Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

external harddrive nightmare

• 12-02-2009 5:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭

hey guys i have all my important stuff backed up to a 500 gig hd
    i can write to the external hd no problem, but today i wanted to copy a few albums over to my desktop so i could burn them, i tried to burn from ex hdd but it was very slow, but when i drag files over it not doing anything, i can hear the hdd ticking over but the whole thing just hangs, i tried dragging one mp3 over and it took about 5 minutes, i need to move about 4 gigs worth
    whats going on ? i have changed to drives speed to fast in policies, but it doesn't do anything, i hope my data isnt stuck there for ever, what can i do

2lc6vb7.jpg

eta: is there any way i can force file transfer, i'd like to move all my stuff if it's faulty hardware

edit: its only music i cant transfer, can move pictures, avi's no problem

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Have you tried to access this from another PC, it may be an issue with just your PC (whether drivers/USB problems/software issues/full local disk etc etc). It does sound like there is something wrong with the external disk but I would try it on another PC first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

no i have no access to another comp
    my research tells me i can force a move, i'm on vista, it has some command prompt type thing called Robocopy where i can force a move, but ive no idea where too begin, anybody have experience here,

or can give me the robocopy cmd promts to move F:\music\kenny music to C:\Users\Bobby\Desktop

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

sorry to correct you but in you first post you said that you had important stuff "backed up" to a hdd,

that means that you had stuff on your pc that was also on your external hdd incase of problems, as opposed to having stuff only on your external hard drive, which is the opposite to backed up, it is more like data suicide, they are very very unrealible and should only be used for backups or for transporting a collection of files

also judging by the fact you mentioned that the drive is ticking means that its a warrenty claim if possibal

next i would try the freezer trick.

sorry

Advertisement