Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accessing your UCD files at home using Netdrive

Options
  • 12-02-2009 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭

I've been transferring files between UCD and home on a USB Key, but have been wondering whether there was a better way. Well: there is: UCD supports* Novell Netdrive, which is a way of mounting your UCD data volume on your PC at home.

All the details you need are on a UCD web page here. If you try this, be sure to use the server details "https:..." as specified in the text, not the one in the screenshot.

So, I have the Netdrive client installed and configured, and have a Drive N:. The "My Documents" I see on UCD computers is found under N:\Home@UCD-TREE\Personal . I can copy files to and from that disk as I do with any drive, and they will show up at UCD if I log in there. Since it's over the Internet, everything is slower, obviously, but it works.

What I like to do is synchronise my UCD Personal folder with a folder on my home PC, which I do using Microsoft SyncToy. That way, I can make changes on either side, run SyncToy at home, and be assured that both home and UCD have the latest of everything.

* by "support" I mean that the facility is there - which doesn't necessarily mean that you can go up to anyone at the IT Help Desk today and expect them to know all about it.

PS: I'm going to try this on (Ubuntu) Linux too. It's WebDAV, so it ought to work with DavFS2 and/or Cadaver.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

Advertisement