good speaker, but he's been wrong on commodities and how safe Asia is for investment (silverharp pointed that out a while ago, i.e. decoupling theory). I'm also not a fan of his views on certain monetary issues. There's a danger in being too optimistic, as illustrated in this post (the video), because there's no reason for someone to be optimistic right now. There's no positive indicators for the short-term, or at least there are very few. I think the general public here aren't being pessimistic enough, coming from someone, i.e. me, who is generally an optimist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Forums

I did gather that the indicators are not good. One thing I observered is that they(Yanks) view the issues on their merit but in this country things gets very personal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,611 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

if you were to watch anything on CNBC, it's the 7-8AM European session but again just as background noise, another guest I like is Hugh Henrdry. On average its a huge timewaste watching these channels, a sub to the Economist is a better use of your time
    Bloomberg does a very good 2 hour prog at the weekend though, you could do worse then record it to spin through the numerous breaks.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

The Economist
    daveirl wrote: »

Thanks lads xx

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Amberman

Like all financial networks, take the advice of talking heads with a pinch (truck load) of salt. I generally don't watch CNBC, I usually have Bloomberg on in the background: it's not particularly exciting but I find it's good for basic information releases. Listening to some of the crazies, e.g. Dr. Doom and Jim Rogers, is always amusing, however. Also, how academics can go to public policy roles and become so deluded in what they're saying, i.e. Christina Romer.

The Economist is worth reading in times like this. Ditto the Financial Times.

wow...you think Marc Faber is crazy? You are the first person Ive ever heard describe him as that. Maybe people should read "Tomorrows Gold"...written years ago....ye know...just to get an idea how "crazy" he is.

Most people laughed at him when he wrote it...and thats fine, but you're the first person Ive seen laughing after many of the things he predicted have come true!

Truly Baffled

Amberman

Amberman wrote: »
    wow...you think Marc Faber is crazy? You are the first person Ive ever heard describe him as that. Maybe people should read "Tomorrows Gold"...written years ago....ye know...just to get an idea how "crazy" he is.

Most people laughed at him when he wrote it...and thats fine, but you're the first person Ive seen laughing after many of the things he predicted have come true!

Truly Baffled

Amberman

I havnt read his book but I get his newsletter and indeed if any of the perma bulls had taken his advise they would be doing very well now.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

Truly Baffled

Amberman
    I'm talking about his current stance on bad banks and the joy he attaches to deflation. If you wish to fawn over his ideas, feel free.

I'm not fawning over his ideas, Im fawning over his predictions which have come true. You cant argue with the guys track record...but you can dislike his Austrian education.... :)

I bought gold a while back thanks in large part to his analysis. If you want to put forward an investment idea in as convincing and as prescient a way as he has done several times, I will fawn over you too some day.

the joy he attaches to deflation.

Ive never picked up on this aspect of his analysis. To what are you referring specifically?

Ive never picked up on this aspect of his analysis. To what are you referring specifically?
    ... Classical gold standard. That's fairly obvious considering you've already pointed to his Austrian School beliefs. He's written about deflation and the purchasing power of money before. You should find that on his site.

... Classical gold standard. That's fairly obvious considering you've already pointed to his Austrian School beliefs. He's written about deflation and the purchasing power of money before. You should find that on his site.

Thanks, I'll take a look. What do you think of Nassim Taleb?

I've attached one of Fabers letters from 06. Now I'll be the first to admid that being a market timer does does not mean they have any reason to be taken seriously on how an economy should be run. But I'd argue that someone with an Austrain School perspective does not see it as all or nothing , at any point in all they are saying is you are going in the wrong direction.

Thanks Silverharp! I'm reading this now.

Faber on dollar depreciation against the Phillipino Peso....

"believe me, whenever the Philippine peso manages to
    appreciate against another currency, that currency must be terminally
    sick"

LOL

This clip is going to to do the rounds , Rick Santelli on CNBC

"what we're doing in this country is making the founding fathers roll over in their graves".

Its about time someone said it!

Every day, Rick Santelli is the voice of reason and integrity on CNBC. I love listening to him.

I noticed that one of the presenters joked that the police were coming around the corner to shut him up and quell his dissent to the political establishment.

I seriously wonder how long that will be a joke.

"what we're doing in this country is making the founding fathers roll over in their graves".

Every day, Rick Santelli is the voice of reason and integrity on CNBC. I love listening to him.

I noticed that one of the presenters joked that the police were coming around the corner to shut him up and quell his dissent to the political establishment.

"...reward people that can carry the water not drink the water". its good stuff.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

Forums wrote: »
    I have started watching this channel lately and just wondering is it a good source to get infromation on the financial world. I am an amateur at this but find the subject very exciting. My question is are they for real or is it entertainment as such. Looking forward to your thoughts on this

I dont think CNBC is a good source of finanical info. The money honeys(Maria Bartiromo,etc) act as cheerleaders for the market and not as objective journalist. Since it is a business channel they tend to over hype the market.
    Bloomberg is probably the best business channel. Thier all business no BS

daveirl wrote: »

I just checked youtube , its had over 400K hits now, it must have hit a nerve with many

Update from the kudlow show

Just to add nothing to the discourse,
    Maria baritomo is very hot though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Not really. It's just hot air with a bit of useful information about current market news. They get useful people on for interviews but its usually just a repeat of their earnings call or whatever.

If you want to know about the latest public news and dont have access to any market makers or anything along those lines then I guess there isnt much to compete with it.

But its definitely a channel that considers entertainment value when decideding what to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

you schmuck.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=220252&title=cnbc-gives-financial-advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

wow, the silence is deafening.

• Advertisement

lol....that was brilliant...most of them are idiots....

Advertisement