Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WWE's Workhorses

• 12-02-2009 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

Who do you think they are/have been over the years? Who have been the guys that, no matter their place on the card, were passionate enough to never say die, and continued on wrestling through injuries, personal issues, etc. Who are the guys that always put in 100% every match, every night, for every fan out there? Who are the true superstars that really bleed for the business, try to return early from injuries, love the fans, and never take "breaks" away from the ring?

I can think of a few, such as John Cena, Undertaker, & Triple H. Who else can you guys think of (past or present)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭Kane-N-Nite

I'll say Kane, but I don't expect many to agree with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

^ Why? Not being smart, but would like to know why you think Kane is a workhorse.

For my money it would be Jericho, Benoit, HBK. All able to carry outstanding matches with pretty much everyone. They can perform all over the card without losing credibilty, and do not need a belt to get over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Kane was the first guy to spring to mind actually. I know alot on here dont like him but I think he fits the workhorse mold for sure. Holly too but he got the boot. Maybe Regal but he foked up recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭Kane-N-Nite

gimmick wrote: »
    ^ Why? Not being smart, but would like to know why you think Kane is a workhorse.

I just think hes very comitted & loyal to the company. Like I said it's just my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

John Cena and Matt Hardy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Curt Hennig
    Shawn Michaels

Two guys I have never seen "phone in" performances from.

A thread like this is useless unless you tell people why you think your opinion :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭golfguy

what about sting in tna?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,919 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Kane..The guy never seems to be injured..Very good worker

kane must under usad guy in the wee just like mvp

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Kane,HBK ,Angle and Benoit. I couldn't be arsed to watch old 1990's **** so this is the order I go by. Honourable mention to AJ Styles too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Kane,HBK ,Angle and Benoit. I couldn't be arsed to watch old 1990's **** so this is the order I go by. Honourable mention to AJ Styles too

90's is old.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

golfguy wrote: »
    what about sting in tna?

To give Sting credit he really does put the effort in, his matches with AJ and Joe a few months ago were great but AJ and Angle are the workhorses of TNA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

kane must under usad guy in the wee just like mvp

:confused:
    Not being smart.. but what?

I would agree with Kane. He gets a rib as a character, but that would be creatives fault, what would not be creatives fault is how hard he obviously does work.

Nonsense. Kane should have wished the best for his future endeavours years ago. His character is so stale it is unbeliveable. He is incapable of putting together a half passable match, is no good on the mic. With those traits in mind, I fail to see what putting more of him on TV will achieve other than getting people to change the channel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

To give Sting credit he really does put the effort in, his matches with AJ and Joe a few months ago were great but AJ and Angle are the workhorses of TNA.

Kurt works his ass off in every match he has when most top guys do very very little. Joe does alot as well.

As far as the WWE, Kane's not a workhorse. He never works particularly hard in matches, he's stopped doing his only spot (top rope rolling clothsline)probably because it took too much work and the only reason he hasn't been released as he's seen as a good company man

Kane is a character. Kids like over-the-top comic-book style characters.
    WWE is now PG. Kane too is now PG. Thats why he still has a job and isnt setting anymore people on fire or doing anything he used to for that matter.
    Only his name remains.
    Does he even get referred to as 'takers brother anymore?

^ Ad Nauseum during the Rumble.

Fair points above. Still does not make him a good worker though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

gimmick wrote: »
    Nonsense. Kane should have wished the best for his future endeavours years ago. His character is so stale it is unbeliveable. He is incapable of putting together a half passable match, is no good on the mic. With those traits in mind, I fail to see what putting more of him on TV will achieve other than getting people to change the channel.
    None of what you said prevents him from being a workhorse going bby the definition of the OP. You might think he can't draw, or is a bad wrestler, but you have to admit he's in there week in, week out, performing anywhere on the card.
    Bubs101 wrote:
    As far as the WWE, Kane's not a workhorse. He never works particularly hard in matches, he's stopped doing his only spot (top rope rolling clothsline)probably because it took too much work and the only reason he hasn't been released as he's seen as a good company man
    Kane still does the flying clothesline.

For my money, Jericho and HBK are the best two workhorses in the WWE, as they are capable of having decent matches no matter where they are placed on the card. A name I'll put out there to watch for in the future is Shelton Benjamin. I know people say he's a spot monkey, but at least he is trying to constantly shake things up. His matches are rarely repetitive, and he looked like a real main-eventer against the Undertaker recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭AlphaMale 3OO

I thought Kane too. Puts up with a lot of sh1t with his charachter and whereas the big stars he came up with like Taker, HHH, Michaels etc. have all moved on to bigger things he gets treated like dirt and gets jobbed out to people like Khali etc. He never seems to complain about this and thats why he is a workhorse. He gets on with the job. Being a workhorse has got nothing to do with talent and everything to do with how you use the talent you've been given.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Does he even get referred to as 'takers brother anymore?

Think there might have been something mentioned during the Royal Rumble.

The problem that I have with Kane (and I would consider myself a fan of his) is that WWE blow hot and cold on him, leaving him with nothing to do for months at a time, at best jobbing to the stars, and then all of a sudden decide to put him in a feud with Batista or Mysterio, and expect fans to get excited again.

At this stage in his career, I think he might be more suitable in a bodyguard / enforcer role.

what about dave finley on ecw then

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

Mayb not over the years but over past year/two Miz and Morisson have been hard at work

Working the three brands some weeks putting in good matches n relatively entertaining on the mic. goin to be rewarded in the future with BIG singles pushes imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

I think 1997-2002 was the best time for WWE. DX, the coporation, NOD, the rock and steve austin at their best.

regarding the thread topic, HHH, taker, ric flair, bret heart and cena

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

And no one is saying Austin? Or Foley? When they gave they really gave.

None of what you said prevents him from being a workhorse going bby the definition of the OP. You might think he can't draw, or is a bad wrestler, but you have to admit he's in there week in, week out, performing anywhere on the card.

Id be there week in week out as well if my pay cheque was not bouncing. The fact that he is still the same mediocre (I am being kind in saying that) charatcer as what he was when he was first unmasked, almost 7 years ago, tells the entire story as far as I am concerned.

Can the same be said of Val Venis and Funaki? They do the job any time they are asked also.

6th wrote: »
    And no one is saying Austin? Or Foley? When they gave they really gave.

The thread is WWE, not WWF :o;)

Lol.

But i guess i just thought this thread was about present day workers.
    If we were talking about ever, theres no one who aint got shít on some of the workers of the 90s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Who do you think they are/have been over the years?
    The thread is WWE, not WWF :o;)

Lol.

But i guess i just thought this thread was about present day workers.
    If we were talking about ever, theres no one who aint got shít on some of the workers of the 90s.

By todays standards you do look at the likes of Jericho but when you read the OP as "over the years" some of the modern guys are far less impressive. That said I was a big fan in the 80s/90s and am a fair weather fan now days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Worker and Wokhorse are 2 different things in my opinion. A workhorse is the guy you can always depend on. Jericho doesnt count because he took a long period of absence when his passion ran out. A guy like Kane has been there through thick and thin and always done what was asked of him. Edge and Cena should be up there too. They put up with alot of bull in their careers with fans turning against them etc but instead of letting it get to them they just went out and gave more and more and made it work. Any injury they had they worked really hard to get back from and they have never given less than 100%.

HBK now yes maybe but could you say he was a workhorse his whole career? Great in the ring sure but a moany little biotch backstage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement