Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom signal help

Options
  • 12-02-2009 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭

I have eircom broadband set up in the room i use it most.Signal quality is great in that room but my problem is that i cant get any wireless signal in my bedroom at the far side of the house.Can anyone suggest a cheap way of fixing this possibly by linking me to a cheap attena or something like that.(ebay preferably)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭bugfreebob

Fol20 wrote: »
    I have eircom broadband set up in the room i use it most.Signal quality is great in that room but my problem is that i cant get any wireless signal in my bedroom at the far side of the house.Can anyone suggest a cheap way of fixing this possibly by linking me to a cheap attena or something like that.(ebay preferably)

The cheapest way is probably to run an extension cable from your main eircom socket to somewhere in the middle of the house, and re-position your router there. It should reach all of your house, unless you have a very big house. If your eircom socket has the filter built in, then you can run the cable connected to the computer side of the filter. If not, move the micro-filter with the computer outlet to the new location, and make sure that any other sockets have the phone-type micro-filter installed. Use good quality cable - Cat-5 or better.

If you aren't able to do this, you can get pairs of Ethernet adaptors that plug into Power sockets, and transfer Ethernet over the electricity wiring, like baby monitors. You can then have wireless extended anywhere in the house.

See example below - you might find a better price somewhere else.

http://www.expansys.ie/p.aspx?i=148697

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I'd start with the simple things first - Most people don't realise how much the position of your wireless router affects its range.

If it is near a PC/TV/Monitor/Cordless phone the high charge/wifi signals can really damage range. Try exposing your modem as much as possible and the full length of its cables to move it away from sources of interference.

I live in a 100yo house with walls like ditches and put my crappy wifi coverage down to that fact. I moved my router away from underneath my PC desk and practically doubled the signal strength around the house.

Failing all of the above replace your router with an N-Range or RangeMax model from one of the leading brands. Buy it, try it and be careful with the packaging - if it doesn't suit, return it within the 7 days for a refund. I've heard good feedback about those.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I'd start with the simple things first - Most people don't realise how much the position of your wireless router affects its range.

If it is near a PC/TV/Monitor/Cordless phone the high charge/wifi signals can really damage range. Try exposing your modem as much as possible and the full length of its cables to move it away from sources of interference.

I live in a 100yo house with walls like ditches and put my crappy wifi coverage down to that fact. I moved my router away from underneath my PC desk and practically doubled the signal strength around the house.

Failing all of the above replace your router with an N-Range or RangeMax model from one of the leading brands. Buy it, try it and be careful with the packaging - if it doesn't suit, return it within the 7 days for a refund. I've heard good feedback about those.

Remember though to get the benefit of the N standard all the equipment must be 'N'. And a lot of the n equipment does not live up to its publicity at least if the reviews are to be believed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

I need some equipment to improve the signal as wires is not an option for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

there were these network boosters in lidl few week's ago for 60 euro, you plug one part of it into your router and wall socket near router, then the other one near where you want wireless, it uses your house internal wiring to boost siganl upto nearly 100% ive no link, but i bought them for a mate and he swears by them

• Advertisement
Advertisement