Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Purchase of entitlements

• 12-02-2009 5:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭

I am considering purchasing entitlements on 2 Ha that I currently have none for.

I rang a local auctioneer and he said he has some for sale as follows:

1) 600 per acre for sale at 3 times face value

This would give an annual payment of €3000 for an outlay of €9000.

Sounds like an extremely high entitlement value.

2) 140 per acre for sale at 2.5 times face value.

This would give an annual payment of €700 for an outlay of €1750.

I know that the DED average for the area is €330 per entitlement, so assuming entitlements are averaged in 2013, then the second option sounds like it might be best value.

Can anyhow advise what the story is from a taxation perspective if I purchase these entitlements?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

firstly it si INCOME, so the 1% Income levy will apply and secondly, the income will atract Income tax at your highest rate when you do up your accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭johnstown

Is there a capital allowance on the initial outlay for the purchase of the entitlements?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

I haven't the foggiest idea. Ask your accountant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

johnstown wrote: »

1) 600 per acre for sale at 3 times face value

This would give an annual payment of €3000 for an outlay of €9000.

Sounds like an extremely high entitlement value.

2) 140 per acre for sale at 2.5 times face value.

This would give an annual payment of €700 for an outlay of €1750.

Farmer journal did a piece on this back in 2007

http://www.farmersjournal.ie/2007/0303/farmbusiness/business/payments.shtml

Since that was 2 years ago and 2013 is something that we're not sure about yet, I would think that the percentages would gone down..
    johnstown wrote: »
    I know that the DED average for the area is €330 per entitlement, so assuming entitlements are averaged in 2013, then the second option sounds like it might be best value.

Can anyone explain more detail on this.. Would'nt this see a 75% min decrease in farm income in ireland ???

Advertisement