Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cat won't sleep in her bed

Options
  • 12-02-2009 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

myself and my cat recently moved house. i had no glass in some doors so cat was free to roam between kichen, utility and sitting room so she was sleeping anywhere she liked. i got glass put in and put her bed from old house into utility room but she is refusing to go near it. she sleeps on top of press instead. should i buy her a new bed or is it just a protest with her?
    she also won't use cat flap.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Lol..good luck makin a cat do anything they dont want to do. Leave her to sleep on the press (mine used to sleep on the cat litter gravel :confused::D). Shes not dumb..if she wants a comfy spot no better spot than cats for seeking them out! I wouldnt worry about her one bit ;)

As for the cat flap! Try her favourite treat and call her with it open and you on the other side. See if she'll go through! Unfortunately though some cats never get the hang of it (or never want to)!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

In my experience all kitties are like that - if you try to make them sleep/sit in a particular area and they don't want to, they simply won't.
    In fact I've had my cat on my and put him somewhere he's normally comfy and he seems to get up just to spite me! ;) they're just too independant to be told what to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

She's the boss....do what you're told. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Scorpio Girl

thanks for the replies, i guessed she was just being stubborn but needed a few opinions! guess i'd better prepare myself for the battle with the cat flap when i get home. think i'll get the kids next door in, she won't be long about running out then!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Cats like to sleep up off the floor - the higher the better. It makes them feel more safe and secure and less open to ambush while they sleep! It's their instinct. I'd give in on this one and put her bed on top of the press. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Scorpio Girl

thanks for that. i'll put her blanket up on top of press cos her bed won't fit. she finally came in through the cat flap last night, might have had something to do with me on my knees and her bowl of food in my hand!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I'm sure once she feels a bit more settled and secure in the new house she'll find other sleeping places a bit closer to the floor! :P Cats find it hard to cope with changes in their environment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

I had the same problem. Bought a big fancy expensive bed and he prefers to sleep on a cardboard box. Catnip spray on the bed worked for me in the end. You can get it on ebay for about 2 euro (+ P&P) or your local pet shop probably has it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Cats will just sleep everywhere.
    When my 2 were just kittens they lover sleeping in bed.
    But now at 7 months old they jump onto the counter, then up on top of the presses and sleep up there :p

Hell the female cat sleeps on top of the fridge! haha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

My two prefer my bed. There is a bed for them underneath, in case they get pushed off, but usually atop.

This started when the dog arrived, as they needed a safe entrance, and the only possible one was my bedroom window.

They are so heavy now - but they help keep warm in the winter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 drummeroisin

lol maybe the cats normal lol

Advertisement