Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1.4 versus 1.8 petrol difference??

Options
  • 12-02-2009 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

To all you who feel the sympathy of a woman buying a car alone...was thinking of buying a Toyota Rav 4,1.8 cc, its 2001, mileage 68000 and price €6750. I'm useta driving a 1.4 focus, will I end up spending a fortune on petrol or is there a significant difference between 1.4 and a 1.8. All thoughts about this purchase would be so gratefully be appreciated. signed off ...single chick terrifed in used cars sales market!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

You will find the RAV 4 more thirsty for sure, probably at least 10mpg worse. Check out www.whatcar.com where you can look at all the figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

whats your annual mileage?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭flix1

I'm a woman! haven't a breeze, but I drive from Dublin to Mayo return journey at least 10 times per year. Let me take an average and say 12,000 per year??! Thanks so much you trusty motor men!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 blade999

The cost of motoring will go up with the rav as about 33mpg V's 45mpg
    Also tyres and maybe the servicing will be more expensive and road tax and Insurance. At the moment there is a world of Focus's on the market so try and make sure you have got rid of yours before you buy.
    Good Luck

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to me, I really do appreciate it. My own car is written off so the world is my oyster! still am finding the whole thing intimidating!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

flix1 wrote: »
    Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to me, I really do appreciate it. My own car is written off so the world is my oyster! still am finding the whole thing intimidating!

Ah - it's a great time to be a cash buyer. What are you looking for in a car?

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭junior_apollo

Do you really need a (mini)-jeep?... The weight alone compared to the car will make it a guzzler on petrol.. and as you said its a 1.8 aswell so yes you will notice a big difference between your focus and a 1.8 jeep.

Would you be better off with a car?... do you use the car during the week or it only for the trips west once a month? Either way with the prices of tax, (insurance wont be too much for you being a woman anyway) and services id be going for a car...

Sorry if that puts you off any but just my 2c

No the reality is I don't really need it. I drive probably 8 miles per day to work. Then the trip home to mayo. I do scuba dive so it could be handy for the gear... The insurance is only 95 quid extra, but the tax is about 200 quid extra. I'm still trying to get my head around petrol. So for example if during an ordinary week in dublin I would normally put 25 quid of petrol in the focus then the equivalent in the Rav 4 would be???

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Would the Rav4 really be any more use for scuba gear than a decent size hatchback? I doubt it. Why not start a new thread with your budget and what you need it for, and I'm sure you'll get loads of suggestions. As I said earlier, it's never been better to be a cash buyer.

Cheers for the advice...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

The fact that it's a 1.8 doesn't make it that much more thirsty than the focus. The fact that it's a 4x4 that isn't all that aerodynamic and is a bit heavier than a car is what will make the bigger difference. You may find €30 going in a week, but not too much more than that, maybe €35 tops, thats based on the Focus taking €25 currently. The biggest expense will be the tyres when they need replacing. When negotiating with one, try get new tyres as part of the deal if the ones on it are in any way worn. And get good makes, not cheap crap.
    People in this country are afraid of big engines, but a 1.8 isn't big. If you were moving from a 1.4 Focus to a 1.8 Avensis I'd almost say your fuel bill would bearly change at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Presume the Rav4 1.8 litre is 2wd only making the SUV lighter than if it was 4wd. Still though the Rav4 is a heavy vehicle so it will impact mpg.

Also is it the 3 or 5 door version, the 3 door version would be lighter again due to being shorter in lenght.

BTW €6750 sounds a bit expensive for a 2001 model compared to this one:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1308955

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

u could do much worse than look at a 1.6 or diesel skoda octavia
    loads of room for gear, cheap and ultra reliable-so many taxi men can't be wrong

avoid the 1.4 no good for long journeys

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

yeah what is the story with all the tax drivers and the Skoda Octavia's?

I got picked up by one a few weeks ago and was well impressed. I actually thought it was a Merc when it pulled up. In my defence I only got a side view and had over indulged on the gargle.

Very nice inside though, may have been spec-ed up.

dubmick wrote: »
    yeah what is the story with all the tax drivers and the Skoda Octavia's?

I got picked up by one a few weeks ago and was well impressed. I actually thought it was a Merc when it pulled up. In my defence I only got a side view and had over indulged on the gargle.

Very nice inside though, may have been spec-ed up.

cheap and ultra reliable
    prob not speced up if its a taxi

when i was getting a new car i test drove one just to discount it from my thoughts but ended up liking it so much i got a 1.6 so much equipment for about 2grand less than the equivalent golf

i would recomend 1 to anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 30 mixervilla

my gf has an 01 Rav 4 and loves driving it because its a jeep and higher on the road etc. She does have complaints about it too which are more relevant:
    petrol guzzler because of the 1.8L engine and the weight, poor handling on corners, expensive tax, tyres, servicing and the clutch isnt great on them either, she's currently saving for a new one!
    For that money and being a cash buyer id strongly recommend you steer clear of the Rav 4 as you could pick up a fresh 04/05 Vectra, 407, Almera/Primera or whatever you fancy very easily. Also bring someone who know about cars and car dealers, they'll screw you given the chance!

bring someone who know about cars and car dealers, they'll screw you given the chance!- mixervilla

now thats solid advice if u see something u want get someone like the aa to look at it for u. its not an expensive service i'm sure less than €200 and u'll be getting a good reliable car at the end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

Ditch that puny Rav4 and get a proper motor.

Octavia's are very nice, I have had my eye on the VRS version for a while now.It suppose to be brillant to drive, with great power, handling and decent fuel economy for a turbo charged machine.

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1116528

CB4_1116528_5_510873.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭carface

and the clutch isnt great on them either, she's currently saving for a new one!
    [/quote]
    Price replacing clutch you may get a shock. They are a common failure on the rav4.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Par72

flix1 wrote: »
    I'm a woman! haven't a breeze, but I drive from Dublin to Mayo return journey at least 10 times per year. Let me take an average and say 12,000 per year??! Thanks so much you trusty motor men!

Just because you are a woman doesn't mean you automatically know nothing about cars. I hate that "I'm a girl so I don't know anything about cars. Help me men" attitude.:rolleyes:

Anyway, that sounds very dear for an 01 Rav4. I'm sure you could get one cheaper or perhaps as you are a woman a pink micra would be more appropriate? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

....well, my SO had her heart set on one, so we got a loan of a 1.8. Wow, what a dissapointment - unrefined, gutless, noisy - and this on the N17. A back road would be worse.

So, she tried a Hyundai Tucson - no better. At my behest, the dealer had a Saab 9-3 Estate parked beside it. She really, really did not want to even try it. But, 15 miles later, pronounced it the winner.

Moral: sometimes what you aspire to can ...........dissapoint. Me? I'd forego the RAV and buy something with the qualities you want - height/space/comfort, but add in the practicality/economy of your Focus (good car), and buy a Scenic, or C-Max.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement