Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a bit of advice from all you lovely knowledgable people :-)

• 12-02-2009 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi there,

Without giving you my life story! Im 27 am 5 foot 4 and weigh about 15 stone 5 (really overweight I know :o). Im getting married in early September and ideally would love to loose 3 of these stones at least. Am I asking too much? I joined weight watchers but its too easy to be bold because no fodd is restricted if you understand me?

Now I know a lot of people on here are not fans of celebrity slim or lipotrim or that kind of thing but is there any way I can loose some of my weight faster?

Ill also add that my general diet isnt too bad. I snack on sweet things rarely but when I do it tends to be a big blow out. My exercise at the moment is not great. I have a cross trainer in the house and manage about 20 mins 4 times a week.

Im looking for any information/inspiration or ideas you guys can offer!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

If you can't handle the "No food is a sin" thing in WW, you might be better with something like Atkins, where certain foods are completely banned, but you can eat ad lib on others.

Researchers at the Stanford University School of Medicine Prevention Research Centre took a group of 311 overweight women and assigned them to one of four different diets.

They gave them a brief counselling session and sent them off with a book about their diet (aiming for real life conditions). Each woman ate similar amounts of calories and their health was monitored during the study.

At the end of the year, they found that the women on Atkins has lost 10.4lb, almost twice as much as the 5.7lb in the LEARN group. Ornish dieters had lost 4.8lb and the Zone group had lost 3.5lb.

The Atkins group has also shown the biggest decrease in blood pressure, triglycerides, cholesterol and bodyfat.

More recently, a comparision of different diets found that the most successful was Atkins, followed by Mediterrean, then Zone, then low fat (Weight Watchers) and Ornish was the least successful.

You don't have to do full-blown Atkins but replacing all white carbs (sugar, bread, rice, pasta, potatoes) with lean protein and green vegetables should produce good results.

Another thing: Try eating only when you are hungry. Wait 20 minutes after you think you might be hungry just to be sure. Turn off the telelvison. Eat slowly. Enjoy your food. Stop as soon as you are not hungry. Don't eat again until you are hungry again. Eat at the table, using a plate and a knife and fork or spoon.

Studies have found that eating on your food and/or out of the fridge results in eating 40% more calories than eating at the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭thinnyminnie

Thanks Eileen for taking the time to post. I think Im gonna go and do a bit of research now and see if I can even get an atkins book.

The problem with me at the moment is theres so many diets out there and I dont know what one to pick!

Im definately with you on the cutting of carbs. Sure the bloated feeling afterwards should be alarm bells ringing in my head straight away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Easy to get Atkins books. Libraries have them and so do all the second hand shops.

People often have the wrong idea about Atkins. Although the first couple of weeks are pretty strict, you then do a much more relaxed low carb diet with lots and lots and lots of veg, as well as lower carb fruits and even some wholegrain. But it does pay to do the first couple of weeks as written. Too many people think all that's involved in low carbing is eating brown bread instead of white.

Advertisement