Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sarah Palin - One Smart Cookie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Sarah Palin in Coherent Sentence Shocker

• Registered Users Posts: 83,309 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I hope she does run in 2012 just so I can see more of Tina Fey's cleaveage :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Pocono Joe wrote: »
    but definitely part of a new growing Conservative movement.

Call me mad, but haven't the Republicans been line dancing with right wing religous conservatives since Reagan and before? I seem to remember the last Republican convention seeing a rather embarrassing attempt by one and all to be 'folksy', and that did them SFA good.

Maybe its time to ditch 'folksy'....try upright politics with a clear economic alternative and jettison the Evangelical baggage.

Sarah Palin in Coherent Sentence Shocker

'Sentence Believed to Relate to Bagging Wolf'

Nodin wrote: »
    Call me mad, but haven't the Republicans been line dancing with right wing religous conservatives since Reagan and before? I seem to remember the last Republican convention seeing a rather embarrassing attempt by one and all to be 'folksy', and that did them SFA good.

Maybe its time to ditch 'folksy'....try upright politics with a clear economic alternative and jettison the Evangelical baggage.
    Hard to do when so many of your constituents are folksy evangelicals. Without that demographic the Republicans would really be done for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

and jettison the Evangelical baggage.

If this is really your only quip against the Republicans then by all means stay with the Democrats. We won't lose any sleep over not having your support.

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    If this is really your only quip against the Republicans .

O no. Enabling a bunch of back room yahoos to play God with the lives of Iraqis, dropping the ball on Afghanistan, giving support to the Israeli right.....the arrogance, stupidity and shortsightedness overall....And thats just the last eejit. Ronnie Raygun was another nightmare.

I'm foreign though and thus will not be voting for either of your parties. The extended clan Nod in the US are, however, life long democrats.

O no. Enabling a bunch of back room yahoos to play God with the lives of Iraqis, dropping the ball on Afghanistan, giving support to the Israeli right.....the arrogance, stupidity and shortsightedness overall....And thats just the last eejit. Ronnie Raygun was another nightmare.

I'm foreign though and thus will not be voting for either of your parties. The extended clan Nod in the US are, however, life long democrats.

As far as arrogance, stupidity and shortsightedness are concerned I and anybody can make that argument against the Democrats.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

The inconsistencies between her actions (no passport) and words do not attest to her being "One Smart Cookie" fully prepared to occupy the USA's 2nd highest office (or one heartbeat away from President)? Plus her sweeping generalisation about those youth that travel to other lands? Revisiting the Kate Couric interview was quite amusing in retrospect?

Couric: In preparing for this conversation, a lot of our viewers … and Internet users wanted to know why you did not get a passport until last year. And they wondered if that indicated a lack of interest and curiosity in the world.

Palin: I'm not one of those who maybe came from a background of, you know, kids who perhaps graduate college and their parents give them a passport and give them a backpack and say go off and travel the world.

She put down kids who travel, but she was Governor aged 43 or 44, therefore an adult for over 20 years, and no longer a kid? What a craic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Pocono Joe

(or one heartbeat away from President)?

Personally, I’m more comfortable with Palin one heartbeat from the presidency then Pelosi 2 heartbeats from the presidency... Long live Obama and Biden!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Personally, I’m more comfortable with Palin one heartbeat from the presidency then Pelosi 2 heartbeats from the presidency... Long live Obama and Biden!
    But this thread is not about Pelosi, Obama, or Biden, but why "Sarah Palin (is) One Smart Cookie?"

Oh, another quote from Charlie Gibson's interview that's very revealing?

GIBSON: You said recently, in your old church, "Our national leaders are sending U.S. soldiers on a task that is from God." Are we fighting a holy war?

PALIN: You know, I don't know if that was my exact quote.

GIBSON: Exact words.

Open mouth Sarah and insert foot? Plus, the religious implications from her "old church?" Absolutely clueless about the message being sent from a predominantly Christian country to a predominately Islamic country by someone campaigning to be a world leader?

O no. Enabling a bunch of back room yahoos to play God with the lives of Iraqis, dropping the ball on Afghanistan, giving support to the Israeli right...
    *cough*Jesus Camp*cough*

>_>

<_<

Sarah demonstrated what a "Smart Cookie" she was on the Internet, especially when she named her two Yahoo accounts for the conduct of Alaska State confidential business, obviously clueless that she would draw hackers like bees to honey:
    gov.palin@yahoo.com
    gov.sarah@yahoo.com
    And the passwords she used took minutes for hackers to socially engineer, given that she used words in them related to her family. What a tech savvy "Smart Cookie" ready to lead one of the most technologically sophisticated nations of the world, as well as to take part in the information security of the nation? The professionals at NSA must of choked on their coffee when they first read about the hacks and the simpleton that left herself wide open?

JohnMc1 wrote:
    As far as arrogance, stupidity and shortsightedness are concerned I and anybody can make that argument against the Democrats.

O certainly they're no saints either. However given the level of idiocy that seems rampant in the Republican party at the moment, they are by far the lesser of both evils. For instance, Sarah Palin as a VP candidate? For the love of baby jesus.....

The woman is uninformed, unable to think on her feet, holds some rather odd views of the world ("odd" meaning dangerous)...Surely a nation of 300 million can come up with better than that.
    Overheal wrote: »
    *cough*Jesus Camp*cough*

>_>

<_<

An extreme example, but yes, thats the kind of thing the world could do without, thanks. It's ok for non-superpowers, but once you get to the big leagues and put men on the moon, its just not on. Scares the rest of us, sets a bad example.

The woman is uninformed, unable to think on her feet, holds some rather odd views of the world ("odd" meaning dangerous)...Surely a nation of 300 million can come up with better than that.

She probably would have given Gordan Brown better gifts than 20 DVDs [containing ET and Psycho] and then tell them to take back the bust of Winston Churchill like that highly intelligent [:rolleyes:] Obama did.

She probably would have given Gordan Brown better gifts...
    Supposition? "She probably would have..." done this or that? What about something factual, with credible citations attesting to what she has actually done, that lends support to why the OP thought Sarah Palin was a "Smart Cookie?" (or contrary evidence why she is not?)

She probably would have given Gordan Brown better gifts than 20 DVDs [containing ET and Psycho] and then tell them to take back the bust of Winston Churchill like that highly intelligent [:rolleyes:] Obama did.

He might not have those on DVD.

Besides, what would he do with a Bible and a clubbed seal?

I miss Sarah Palin jokes on Jay Leno. She was such an easy target given her lack of preparation for national office and the frequent media gaffs she would make when interviewed. But I may have to retract some of my critique, given she has now qualified for office in the Obama administration, the key factor being that she too owed back taxes. Found this...

(CNN) – Alaska officials have told Gov. Sarah Palin she must pay back taxes on the thousands of dollars she received in state per diem funds while living at her home in Wasilla.

The Washington Post first reported last September that Palin had billed the state for nearly $17,000 worth of meals and other living expenses while staying in her own home during the first 19 months of her administration, even though the official governor’s residence is in Juneau.

The news clouded Palin’s self-styled image as a small government reformer...

Yes, "One Smart Cookie" is now qualified like the rest of the tax dodgers, including the McCain-Palin infamous Joe the Plumber who had a tax lien for failure to pay back taxes.

Wow, I guess there’s just no known cure for PDS (Palin Derangement Syndrome).

Paying taxes is patriotic, dammit.

• Advertisement

Rude I’ll grant you. The other points... NO. And PDS is very much OP... just look at the majority of comments, especially when you compare Palin with Joe Biden.

I searched for the term "Rude" in both the Charter and New Rules. Can't find it, buth then again I admire Sarah Palin... so who knows... it's must be there somewhere? And I thought moderating was the job of the moderators?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Less of the backseat moderating please. Just because you dislike someone else's post does not mean it breaks the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Wow, I guess there’s just no known cure for PDS (Palin Derangement Syndrome).

Palin is certainly deranged, but I don't think enough so to have a syndrome named after her.

Now Bachmann, on the other hand...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Trouser_Press

He might not have those on DVD.

Besides, what would he do with a Bible and a clubbed seal?

:D

I admire Sarah Palin

Go 'way!

Must. Try. Harder.

Sarah Palin – One Smart Cookie

Was it smart for her to exhibit a lack of fiscal responsibility leaving her 2 terms as mayor of tiny Wasilla in long term debt ($20 million)?

Source: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0808/12987.html

Was it smart for Palin to abuse the power of her high office by using it in a family dispute, attempting to get her former brother-in-law trooper fired?

Source: http://realclearpolitics.blogs.time.com/2008/10/11/troopergate_report_released/

Was it smart for Palin to publicly compliment Commissioner of Public Safety Walter Monegan for his job performance in late April 2008, followed by firing him a short time later claiming poor job performance?

Source: http://a.abcnews.com/Blotter/story?id=5778856&page=1

Was it smart to fail to vet Charles Kopp as a replacement for the fired Commissioner of Public Safety (Walter Monegan), resulting in his tenure in this top law enforcement office lasting only 14 days, before he too was asked to step down by Palin, and costing Alaska taxpayers $10,000 severance?

Source: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/10/09/cbsnews_investigates/main4512469.shtml

Was it smart for her to publicly proclaim before members of her church that "Our national leaders are sending U.S. soldiers on a task that is from God" (i.e., a holy war)?

Source: http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/Vote2008/Story?id=5782924&page=1

Was it smart for her to claim to be well prepared in international affairs when she didn't bother to obtain a US passport until a year before running for Vice President?

Source: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/thedishrag/2008/09/sarah-palin-tel.html

Was it smart involving fisherman and oil worker husband Todd Palin in the review of the state budget and personnel issues?

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/14/us/politics/14todd.html?scp=3&sq=Todd%20Palin&st=cse

Was it smart to use unsecured gov.sarah@yahoo.com or gov.palin@yahoo.com to conduct official State of Alaska business?

Source: http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/2008/09/17/palins_yahoo_account_hacked.html

Was it smart when as Governor she strongly supported the funding of "The Bridge to Nowhere" for about $400 million in federal highway funds, only to reverse her decision after the news media proclaimed to the nation how ridiculous and wasteful it was?

Source: http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/election2008/2008-08-31-palin-bridge_N.htm

Was it smart for her to bill Alaska for nearly $17,000 worth of meals and other living expenses while staying in her own home during the first 19 months of her administration, even though the official governor’s residence is in Juneau?

Source: http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2009/02/18/palin-told-to-pay-back-taxes/

Was it smart for her to spend $150,000 of 2008 campaign money on clothes, blowing $75,000 in one spending spree at Neiman Marcus?

Source: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1008/14805.html
    I admire Sarah Palin.

Palin's response: http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2008-10/42876696.jpg

I admire you Blue. You get beat down, dust yourself off and get back up fighting. Sometimes you remind me of Sarah Palin.

Maybe you’ve got something there. Maybe there is some evil Sarah Palin twin out there. How else could could the person you described have accomplished so much in life already? It’s not like she’s a Joe Biden or anything. How could the person you describe have accomplished just the followig three things… things many leading politicians couldn’t accomplish in a an entire lifetime?

1. Gov. Palin is a proven fiscal conservative who used her line-item veto to slash hundreds of millions of dollars in spending from the state budget. In considering this accomplishment, keep in mind that the Alaska Legislature is controlled by the GOP, meaning that the funding she cut had already been approved by legislators of her own party. Nevertheless, she made her vetoes stick. Consider, too, that because of the current high price of crude oil, Alaska is enjoying record budget surpluses. It's harder to practice restraint in times of plenty. And look at her entire record over time (more than as revealed by her position on a single bridge): Although Alaska has traditionally been more dependent than other states on federal funding (since the federal government owns such a large portion of the state's property and resources), even the often-critical Anchorage Daily News admits that Gov. Palin has "increasingly distanced herself from earmarking" since 2000, and that her having done so over the past year has been "the leading source of tension between Palin and the state's three-member congressional delegation." Actually exercising fiscal discipline in a time of plenty, at both state and federal levels and against the will of the members of her own party, is a better predictor for how she would actually govern on a national level than ten thousand campaign promises.

2. Gov. Palin kept her campaign promise to revamp the state's pre-existing severance tax on oil & gas production, replacing a structure negotiated behind closed doors by ethically challenged predecessors and the big energy companies with one negotiated in full public view — and then rebated part of the resulting surplus directly to tax-payers. Severance taxes are a kind of property tax charged on a one-time basis, at the time of production, on subsurface assets (like oil, gas & minerals) which can't be quantified and taxed through regular property taxes. There was widespread resentment and distrust over the version negotiated by Gov. Palin's predecessor with the three big energy companies who've traditionally ruled the roost in Alaska (ExxonMobil, ConocoPhillips, and BP). The new version negotiated and passed with Gov. Palin's support was thoroughly disinfected by the sunshine of public scrutiny. Although it's not a "windfall profits tax" — indeed, the base rate only went from 22.5% to 25% — it did permit the Alaskan people to share in a larger portion of the current high prices for oil by raising the additional, progressive portion of the tax from 0.25% to 0.40% on revenues between $32.50 and $90/bbl. Above that, however, the new law actually cut taxes by dropping the rate on revenues above $90/bbl to 0.1%. With the resulting budget surplus, after contributing to the state's fund for that future day when its oil & gas wealth is exhausted, she pressed for and got legislation to rebate a healthy chunk directly to tax-payers on a per capita basis, trusting them to spend the proceeds from this sale of the state's commonly-owned resources rather than trusting government to spend it for them.

3. Gov. Palin broke a multi-year stalemate over the financing and construction of a $40 billion cross-state gas pipeline that will deliver cleaner, cheaper natural gas to Alaska's own population centers (Alaskans themselves pay some of the nation's highest energy prices), while also delivering gas to the energy-hungry Lower 48. To do this, she had to break the monopoly power of the big energy companies by opening the project to competitive international bidding. Not only has a development contract with a Canadian company now been signed on better terms than had previously been discussed, but the former monopolists — finally spurred by competition — are cranking up their own plan that would not require any taxpayer investment. How precisely this will shake out remains to be seen, but Gov. Palin's vigorous action — calling special sessions of the state legislature and injecting herself directly and vigorously into the process — has ended the deadlock in ways that seem certain to benefit consumers. By this accomplishment, Gov. Palin has done more to advance the cause of American energy independence than any other politician — of any party, and at any level of state or federal government — in this century. But the national media have generally ignored this accomplishment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bobbyjoe

Palin is a moron thank feck she is nowhere near the nukeular codes is all I can say.

Advertisement